Short lifespan - possibly

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi could someone please help me out with an answer.
Here's the situation - all units in a given location were eliminated during a single round of Melee, during which, a Leader was created.
Here's the question - does the Leader die along with the rest of his buddies or is he the only one to walk away from the carnage?

Many thanks in anticipation ... if answering, would you please also cite chapter and verse?
Regards
PhilC

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
you need to recalculate the attack with and against the new leader.
Sometimes it changes odds and end results.
Clearly described in CC Leader Creation section.
For further instructions.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To expand on @Jazz's short answer, both attacks are recalculated, which means you need to remember any prior DR.
Example: two 4 FP squads are in CC. There are no DRMs to either CC DR. The ATTACKER attacks at 1:1 and rolls an Original DR 4, eliminating the DEFENDER squad. The DEFENDER attacks at 1:1 and rolls an Original DR 2. Leader Creation results in a 6+1. Reset and recalculate. The DEFENDER eliminates the ATTACKER with its 1:1 attack and Final DR 3. The ATTACKER only gets a CR result with its 1:2 attack and Final DR 4.
Needing to remember the ATTACKER's Original DR may be problematic if there are many units involved.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
selecting either the squad or newly created leader by random selection.
Or both.

I lost a PBM scenario because of leader creation years ago. I don't remember the scenario, but I remember the VC were I'd win if my opponent had no unbroken MMC in a certain area/building(s). He had one unbroken HS left there after the AFPh of the last player turn. I advanced in to CC, and advanced units to all the ADJACENT Locations in case he ambushed me. My CC DR was high, but it still eliminated the HS. I rolled for his return attack and got a 2, and he got a leader. I don't recall if he eliminated my units or not because it didn't matter as long as I eliminated the HS. Recalculating the odds, my high result was now equal to the CC #. I still had a chance as long as RS selected the HS. No, RS selected just the new leader. And to add insult to injury, it was only wounded. My opponent was certain I'd win in his last email, so I'm sure he was surprised when my email began with "You won". I must have had fantastic luck earlier to have such a lopsided ending, so this was the dice gods evening out the luck with a vengeance! :)

Last edited:

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a side note of interest. I believe a Leader's DRM must be applied in Ambush (A10.72) but may be applied in CC (A11.141), even if using the Leader's 1FP to boost your attack/defend odds. So a 6+1 leader hurts you in Ambush, but can actually help your CC odds while not being a drag on your CC DR, even for a newly minted leader.

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks! this is all valuable stuff and a very welcome learning aid . I was OK with the process in general but for some reason couldn't nail if the newly created leader suffered the same fate as his guys. After reading the above it seems pretty obvious. ... ASL, great way to stay humble :)

Thanks again