Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
30 /Jan
MMP 2023 Production Forecast
Here is the MMP Anticipated 2023 Production List, released January 29, 2023:
ASL Starter Kit
  • ASLSK Marco Polo Bridge HASL will go on preorder. Ownership of ASLSK4 will be required to play;
  • An ASLSK magazine should be released;
  • ASLSK Expansio Pack 3 wii be released.
ASLSK Expansio Pack 3 was released.
There is a difference between will and should.
Should
means that in January MMP thought there was a good possibility of releasing or at least putting an ASLSK magazine on pre-order.
There are three months remaining in this year so it may happen yet.
Have you played every SK Scenario ?
If not, then you still have plenty to do.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
30 /Jan
MMP 2023 Production Forecast
Here is the MMP Anticipated 2023 Production List, released January 29, 2023:
ASL Starter Kit
  • ASLSK Marco Polo Bridge HASL will go on preorder. Ownership of ASLSK4 will be required to play;
  • An ASLSK magazine should be released;
  • ASLSK Expansio Pack 3 wii be released.
ASLSK Expansio Pack 3 was released.
There is a difference between will and should.
Should
means that in January MMP thought there was a good possibility of releasing or at least putting an ASLSK magazine on pre-order.
There are three months remaining in this year so it may happen yet.
Have you played every SK Scenario ?
If not, then you still have plenty to do.
Steinberg is the most prolific SK player I know. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has. My guess is he’s asking cause he has a SK scenario that is about to see the day?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steinberg is the most prolific SK player I know. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has. My guess is he’s asking cause he has a SK scenario that is about to see the day?
I’ve played all but 10 published SK scenarios! And I’ve designed 2 with help and started a third one! I guess I saw 2 ASL Journals released within a few months of each other and got jealous. Sorry.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I guess I saw 2 ASL Journals released within a few months of each other and got jealous. Sorry.
Well, you could take the dive into full ASL if you dump jealousy and do something very rotten...

@Psycho did so, and as evidenced by this post, he's doing fine.

In any case, you'll never ever be shot of scenarios any more as there are a minimum of 8,000 (very likely many more) ASL scenarios out there.

von Marwitz

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Check out the Designer's Forums, Operation Windsor for the MwT (Monkeys with Typewriters) Three SK Scenario Packs.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like a Monty Python skit: “And Now For Something Completely Different.”

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, you could take the dive into full ASL if you dump jealousy and do something very rotten...

@Psycho did so, and as evidenced by this post, he's doing fine.

In any case, you'll never ever be shot of scenarios any more as there are a minimum of 8,000 (very likely many more) ASL scenarios out there.

von Marwitz
Well I got into SL near the end I think it was. (83 or maybe 84) :unsure: it was in HS that I found SL cuz of my friend Chris so I went out & bought all 4 modules! then I'd moved down to Bogalusa & came back up to Shreveport-Bossier City for something with dad & we went by a hobby shop on the way home & there on the shelf was ASL rules & Beyond Valor! I had to have it & my dad loaned me the $85! 🥳🆒👍🍻

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well I got into SL near the end I think it was. (83 or maybe 84) :unsure: it was in HS that I found SL cuz of my friend Chris so I went out & bought all 4 modules! then I'd moved down to Bogalusa & came back up to Shreveport-Bossier City for something with dad & we went by a hobby shop on the way home & there on the shelf was ASL rules & Beyond Valor! I had to have it & my dad loaned me the $85! 🥳🆒👍🍻
In fact, my story is not that much different:

In the late 80's / early 90's I was primarily interested in pen&paper RPGs (Rolemaster on Middle-Earth), which was more than enough to consume my pocket money. But that game-store also had wargames and one day I pulled out the ASLRB and was fascinated by the counter-explanations on the inside of the front-/back-cover. Leafing through the rules, I was pretty much stunned by not understanding a thing of the ASL-lingo and abbreviations. After just having returned from a year as an exchange student in the US, in southern Louisiana close to New Iberia, that is, and thus pretty fluent in English. I remember that I also found it strange that this "game" seemed to have no components besides the rules - until I realized, that the tome was merely the rules... Pulling out BV next to it and seeing the price tags on both, I shelved everything. But since then, ASL was nagging in the back of my mind...

