Soviet supplies

macgregr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have surrounded Soviet forts and a marine unit along the Dneister. One pocket includes the marine unit and 3 forts in and around Odessa(supposedly not a supply source) , and the other 2 forts next to Uman. All are surrounded, and have been so for 9 or so months. Yet, amazingly, they're all in terrific supply. Someone said I have to attack. But while they're in supply? This defeats the entire purpose of surrounding them in the first place. If this is a game bug, I want to bring it to Ralph's attention. If it is a scenario bug, I'd like either an answer to why it is occurring or to bring it to your attention. Though I have to believe I'm not the first person to encounter this.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Is there an airfield within the pocket? Could be that they're getting air supply.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Do units that don't move or fight even use supplies? If they don't ... well, then would they ever run low on supplies, unless you actually attack them? :shy:

sPzAbt653

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the manual:

As a general case, in order to receive resupply, units must be
able to trace a Line of Communication back to a friendly Supply
Source. If the unit cannot trace this Line, its Supply Level will
drop by an amount equal to the number of half days in a Turn.

Airfields don't generate supply on their own, airdropped units may be able to recieve limited supply.

Mac, if you make all units invisible, you will be able to see if there is a supply point located in the hexes in question. If no supply point is there, the units should drop in strength after the first few turns. But they will never be eliminated unless you attack them. There are some cases where units not in contact with enemy units will draw minimal supply, but you said these are pockets so I don't think that is the case.

Your opponent could be shuttling 'new' units into Odessa thru the port, but I can't see how an isolated Uman could sustain units for nine months. Weird.

macgregr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's no airfield and no units have been shuttled in. It's bizarre. I've even put the Romanian navy off the coast.They're all in perfect supply. I'd attack the marine unit bur he's backed by around 20 points of artillery. But if I have to attack surrounded units while they're in top shape to cause a supply drop, (and it's been over nine months, they're not losing supply) why surround them in the first place?

sPzAbt653

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bizarre is right. I don't play EA, but I can't figure why this would be. Maybe you have 'bad' intelligence that is falsely showing them in good shape? (I don't think so). Can you try a few 'minimize loss' attacks to see what happens?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
But if I have to attack surrounded units while they're in top shape to cause a supply drop, (and it's been over nine months, they're not losing supply) why surround them in the first place?
So that when you attack them they can't rebuild their supply?

B-snafu

Reaction score
So that when you attack them they can't rebuild their supply?
And when evaped--nothing of that force returns to the global replacement pool?

I imagine the first series of attacks there might meet resistance but any subsequent attcks should be able to easily walk over them.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
MacG: Post a save (or email it to veersw at gmail dizot com) and I'll have a look for you.
We're obviously missing something, gents. I'll figure it as soon as I get a save.