sFF question

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A friendly unit moves into a building for 2mp and attracts defensive fire from two enemy units one which has a LMG.

The FF is ineffective and the rules state that the unit will SFF if possible if the friendly unit is still in good order.

Having spent 2mp’s the friendly unit is a target for SFF.

Question: does the enemy units use the LMG in the SFF attack as sustained fire or not - is there a rule governing when/if SFF of SW’s should be used or not? Or is it just down to the players nest judgment

Regards
Simon

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
A friendly unit moves into a building for 2mp and attracts defensive fire from two enemy units one which has a LMG.

The FF is ineffective and the rules state that the unit will SFF if possible if the friendly unit is still in good order.

Having spent 2mp’s the friendly unit is a target for SFF.

Question: does the enemy units use the LMG in the SFF attack as sustained fire or not - is there a rule governing when/if SFF of SW’s should be used or not? Or is it just down to the players nest judgment

Regards
Simon
If the LMG got ROF, it could fire again on it's own but nothing else could due to Mandatory FG restrictions. Regardless of ROF, if the unit possessing the MG elects to SFF and use the MG, the MG will fire as Sustained Fire (A8.3). If one unit elects NOT to fire, it would be bound by Mandatory FG restrictions as well. -- jim

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks but this is an enemy unit usng the solitare rules normally there are rules governing what should fire, under what circumstances etc

In this instance is it just down to the freindly player to decide if the enemy unit elects to use the LMG when it SFF’s.

In this case the FF did not retain ROF for the LMG but the freindly unit is still eligible for a SFF attack by the wnemy units - the solitare rules dictate that the MMC’s should SFF but no indication of whether the LMG should be used

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So the "s" in sFF refers to Solitaire? If so, my mistake. Sorry, I don't solitaire. -- jim

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Hi Simon - it's not crystal clear, but my interpretation is sustained mg fire isn't used except in special circumstances. The way S5.3 breaks out sFF from ROF suggests (to me) that multiple ROF SW only keep firing if they maintain rate (this is subject to debate, that's just my reading of it.) There is another section on intensive fire that I tend to use for sustained fire as well even though it's written for ordinance (S8.21).

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no specific rule that I know, but if it retains ROF it should fire again in SFF. That is part of the solitaire DF rules. For sustained fire, it is up to you to determine whether the enemy would best benefit from firing sustained or not. I use this as a general rule. If the MG has a breakdown number of 12 and the target is adjacent, or if I have a modifier of -1 or greater, I will fire again. If the MG has a breakdown of less than 12 and the target is adjacent with a final modifier of +0 or the target has a final modifier of -2 or greater I will fire again.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the excellent responses appreciated - I will look at them both in detail and decide which to implement - in this instance I decided that it was not in the best interest of the enemy unit to add in the LMG.

Tracy Simms

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Thanks for the excellent responses appreciated - I will look at them both in detail and decide which to implement - in this instance I decided that it was not in the best interest of the enemy unit to add in the LMG.
As an option to try, here is the optional rule from the RB SASL CG rules re Sustained MG fire.

8.14 SUSTAINED FIRE: During Subsequent First Fire
an ENEMY unit firing MG/IFE will use Sustained Fire
only if it passes a NTC; cumulative TC DRM include the
Final IFT DRM for the attack and a +1 if the Weapon has
an Original B# < 12. Berserk ENEMY units and
ENEMY units firing MG/IFE as FPF will always use
Sustained Fire, no NTC is necessary

Cheers
Tracy