Tactical Decision Game Scenarios

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the "rough terrain" threat earlier in this folder, the website link that has most (goes back to 1996)of the USMC Tactical Decision Games is not dead.

The current site is Marine Corps Gazette

Last edited:

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some TDG's that, in my opinion, lend themselves to TacOps follows. The "*" denotes ones that over the years, I transitioned to TacOps and enjoyed very much. There appeared to be a "golden age" 1998-1999

Flank Guard, #96-3
Flank Guard – An Alternative Reality, #96-5
Flank Guard Continued, #96-7
Flank Guard Part III, #96-9
On the Road to Martinstraus, #96-11*
Contact at the Han Lu River Bridge, #97-6
Han Lu River Bridge Part II, #98-1
Bridgeton Crossing, #98-4
Bridgeton Crossing Part 2, #98-6
Bridgeton Crossing IIa, #98-7
Attack on Rommerback, #98-10*
Battle Along the Tziepov, #99-4*
Battle Along the Tziepov Continued, #99-6*
The Gates of Fire, #05-12

BenPower

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks

Thanks for the link and info... I'm going through them now :D . I've also ordered Maj John F. Schmitt's "Mastering Tactics", a workbook of 15 TDGs.

If this doesn't kick-start some good TacOps scenario ideas, I don't know what will!

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've also ordered Maj John F. Schmitt's "Mastering Tactics", a workbook of 15 TDGs.
Schimtt is/was a prodigious TDG designer, and military author/thinker. I have that book here right now. I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 would make a nice transition to TacOps. Of note: I have TacOps solo'd over the years Enemy over the Bridge/Gap at the Bridge, Battle of the Garagiola River/BotGR Revisited.

Dennis H: The T/O charts that you lamented over losing with the demise of the older version of the MCA TDG website can be found in the appendices of the "Mastering Tactics" book. :D

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dennis H: The T/O charts that you lamented over losing with the demise of the older version of the MCA TDG website can be found in the appendices of the "Mastering Tactics" book. :D
I've thought about ording it for a while. I do have another source for good TOE stuff though. What I lack is something that folks would be hesitant maybe to divulge. For the support battalions how much of the equipement and in what organization and how are they attached for deployement.

I know they don't take every piece of equipment (although most could go) or everyone as my wife's uncle was left at Lejune with a group of guys and some equipment during Destert Storm/Shield.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dug out my "Battle for Garagiola" inspired TacOps map and marveled at how simpleton and ugly it was. I am now working on a new rendition - thanks to Don's map textures. I will try to make it look closer to the original, and add deployment boxes to the appropriate edges, and if it is fit for public consumption you all may see it. :p

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just an update.

Newer colors to my previously nasty Garagiola Map, now somewhat less nasty. :)

I have created deployment boxes Alpha - India, so each road/trail entering the map and two all water areas now have them.

I deleted my previous terrain file and just about finished re-coding. I will then go back to tweak the graphic again to make it more representative to the terrain code.

I still have the OOB's that I created whenever it was that I last played this problem. For my first test, I'm going with roads being "roads" - go figure, trails will be "clear". Low ground with be "R1", and high ground "R2"

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Change from first play test. All non-road, town, woods terrain is now coded R1.

JWW

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never seen those TDGs before. Is there a place where you can view the 'official' solutions to each one? Thanks.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge only in the original Marine Corps Gazette editions, solutions generally followed 2 months behind. If you are a member of the Marine Corps Association, you are entitled to "search the archives" on the website and save/print the ones that most interest you.

JWW

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmmmmmmm. Considering that I'm retired Army, I'm not a member of the Marine Corps Association, lol. I'm gonna check out their web site, however, and see if the solutions might be somewhere on line. Thanks for the information.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have a specific scenario or two, I could dig through what I have, scan it, and send it over to you.

Thank you for your service.