SPWaW 8.2 Information

Goblin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
8.2 will not be released as a patch, so scuttlebutt says anyways. It will only be a full download. This is from an OOB team member for 8.2. Sucks for non-hi speed downloaders. Really disappointing after the use of the word 'patch' up until today. If you are a member of Matrix Forums, you can read the thread on it in the Matrix Vets forum section at The Depot. Entitled 'Matrix News'.

Goblin

Bernie

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Goblin said:
8.2 will not be released as a patch, so scuttlebutt says anyways. It will only be a full download. This is from an OOB team member for 8.2. Sucks for non-hi speed downloaders. Really disappointing after the use of the word 'patch' up until today. If you are a member of Matrix Forums, you can read the thread on it in the Matrix Vets forum section at The Depot. Entitled 'Matrix News'.

Goblin
That particular section of The Depot is open to the general public. All they have to do is join the "Matrix Vets" usergroup on the site. (Validation is immediate and automatic)

SP:WaW Depot - Webmaster

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going to wait till Panzer Leo fixes 8.2 with the new version of H2H.

The H2H OOB's rock basically.

Last edited:

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It would be nice if they did include a patch version.

The new version is too slow-running compared to the 7.1 and patches.

Even at 2.6 GHz for my processor just moving adds minutes to a turn. As a student this is a death sentence to pbeming.

LOGIC

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Always comes down to too much was altered too much was fiddled with, that a patch just isn't an option.

No doubt I will download it, and no doubt I will play it, and likely, no doubt I won't notice any of the changes that were slaved over :)

And if Combat Leader doesn't make it to us this year, I don't expect 8.2 will be the end. I can't picture those guys leaving the game alone somehow hehe :)

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Les,

I hate to be the one to break it to you but Combat Leader by years end is a fantasy.

Mr Vebber has said as much at the Matrix forums.He and the team are in no hurry.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well actually, I am unsure just when the game will arrive.

But that is not saying anything unusual hehe.

I think it is fairly well accepted that the game is "desired", but seems to be suffering from "something", just unsure what.

I think it has to be more than just a case of not enough hours in the day plaguing the guys working on it. But speculation is just speculation.

I would rather speculate on how much effort is needed to coax Matrix Games into letting some new blood have access to the MC generating software for the creation of another MC for Steel Panthers.

Kevin E. Duguay

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Les, Goblin,
Too many things fiddled with may be the correct answer. It was supposed to be just a OOB update which would have posed no problem. But this is no longer the case. In a bid to make as many people as happy as possible (my guess anyways) They (Matrix) have changed or at least modified the Mech Execute. This was done I think twice while we were testing and modifying the OOB's and sent to us to test. I know a full down load my be a pain in the butt for some dedicated players. But don't worry, other players have allready stepped up to the plate and offered to put 8.2 on a disk for those with painfully slow modums. Now all Matris has to do is get the downloader working correctly! It's sort of a good thing it did'nt work, the OOB teams had a few things that were'nt quite right. This gave us a chance to avoid another "patch", I hope!

Kevin E. Duguay

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Skirmisher said:
Les,

I hate to be the one to break it to you but Combat Leader by years end is a fantasy.

Mr Vebber has said as much at the Matrix forums.He and the team are in no hurry.
I don't know if their not in a hurry, but they are trying to make this as complete as possible. Maybe too complete. Can't finnish now have to go vote, School board issues!

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had a friend that actually definitely really believed you could please everyone all of the time.

He was of course crazy :)

You can't.

There is a reason I have refused to walk away from SPMBT and SPWW2 in spite of how it has been left more DOSish and less Windowsish. The games are good in those versions.

They are also different, and plenty think they are the "better" versions.

Who is correct?, better question would be WHO CARES?

But, the problem with the endless fiddling with SPWaW, is it disrupts the efforts of guys trying to make scenarios campaigns etc.
And as a lot of the people fussing, are the same people making scenarios, you can almost say they have a fondness for shooting their foot :)

I will download 8.2 when it arrives, won't give it a second's thought. Just another download.
I download files of several hundred megs all the time (fueling my anime addiction :) ).

But I can see it frustrating those that can't download casually.
Sure it's "easy" to get Les the Sarge to burn you a cd, but hmm since I first started the notion, the core file has changed quite a number of times.

I actually have 3 cds here (today that is, had more last week) of the game that I include periodically as a second bonus cd just so the person can hand it to another as a freebie opportunity to sucker... I mean con...err you know get someone else playing Steel panthers :)

I hope the guys making Combat Leader, are not trying to be the first ones ever to release software that never ever has to be patched in a bid to somehow please everyone all the time.
I mean, I EXPECT the game to have at least "something" wrong with it the first month out the door.

I don't think they will give us something similar to the more celebrated buggy eye sores we all know we love to hate.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Combat Leader is way behind shedule,I only say this because the initial realese date they flashed on the Matrix site was Spring 2002 LOL. A simple "In Development " would be more correct.

Last edited: