State Farm 79

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's an oldee but a goodee- State Farm 79! This time, with Corporal Abatis at the helm for the Mother Russia, and First Lieutanant SoccerDJ taking on the defense of State Farm 79 for the Facist Invaders...

WILL General Balck's armored flanking fuming fanatical facist forces reach State Farm 79 in time to save the 209th Pioneer Battalion from utter destruction and damnation? ! WILL they deal a death blow to the 97th Guards Tank Brigade as it falls on the farm like a ton of bricks?! Will Rocky and Bullwinkle escape from their burning broken bunker in time to foil Boris and Natasha's evil plan to take the farm from the inside via TREACHERY?!

Duhhhh....I dunno. BUT- we'll keep you posted, cos I'm unemployed, and Daniel is a student. A gaming match made in heaven :halo:

Turn one: The USSR drives its forces south to liberate State Farm 79. Armor crests the hills overlooking the farm, spying out potential ambushes and targets. No contact as of yet.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Turn 1As my troops shiver in the cold praying that their reinforcements arrive a call crackles over the HQ radio "Russian tanks spotted cresting hill...." Immediatly the alarm goes out and the men wake themselves out of their day dreaming to prepare for the Russian armor

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 2

Heavy fire from the advancing Russian Armor on the German forward positions in answer to an 88 battery knocking out a T34 at long range. The 88's are dug in within suburbs- a lucky shot knocks one of the battery out, disrupts their communications, and sends a cheer out from the Russian lines! The rest of the Soviet forces race to their deployment areas as the Armor engages the German forces.....no sign yet of Rocky or Bullwinkle.....

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
As the Germans hear the Russians cheering the tremble in their trenches not from the cold anymore but because of the sight that they see when they peek over their sandbags.......

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
24 minutes into the action:

Soviet Tank forces of the 97th Tank Brigade over run the outermost eastern German trench network, driving the Nazi defenders out of their fortifications and claiming the first objective of the action. A company of T34's duels with a battery of 88's ensconced within the buildings of the farm nearly a km away, getting the better so far.

Red infantry arrives on the scene and drives to the front. Soviet HQ's deploy and set up communications with their subordinates on the line, and the unlimbering artillery and mortar batteries. Its business as usual for the brave warriors of the Great Patriotic War! Kill the Nazi invaders! :nuts:

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
.....meanwhile the Germans sit in their trenchs knowing they can do nothing until the tanks are right on top of them for now the must listen to the approaching tanks and continue to pray for reinforcments........the brave 88 is fire and fire with only minimul results and will most likely be destroyed soon. Also the forward machine gun platoon was overrun and is retreating like mad men back to the next line of trenchs.....

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
30 minutes into the action:

The brave soldiers of the USSR continue their offensive efforts to liberate State Farm 79 from the fascist pigs :cheeky:

Red infantry occupies the houses & trenches that moments before were in the hands of Nazis. They have no time for prisoners- the German wounded who were left behind in the retreat are shot out of hand; the brave warriors of Mother Russia know all too well that they would receive like treatment.

Soviet armor occupies the hill due south of their newly taken eastern most objective, and begin to shell the next line of defenses, as more armor and more infantry race to the area to cut off the German positions- dealing with them one by one- like the heads of a hydra! The body of the beast- the main buildings of the farm, is in sight.

Soviet artillery is zeroing in on their targets, preparing for massed fire on the next line of German defenses. HQ units struggle to keep up with the rapid advance.
All hail the proletariat! Wipe the Nazi invader from the map! Sweep him from the very earth, and cleanse Mother Russia of his vile and evil precense.

FIND ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE!! :D

Last edited:

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
.....meanwhile back at the German HQ the officers argue about what the best plan for defensive as one 88 as already be knocked out....... in the trenchs the German engineers sit waiting for the tanks to move in range hoping they survive the artillery barrage......

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
36 minutes into the Russian offensive:

The first Soviet artillery shells crash into the forward German lines, and the defenders hunker down for the duration of thebarrage. Before the smoke can clear, massed fire from T34's mercilessly pound the next German out post on the way to State Farm 79- a necesary objective, inflicting heavy casualties on at least one pltn. of the German 209 Pioneers Battalion.

Soviet KV tanks duel at long range with another battery of 88's brought up and placed between buildings at State Farm 79 proper, as German STUG's support them from nearby. The big guns of the battle exchange blows over a wide expanse of the frozen Russian fields.

A German reconaisance probe- or a victim from the initial attack, it has yet to be determined which, has been spotted to the far east, behind the Soviet line. A detachment has been sent to deal with the problem.

More artillery has been ordered to pound the German foreward positions, and the infantry doubletime to coordinate with the tanks- it will soon be house to house fighting.

AAMG's deploy along the higher elevations. They will shoot Rocky the Flying Squirrel on sight. It is believed that he is doubling as a carrier pigeon. :nuts:

Defeat the Facists! Onward for Mother Russia!

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
..... meanwhile the German officers decide it is time to withdraw their forward engineer platoons until reinforcments can arrive.... so retreat is sounded and the platoons move towards the rear all under the watchful eyes of the Russian tanks.

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
48 minutes into the action:

The Soviet advance slows down, as fire from the German 88's knock out 2 T34's, and disrupt their respective platoons, forcing the Red tankers to pull back and re organize. Contact with the HQ's must be re established, as many units are in low supply, ranging too far ahead of their HQ's.

German Pioneers doggedly hang on to their forward positions in the center, taking out a T34 and contributing to the confusion of the Soviet spearhead. Massed tank and mortar fire on the entrenched pioneers achieve nothing. Riflemen are just behind, while close assault troops mop up the retreating Germans in the south, pushing them west.

Another German probe is viewed to the north- no tank sightings yet, it doesn't appear to be a reconaisance in force. Contact has been lost with the German southern probe. The German's stiffened resistance in the center has them holding on to a draw.

The Soviet Forces must prevail! Red soldiers, slay the Fascists, or be summarily excecuted yourselves!

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
The German engineers barely hang onto the objectives in the middle of the map as the brunt of the soviet attack bears down on them. I continue my probe of the enemy looking for weak spots but not seeing any...... I wish my tanks would hurry up and deploy to their positions I could have used them 40 mins ago. But for now my troops must hold on in their trenchs until reinforcments arrive.

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
54 minutes into the action:

The Soviet tank forces punch a small hole in the German center, taking the next objective in the chain.

Only one more German defensive position is between them and State Farm 79. German 88's and tank killers have their guns trained on the field of advance. The Russians will have to advance carefully- the earlier, heady period of rapid advance westward seems over, as the lines begin to solidify.

KV tanks are dispatched to guard the Northern flank, as several German units are spied behind the tree line along the highway from the hills overlooking the battlefield. And now a word from our sponser, Uncle Ivan's used Trucks!

"Comerrades! Uncle Ivan has wonderrful deal forr you! All trruck must go, werry quick like! We have good trrucks, shot trrucks, hiding trrucks and fleeing trrucks, all for a werry rreasonable prrice. My trrucks come fully winterized and rready to go! They arre going rright now, quickly! Get them beforre the fascist pigs do! Come on down, complimentarry vodka bottle with everry purchase! Brring flame and rrag forr BIG Molotov Cocktail Parrty! Watch out forr flying shrrapnel; The Frritzies, they arre close by now to the Trruck Lot. So come quick to a few km norrth east of beautiful State Farrm 79 and get a trruck! Now back to ourr live battle field report" :cheeky:

Russian infantry casualties begin to mount as a result of acurate artillery and the heavy weapons of the defending Pioneers at close range. The mop up of the southern sector, nearly complete, has not come without cost.

The Soviet forces re group, consolidate their gains, and prepare for the next step. They cling to a minor victory.

Last edited:

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Uncle Ivan will be dissapointed as my troops where able to infilitrate the rear lines and take the trucks. My middle line is weak and will likely fold soon because my reinforcements are to little to late. In the south I have slowed down the Russian advance but should have committed more troops to the front earlier on in the fight. Soon my men will have to charge from their trenches if they hope to win.

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 12:

Ok Daniel, 2 more to go, and its a draw..89 points for a Allied minor V, with a 100 point victory hex 250 meters away..It all comes down to this: How much can you make me pay for it :)

Not enough time for a "deep grab". That last out post of yours east of Sate Farm 79 is the closest I'll get to buying the farm. It would take forever to root you out of all of those buildings. Nope. Not gonna happen this game. Its minor V, or draw :clap: or possibly minor defeat for the Allies :censored:

So, you know where I gotta go. And I know, that you know that I know. And now we all know. :cheeky: That; we know.

12 minutes. 250 meters. 89 points...

