The First Blitzkreg - attack

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think the Game will only tie together on the final title, not one at a time which is pretty much as you would expect.

As for exactly what that final game will look like, that is too far down the road for me to comment on really. We've had some discussion and I know what is planned only in principle.

Glenn

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well I finished my first game playing the computer. I was the Germans and attacked the Poles in the getting strated scenario. I lost.... big time!!!! Definitely not the same way a PzC game is played. I need to practice more.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glenn Saunders said:
I previously indicated we would look at this issue of saving the MP cost to attack.

Unfortunately this is not as easy as it sounds and this is why the feature exists in PzC and not the TWE Series. You see, since the cost to attack is based on the movement cost into the defending hex. So there would be no way of knowing what movement cost to save for this purpose. That is you could move a unit to a hex next to two enemy hexes and be able to attack one hex but tnot the other. And just saving the nominal combat cost wouldn't help anyone.

So I don't think this is one you'll see - but I thought I let you know we looked at it.

Glenn

Hi Glenn:

I wasn't quite thinking of this function in the way you described.

Try this, I think it's simpler and will work:

When the "where can I move" function is on, and you click on a unit, TFB highlights those hexes the unit can reach, and shawdows all other. In the highlighted hexes, print in small numbers how many movement points would be used TO REACH THAT HEX from the present hex of the unit.

From this point, it's relatively easy for the player to do ONE subtraction -- i.e. this unit has 12 MPs to start, it costs 7 to reach this highlighted hex, and thus I know I will have 5 left and can attack across the river. (as an example)

Just tell us how much it costs to get there. Then instead of multiple hexes, we only have to subtract and figure if there is enough MP left to attack from the hex we plan to move to.

Either way, thanks for the followup.

VM

Reiryc

Reaction score
dannybou said:
Well I finished my first game playing the computer. I was the Germans and attacked the Poles in the getting strated scenario. I lost.... big time!!!! Definitely not the same way a PzC game is played. I need to practice more.
Movement towards objective hexes is the key, not destruction of the enemy. So remember that as you play!

Use some of your infantry to simply cordon off the poles from your rail lines (that you should repair to ferry in supply) and the rest to help with assaults. Also make sure you use those recon planes to help you move without accidentally bumping into the enemy. Lastly, don't advance on a broad front.

:)

Sol Invictus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very interesting discussion. I am waiting for Santa to bring my copy so all I can do is read about it. Sounds like I will need to make some mental adjustments for this game. I have been programed by a couple of decades of gaming that the fondest desire of a wargamer is to surround and destroy the enemy. I guess I can understand where the designers are going here since more often then not, an enemy is commonly defeated by destroying his will to fight than actually physicly destroying him. This seems to be reflected by the greater importance assigned to gaining key physical objectives rather than destruction of units. It seems that by simply cutting a unit off from supply, that it will be unable to effectively fight and will wither on the vine. I can't imagine that it will require a large force to contain beat up and unsupplied/issolated units. Contain and ignore while driving toward the political/physical objective seems to be the key from what I have read. Put the onus on the unsupplied enemy to attack out of the pocket instead of the attacker having to slog into and reduce the pocket. If it is difficult for the offensive player to mount a strong attack to reduce a pocket, it must be horribly more difficult for an issolated, out of supply, and weakened force to fight it's way out. Can't wait to get the game and actually see what everyone is talking about.

Sol Invictus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks dannybou, just found this forum after reading about TFB. I use to buy and play all of the old Battleground games years ago but I started playing more grand strategy titles for a change. Now I'm ready to dive back into good ole wargames and will be getting several for Christmas. After I get my bearings, I look forward to doing some PBEM since there are so many fine wargames either out or coming soon. I barely dabbled in a few PBEM games several years ago and am looking forward to it again.

Last edited:

joel137

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks now and can not resist throwing in my 2cents (in fact it got me to register here).

I've owned TFB for about 4-6 weeks now. I'm a forty year veteran of wargaming and suffer a bit from that curious deterioration of old age, which allows one to maintain the fiction that others are entitled to your own opinion.

Playing around with the game right out of the box, I confess, that I shared many of the concerns of the poster that decried the lack of flank attack modifiers and stacking limits on the attack. (N.B. there are wargames at the operational level that do provide hexside flank modifiers in their combat model; DBWII is one of the more obvious current examples.) I think legitimate arguements can be made both pro and con for such modifiers, depending on what else is in the model!

I decided to reserve judgement, thinking that some of my objections may be simply a symptom of not having learned the model very well. I've gained more experience now, some based on the hints provided by posts in this thread; and feel more or less happy with the model. One naturally has to look at the whole context of the model and view it holistically as odd features may not make sense in isolation, but in fact may be a reasonable design solution when looked at in the whole; and may appear on surface to be very different then other equally valid solutions that other game designers have arrived at.

IMO, the fact that one may make multiple attacks from different hexsides does in fact provide its own flank modifier as well as in some sense allow attacks at greater than the stacking limit (they are just made in echelon).

The model certainly puts a premium on correct combined arms usage to break out of WWI like stalemates, which were certainly possible in WWII.

Concering the France 40 scenario. I'm in the middle of playing what I think will be a successful German attack on France. I just took Paris, though the point total is still a major German defeat, but there is about a month left to go in the game.

I think I'm finally understanding the combat system. I followed E_Von_Manstein's advice. To which I'll add the following.

a) It appears to me that in order to ensure Hollands fall on the first turn, you must provide lots of ground support for the attack on The Hague, and its vital to do so on Rotterdam in order to eliminate the defenders by air attack (the paratroops that land next to Rotterdam don't have the MP's to actually attack; they can merely move into it if the defenders are destroyed out right.

b) My basic strategy was a two pincer thrust, I think this may be necessary as one doesn't have the historical surprise that the Germans had originally. Naturally one of the pincers is going through the Ardennes, as the units are placed there at the start. The other is an attempt to pierce through the Belgian plain. Here it is important to get a bridgehead across the river Dyle? on the first turn. If not the allies can put up a formidable defensive line behind that river, which shields most of the Belgium plane and will make slogging through difficult.

c) Pay attention to Manstein's hints in earlier posts about use of air assets and making liberal use of the breakdown feature; I am mostly fighting with broken down divisions where it counts.

I'll report again regarding some dates in the game and the results as I continue.

joel137

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
unit breakdown

A question for those who know the rules better than I.

Are there any penalties for breaking divisions down into regiments (other than wearing out your mouse clicking wrist)?

I'm thinking of penalties like in Panzer Campaigns where broken down units suffer faster rates of fatigue than non-broken down units. Or perhaps anything else.

In other words is there any reason not to breakdown units other than one's own personal fatigue?

A wish:

It would be nice, if all the regiments in a division would be high-lighted when a regiment is selected. I tend to like to keep the regiments in some close proximaty to each other for aesthetic reasons and its hard to hunt for the other units under the stacks. This is something that DBWII does quite nicely.

On a side note: I am eagerly looking forward to the next installment of the franchise.