Tarawa CGs- Which One?

syfaulk

Reaction score
Tarawa has been on my "want to play" list for the longest time. However, could never find the time to do it. Now, my regular FtF opponent have dedicated ourselves to playing it. We are not going to undertake CGIII for serious fear of it's sheer size, scope and endless stress on our dicecups.

So, for those of you who have some experience with it, which is (in your opinion) better to play, CGI or CGII? We are leaning towards CGI since the Marines already start with a toe(nail)hold, so it would not all be ROF-fests against LVTs.

OTOH, CGII includes the pier.....

Opinions?
-Scott

Toedwy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In My Opinion.

What makes the CG Tarawa so attractible is the beach landing. There are not many scenarios out there that emulate a beach landing, but there are a ton of scenarios that emulate after the landing.

rryeates

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tarawa CG

Well I have played the two landing CGs (the big one 3 times). Have not played the remaining one. Had a blast every time. I'd go for the big one, but, if you have ruled it out, you probably can't go wrong with either. There is nothing like bringing those LVTs into the zone of fire though.

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

I think you really owe it to yourself to play the beach landing one.

Hint: get hold of the BRT terrain chart that is around the Internet somewhere (which really should have gone in the module, IMO). Do the first turn or two for practice... there are lots of new rules and concepts, a practice run will get all the bugs out before undertaking the whole thing. And come here if you need rules advice.

Then, have the Jap set up, have the USMC pick his waves, bring down the initial Bombardments and ... GO!!! Be forewarned, the first 6 turns will take FOREVER. But it will pick up after that.

And remember, no matter how bad it looks for the Marine, no matter how dispirited he may become, no matter how many Personal TCs he fails... NEVER give up! You'll be missing out on the real fun of this CG... letting the Marines who survived the initial carnage exact ruthless and violent revenge.

This is as fun as ASL gets, anybody who disses it just doesn't get it.

syfaulk

Reaction score
Whoa, that violent revenge thing really got me excited about trying it. Now it'll just take some convincing my opponent. Our greatest fear is the level of commitment this thing will take. We'll be playing the same thing for about a long time being that we are going to be playing for about 5-6 hours once every two/three weeks.

Anyhow, anyone know where I can find that Tarawa terrain chart Matt mentioned? I found a link on the WebDex, but it's dead. Does anyone have the file?

Thanks,
Scott

LtDan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely go for the beach landings. They will take a while, but it's great fun. Make sure you read the rules very carefully!

I've started two CGs. Would love to finish it someday...

DANO

Joe W.

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BRT CG

If anyone is interested, I'm ready to play a PBEM CG 3 of BRT. My japanese setup is ready. Played once as Marines (gave up on day2), would like to try the japanese to the bitter end. At least 3 mailings a week.
I started this CG recently, but partner disappeared.
Joe W.

Joe W.

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BRT CG charts

Someone asked about the BRT optional terrain charts.
One is in the HoB Magazine (FtF?). I have that and can scan it for anyone.
A 2nd was on the web (CF), and done by a gamer from the Tidewater gamers (Sean Deller). I don't have the file anymore, but could scan the chart and send, if interested.
Joe W.