TOAW: Korea 50-51

RandallW

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played this scenario many times....there seem to be many divisions that are short some sub units, like an HQ and/or artillery regiment. I edited the scenario so some of these divisions would have those 'missing' units, even though i'm not sure if it's accurate to history ( even though it's hard to imagine a division going about it's business without an HQ ).

The sticky little problem i've encountered is that if I add an HQ to a division that arrives on the map after the first turn the scenario editor insists that it 'show' on the map ON the first turn....I can delay it's 'activation' till later, but sometimes that setup doesn't work! The unit is activated on turn 1, appearing long before it's regiments.

Moriturus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Air Unit Problems

A problem with this scenario is its treatment of some air units. For instance, the P-51 squadron is an irreducible 75 planes, thus disallowing the use of the P-51s for different missions. Worse yet is the carrier squadron, which lumps together F9F Panthers, F4U Corsairs, and A-1 Skyraiders. Each plane has its own characteristics and uses, but with this arrangement they must be used together regardless of the effectiveness of the individual plane types. The inclusion of the Skyraiders is the most glaring error: here is a plane whose mission is to fly low, slow and blow the crap out of stuff on the ground. Having to take the Skyraiders with the Panthers and Corsairs on air superiority missions is ludicrous.

[EDIT/UPDATE] I'm up to Turn 12 now, and it appears that my previous criticism about the aircraft formations is less justified than I thought. With all of the aircraft available to the UN player by Turn 12, having the big air units broken down, or splitting off the Skyraiders, is less important. One could argue that it is in the early game when the flexibility is needed with the air units. Really, though, the only thing the UN player can and should do early in the game is get as many South Korean units around Pusan as soon as possible and build up a defensive perimeter, and try to lose as few unsupplied SK units as possible so that they can be reconstituted.

Last edited:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
When those units arrive that you wish,(without HQ), activate a news unit and have their HQ unit join when the event takes place or tie that arrival to another event you know that formation will encounter such as force1 occupy or sumthin.

at deployment editing:
Go to that formation and place the HQ unit where you want it to go, then remove that unit. Go to it's formation setup and change the entry to en event rather than a turn and then tie the HQ to the news event you had created or another event that will occur when that force arrives. It can be a deadly circle sometimes fer sure.
I'm sure you have done this tho. Uhmmm, i dunno.
:cool:

aussiesta

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Only Fools Rush to China

Great scenario, overall.
Only a problem - once the American stabilizes the Pusan perimeter and starts moving north, is there a reason to get close enough to China, so Chinese units are activated?

Moriturus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
aussiesta said:
Great scenario, overall.
Only a problem - once the American stabilizes the Pusan perimeter and starts moving north, is there a reason to get close enough to China, so Chinese units are activated?
Yeah. So the f***ing scenario doesn't end before the fun starts. :angry: My game has just ended at Turn 29 with a draw. Actually, it's ended several times as I try to figure out some way to provoke a Chinese invasion. I invaded North Korea, bombed the Chinese airbases, and bombed the Chinese ground units. I still keep getting the "END OF SCENARIO" display. Is there any way to turn this off? Or do I have to edit the game? If I edit it, won't that make my saved Turn 27 and Turn 29 unplayable? :(

Unless there's some way to de-activate the early end of the game, I give this scenario a definite thumbs-down. Having the game stop early before the Chinese (or Russians, or both) intervene is like taking away the punch bowl just as the party's getting good. :cry: I think that a paradrop on the Chinese base will probably activate the Chinese for sure, from what I can see in the game editor. But the player should not have to resort to such drastic measures just keep the scenario going.

If anyone knows of a cheat or hack to keep my game going, please let me know. I was looking forward to a real battle from the Chinese/Russian forces.

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Moriturus said:
Yeah. So the f***ing scenario doesn't end before the fun starts. :angry: My game has just ended at Turn 29 with a draw. Actually, it's ended several times as I try to figure out some way to provoke a Chinese invasion. I invaded North Korea, bombed the Chinese airbases, and bombed the Chinese ground units. I still keep getting the "END OF SCENARIO" display. Is there any way to turn this off? Or do I have to edit the game? If I edit it, won't that make my saved Turn 27 and Turn 29 unplayable? :(
All the scen data is embedded in your pbm file. Editing the scenario will have zero effect on games started earlier. You can open the pbl in the editor and save your current position as a scenario with changes but that has it's own problems. Most importantly the scen timer is reset to turn 1, so you'll have to edit each turn based event, deleting ones that already happened and changing dates on the rest, ditto any replacements that don't carry through for the entire scenario. Also already awarded VPs from events will be gone as will loss penalty VPs.

Moriturus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dan Neely said:
All the scen data is embedded in your pbm file. Editing the scenario will have zero effect on games started earlier. You can open the pbl in the editor and save your current position as a scenario with changes but that has it's own problems. Most importantly the scen timer is reset to turn 1, so you'll have to edit each turn based event, deleting ones that already happened and changing dates on the rest, ditto any replacements that don't carry through for the entire scenario. Also already awarded VPs from events will be gone as will loss penalty VPs.
Feh. Too much hassle. I'm working on impoving the scenario by re-doing the event editor so the game doesn't end as easily: I'm raising the percentage chances of Chinese intervention and expanding the intervention activation zones.

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
map

hey, anyone has seen a decent map of Korea (North, especially) at a scale that makes sense for TOAW, like 5km/hex or 2.5km/hex...?

RandallW

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Moriturus said:

Unless there's some way to de-activate the early end of the game, I give this scenario a definite thumbs-down. Having the game stop early before the Chinese (or Russians, or both) intervene is like taking away the punch bowl just as the party's getting good. :cry: I think that a paradrop on the Chinese base will probably activate the Chinese for sure, from what I can see in the game editor. But the player should not have to resort to such drastic measures just keep the scenario going.

If anyone knows of a cheat or hack to keep my game going, please let me know. I was looking forward to a real battle from the Chinese/Russian forces.
I've played the scenario a few times with these results: I move forces north ( late in the game ) far enough for the Chinese to threaten, then I pull those forces south to prepare for the coming storm....since i've withdrawn the Chinese don't intervene, then if I poke north again the game has already decided on 'no intervention', and the scenario ends there in Jan 51.

It's been some time since I looked at the raw event settings; is the game designed so that if the trigger fails, it's never tested again?