Circling around ASL like a vulture, I eventually pulled out Squad Leader in that same store. Not 'advanced' thus 'simple', so was my logic reasoning. Basically, to me as the uninitiated, SL looked like the simple version of ASL, and I liked the "programmed approach" of the former. Seemed much easier to learn. So I bought SL, tried the first two scenarios solitaire and it was awesome. Thus I bought the other three SL modules as well (at dire cost to pen&paper). Soon after the purchase, I realized, that SL and ASL have not quite the same relationship as would later have SK and ASL. I still congratulate myself for not really learning SL after having dabbled with half a dozen scenarios but instead having determined it would be prudent to rather learn the "real thing" from the start.

Well, and since then, I reckon I am still learning the "real thing"...

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

In the late 80's / early 90's I was primarily interested in pen&paper RPGs (Rolemaster on Middle-Earth), which was more than enough to consume my pocket money. But that game-store also had wargames and one day I pulled out the ASLRB and was fascinated by the counter-explanations on the inside of the front-/back-cover. Leafing through the rules, I was pretty much stunned by not understanding a thing of the ASL-lingo and abbreviations. After just having returned from a year as an exchange student in the US, in southern Louisiana close to New Iberia, that is, and thus pretty fluent in English. I remember that I also found it strange that this "game" seemed to have no components besides the rules - until I realized, that the tome was merely the rules... Pulling out BV next to it and seeing the price tags on both, I shelved everything. But since then, ASL was nagging in the back of my mind...

Circling around ASL like a vulture, I eventually pulled out Squad Leader in that same store. Not 'advanced' thus 'simple', so was my logic reasoning. Basically, to me as the uninitiated, SL looked like the simple version of ASL, and I liked the "programmed approach" of the former. Seemed much easier to learn. So I bought SL, tried the first two scenarios solitaire and it was awesome. Thus I bought the other three SL modules as well (at dire cost to pen&paper). Soon after the purchase, I realized, that SL and ASL have not quite the same relationship as would later have SK and ASL. I still congratulate myself for not really learning SL after having dabbled with half a dozen scenarios but instead having determined it would be prudent to rather learn the "real thing" from the start.

von Marwitz
I thought the programmed instruction of SL was one of it's best features.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

von Marwitz
I lived in Blanchard during my HS years (very close to Shreveport-Bossier City: that's north La & not Cajun swamp infested like most peeps apparently think) & had a friend up the street that introduced me to D&D before I got into wargames. I got my mom to either stop in & buy the books or when I got my allowence saved I bought other AD&D books. boy the weirdos you meet when you show up at someone's house you've never been to (& then you'll never go to again! ;))

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I lived in Blanchard during my HS years (very close to Shreveport-Bossier City: that's north La & not Cajun swamp infested like most peeps apparently think) & had a friend up the street that introduced me to D&D before I got into wargames.
Well, I was in the thick of it. The backyard bordered on a bayou and there was a small shipyard building supply-vessels for oil-rigs next door. The area was full of critters of all sorts: Once, when opening the door of the house, I missed inadvertedly grabbing a black widow by an inch. Tarantulas, snapping turtles, not to mention gazillions of mosquitos. Skunks and armadillos - often flattended on the roads, the former "smoking" the entire area around for a day with their "last shot". I used to shoot rattle snakes and copper heads with a shotgun in the backyard or swimming on the bayou. One day while water-skiing, I ran over such a damned beast. You could not be sure if there were alligators in the bayou either. Once, I fed a small alligator with some pieces of meat pinned to the tip of a 10 foot stick - not clever, as these can be amazingly fast for a lunge. Luckily, nothing happened to me. Ah, and fire ants...

Talking of critters, there were, of course also the people - just like you, despite you're claiming not to be from the swamps. All armed to the teeth. Kids going "squirrel hunting" - some using a shotgun for the process...

Good times!

von Marwitz