!!!99 bottles of beer on the wall, ninety nine bottles of beer!!! :toast:

Good hunting! Enjoying the game. :)

Last edited:

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
well my reinforcements finally arrive into the fight although half of them are useless against my enemys tanks. Hopefully I can hold the center objective and kill enough enemy to keep a draw or maybe a minor victory. It will all come down to the last turn........

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Final result...

Allies minor Victory.

Right, then. The Allied plan was simple: Crush each advance position eastward of State Farm 79 one by one. I hoped to secure a minor victory, or draw at the worst with this method. I'm a very cautious player on the attack- until I get impetuous and say for instance in another current EF2 scenario where I am the attacker, after 6 or 7 turns of fairly careful organizational movment and artillery prep fire in "To Save Budhapest" vs Jason Stonewall Petho, I RASHLY- (so rashly) extend a company + of wonderful, very missed now, SS Pz V's into a "fake" breach with supporting infantry a mere 250 meters behind(I only had to wait 1 more turn.. :cry: :violin: Anyway, they were all captured in the next turn. 17 tanks. Panthers.. :dead: :laugh:

Back to State Farm 79- where I was able to restrain myself from tendancies like this, and I used ALL Russian armor resources in a big wedge to force my way to a minor V. Soccer DJ's German defense was pretty stiff. The last of his advance outposts didn't fall until turn 13(of a 14 turn game)and I was never in a position to get into the city proper- though I made a stab for it on turn 14. Fell short.

Basically, his 88's and STUGs from the heavy cover of the city, using smoke at times and moving around- managed to keep me at arms length. Only a few of my tanks were knocked out this way, but disruptions were very common obviously slowing my advance.(and brew ups started getting more frequent once I closed the gap in territory between us).

German armor re enforcments were an unfortunate variable for the Germans- as they only arrived on the scene to impact events for the last 2 turns. They did inflict casualties when they arrived. If they were there a turn earlier, or if there was one more turn, we may have had a draw.

I think a key was that I moved my entire rear echelon into positions far up on the large eastern hill, and avoided a massacre once the German armor began to arrive. Trucks parked in Forests off the main road in the north alerted me to a German precense there in mid game, in retrospect it was likely just half tracks, but I didn't know then, I thought it could be panzers!- so I kept the HQ and arty moving, and dispatched the KV company- who were duking it out with well covered 88's a little over a km away in the city with minimal effect on both. The KV's had little to do with the rest of the action until the last 2 turns when they did manage- (with a few T34's once it became apparent just how large the northern German force was) to inflict losses in armor to the German side.
Getting my rear echelon on that hill saved me as much as taking objectives, and the timing of German re-enforcments. German scouts did manage a foray up the slope at the end- I just barely fought them off with ATR's asnd AAMG's and direct artillery fire.

This HQ movement also had significant impact on the field because of supply. My initial advance was fast- and the HQ's lagged...so by early game, lots of my armor had low ammo, and the infantry are all doubletiming it, not in range to shoot..ok, infantry gets up, begins to occupy a couple of the taken over advance positions-and to begin the LONG, costly procedure of mop up in the south, and just about then, HQ's are in place, units are coming up to full- then I see all of these "?" marks to the north...so, we move up the hill and out of LOS as quickly as possible, and it takes until near the last 3 or 4 turns to get a majority of my units back into supply! While this is happening, they are taking losses and disruptions..the attack really appeared to flounder for much of the mid game.

Anyway, it was very well fought by my opponent, I enjoyed it- it was up and down- makes it exciting! :laugh:

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes a very good game. I did run my halftracks around his flank to divert some of his forces and to make his HQ moves so he would be low on ammo. It worked to a point but not enough to stop his mass of Red from advanceing and devouring my troops. For most of the game I only had 2 88 units and 2 tanks that could only do so much damage but could not slow down the enemy enough. It was a shame that my reinforcments didnt arrive on time. 3 turns late then they had to travel over snowy muddy roads and only got to the fight in the last two turns. Maybe if there were more turns the out come would have been different as I might have been able to use my engineer platoons as he would have had to assualt the town its self. Anyways it was a fun game and I had alot of fun writing this informal AAR now I look forward to the new game me and Abatis are playing.
Also any comments would be welcomed on this AAR

DJ

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like one hell of a fight!

It's times like this when you have to appreciate any screenshots - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the ebb and flow of the battle.

Peace. :TRUCE:

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do you do a screenshot? And not the entire field necesarily- that would be fine now, but not during the battle itself..I thought of trying to do them, but then let it go as I couldn't remember the right "F" key and didn't know how to limit the cap to a certain area...

It was a helluva fight, too!