SE Asian Archipelagic Conflict- Scen 1 Aussie Bloody Nose

Choowee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The conflict has begun. In what can only be a moment of madness, Indonesia makes a grab for all the oil in the region. Australia and her nearby allies will not tolerate such aggression.

Scenario one has Indonesian paras invading and controlling a small Australian airbase in what looks like the Northern boonies. Intel estimated a company (+) size force. My Aussie recon squads were sent to investigate, backed up by a commando company who were en route in some Chinooks.

This first battle was short, so I will keep this short today. I will say this, as LTC Greenwood, on the ground commander of the Aussie forces on this day, I have a lot of reports to write. We suffered a marginal defeat at the hands of a well dug-in Indonesian para company well supported by the Indonesian Air Force and some 3 inch guns offshore.

The battle began rather quickly when my APC's were engaged near my first objective. Sniper fire pinned the recon squads immediately upon disembarking. Things would not get better. The next turn I was shocked to see Indonesian jets screaming from the sky. Soon, six APC's were smoking and burning in the jungle rot and mud(I forgot to mention the very wet conditions of the battle field).

I(LTC Greenwood) almost did not make it home as my Chinook was engaged by shoulder launched SAM, forcing it down a few hundred yards from my chosen LZ. Half of the commandos attempted to flank the airfield by air, but were also engaged by Indonesian paras dug into the jungle(I would find all flanks covered as the battle raged on). These landings were also hot and many casualties were taken trying to scramble for cover.

I did manage to reorganize and form some battle lines, but any advances towards the airstrip were soon deemed fruitless with the force I had. Not wanting to take needless casualties as the day seemed lost, I pulled back and ran out the turns.

The Aussies fought bravely and had some success with their own attack helos and fighters, but Indonesian air and sea power were too prevalent to risk another assault attempt. We lost, but will not let this brief set back deter the final outcome. Indonesia will be punished.

Final casualty tallies:
Australia-63 men, 6 APC, 1 81mm mortar (Marginal Defeat)
Indonesia-81 men, 1 Helo

So far seems like a great campaign. I can't wait to start the next scenario. Hopefully the allies can redeem this first loss in the war. Next battle- Singapore v. Malaysia. Stay tuned.