5. The Battle of Britain
6. The Young Lions
7. Patton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re: best film, battle of britain

Originally posted by 17poundr
Yes, my chums, It has to be the classic Battle of britain.
It, has still the 'oldness' of the classics, yet, it is suprisingly intense, and realistic. Ofcourse, Spielberg has set a new standard, but I have over exposed myself to Saving Private Ryan.
Otherwise I would have said that is the best. (And looking at it objectively, Ryan and Schinlers list are very, very, good and important films, probably both deserving the number one spot), but as I am giving my subjective oppinion, I vote for the Battle of Britain.
By the way, I heard a rumour that Tom Cruise is working on a project about an American volunteer pilot in the Battle of Britain.
True or false???

Achtung Shcpitfoyer!!! AAAAAAAArrrrrggggghhhhhhhh.... RROOAAAMMM.......CRASHHHhhhhh.....
Just been watching BoB today actually - fantastic film.

I believe the answer to your Tom Cruise question is "true". No doubt in true Hollywood style he will win the entire battle single-handed on behalf of the grateful British (sorry to be cynical - I have a major problem with Hollywood re-interpreting history).

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Originally posted by dannybou
The Longest day is playing on History Television on the 5th of June. 4 hours long. I'm driving my wife crazy this week. I've taped so many documentaries that it will take me a few weeks just to get through them all...
My wife's the same way.........the only saving grace is that she just had surgery and the pain meds knocked her out enough I got to watch what I'd taped......

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Lance Williams
My wife's the same way.........the only saving grace is that she just had surgery and the pain meds knocked her out enough I got to watch what I'd taped......
Together with work, these boards, research projects that I'm doing, it's a wonder she is still talking to me. :D Actually she's wonderful!!

gus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Longest Day here, esp. the rare colorized version. Gives the best feel of the scope, equipage and tactics of a major combined arms operation. Also filmed in part on the actual battlefield with some reconditioned vehicles. Great cast and photography. Advised by the actual participants.

michammer

Reaction score
Country
ll
My favourite WWII movies would have to be:

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Longest Day
3. Bridge too Far
4. Battle of Britain
5. Dambusters
6. The Immortal Battalion
7. Ice Cold in Alex
8. Kelly's Heroes
9. Das Boot
10. Dirty Dozen

Others I enjoyed are:

11. Too Late the Hero
12. We Dive at Dawn
13. Tobruk
14. Cockleshell Heroes
15. Ill met by Moonlight

I also enjoyed most of the other movies that have been mentioned.

Though not a movie, I liked Band of Brothers.

Even though not a WWII movie, Zulu was fantastic - the part where they sing at each other is great in surround sound.

I thought Pearl Harbor was crap as was The Thin Red Line ('98 version) however, the black and white version (from the 50s?) was good.

Escape to Victory is enjoyable with a few amber friends, though it was really ruined by Stallone.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just watched the bridge at Remagen. The tanks used by the US forces in that movie are definitely not Shermans. Would they be Pattons?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:armed:
As a new member to this forum as of today I say Hi.

The longest Day is the best WW2 film although A Bridge to Far is excellent. Patton is certainly a top 5.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by creeping death
As a new member to this forum as of today I say Hi.

The longest Day is the best WW2 film although A Bridge to Far is excellent. Patton is certainly a top 5.
Welcome to our private Army - erm, I mean to the Forums. Yeah, Forums, not an Army, that's what I meant.

Forums not Army, Forums not Army, Forums not Army...

Hello anyway.

Dr. S.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct Danny. Also in Battle of Bulge it is the same way. They used Spanish Pershings I believe. Now a days military movies get the weapons done correctly, but I think back then the audience was really concerned with authencity as much as we are today. Here is my chime on my favorite ww2 movie. Has to be of a Texan of course. To Hell And Back.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: BEST WORLD WAR 2 MOVIES

Originally posted by jim hansen
TORA TORA TORA
MIDWAY
TWO OTHER VERY GOOD MOVIES THAT SHOWED BOTH SIDES OF THE CONFLICT IN REGARDS TO THE PACIFIC CONFLICTS.
VERY GOOD SPECIAL EFFECTS AND AS MOST KNOW MUCH OF THE FOOTAGE IN TORA WAS USED IN MIDWAY AS WELL.

He is a Texan as well

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
Tom Cruise sucked in Top Gun, please not another military movie
Top Gun was not a military movie, so much as a "boys with toys" movie.

There was so much wrong with it, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
Top Gun was not a military movie, so much as a "boys with toys" movie.

There was so much wrong with it, I wouldn't know where to begin.
Have you heard the Tarantino speech on this which reveals Top Gun to be a Gay fantasy movie?

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
Have you heard the Tarantino speech on this which reveals Top Gun to be a Gay fantasy movie?

Dr. S.
I heard something to that effect, but I don't buy it. It may have become that, but I do not believe it started that way. If it was, then they did a good job hiding the fact. When the movie came out, just about every boy in the high school I worked at saw it.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
I heard something to that effect, but I don't buy it. It may have become that, but I do not believe it started that way. If it was, then they did a good job hiding the fact. When the movie came out, just about every boy in the high school I worked at saw it.
I would post it here, I've got a transcript, but I'd need to spend a little while editing it for public consumption. We all know what Quentin's use of language is like...

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
I would post it here, I've got a transcript, but I'd need to spend a little while editing it for public consumption. We all know what Quentin's use of language is like...

Dr. S.
I believe he said it, I don't believe the movie was intended that way.

gus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by RichardS
It was definetely a replica. The turret was real good, but the chasis needed a lot more work. What I find was interesting in A Bridge Too Far a Leopard 1 was used. It can be considered a direct descendent of the Panther/Tigers. :)

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:
The tanks in Kelly's Heroes, filmed I believe in Yougoslavia, were Yugo Army T-34's in masquerade.
In To Hell and Back, Shermans faced off with M-41 Walker Bulldogs. You may well have never heard of the Walker- it was an unpopular design and dropped from U.S. inventory. I wish I had the dough for all these toys like the services have!

gus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by dannybou
Just watched the bridge at Remagen. The tanks used by the US forces in that movie are definitely not Shermans. Would they be Pattons?
The tanks were U.S. M-26 Chaffee light tanks, on loan by the Yugoslav Army, (which portrayed G.I.'s) bought from U.S. surplus market.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by Gus
The tanks in Kelly's Heroes, filmed I believe in Yougoslavia, were Yugo Army T-34's in masquerade.
In To Hell and Back, Shermans faced off with M-41 Walker Bulldogs. You may well have never heard of the Walker- it was an unpopular design and dropped from U.S. inventory. I wish I had the dough for all these toys like the services have!
Oddly enough; I really liked the design of the M-41 Walker Bulldog. Unforunately; it was neither fish nor fowl. It wasn't really a light tank nor was it a medium M-48.

Cheers!
:toast: