SASLHC Barbarossa Campaign on YouTube

DQuin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually skipped the pursuit mission as I didn’t have those maps :(

I think the problem is the randomness of the SASL, which could be considered its strength normally (true fog of war for an omniescent player).

Also, maybe it's because I've only ever played Germans. The Command rule almost requires kill stacks, which easily handle most single/maybe a couple of EN MMC that have to brave the open ground to approach a VPO/objective, etc. The EN tend to come piecemeal and are easily dealt with generally.

Having said that, there are circumstances when the RNG (i.e. the die rolls) go against you and you can be easily overwhelmed. E.g. a pair of KV 2's roll up and you only have ATR's to deal with...or the EN gets three artillery strikes to hammer you into the ground, literally. It seems to be an either or case in my experience. Either its a cakewalk, or you are chased off the board with your tail between your legs to save what's left of your company.

Not sure how to fix that, but one thing I've been doing lately is ignoring the EN action rolls, except to check for PANIC. If they pass the PANIC check, I move them in what seems their best interest. But again, they come piecemeal and are generally easy to deal with. Now I'm generally playing against weak troops, 527's and 426's, but I'm sure the deal might be different in say Festung Budapest with 458. etc.

Would like to know how the Pursuit mission went for you and what you did to win.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
With respect to easy missions - one thing I would encourage everyone to do, especially new players, is keep a record of your games. I've done this since I started in on SASL and it's been immensely helpful. At a minimum record the mission played, the outcome and the score. I'd also encourage everyone to use the ASL Scenario Archive website, which has all the core missions presented (I only relatively recently discovered this and have been logging most of my playings since then there.)

Over time you'll see which missions you pile up the wins against and which ones are challenging. I've started introducing a handicap on the missions I win too much in the form of only awarding the FRIENDLY side 1/2 CVP (it's generally the missions where both sides earn CVP that are the easiest.)

I will say in my experience the Germans (at least early to mid-war Germans) seem to be the easiest nationality to play with.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm going to start posting on the ASL Scenario Archive I think. Did with the Bridgehead one.

I also really need to try other nationalities to see how they work, though I kind of did that with my RCR italy campaign. I really would like to try ABtF or FB in SASL. Late war units of some parity slugging it out.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Playing a redo of Mission #10 Human Wave (HW) right now on Twitch. Going to try implementing the following three rules:
  1. Each HW will be a d6+4 in number.
  2. A single hex will be randomly selected between G and AA, which will form the centre point of the HW.
  3. Number of waves will still be a dr less than/equal 6, with a +1 per HW entered, though I might waive that if not enough waves enter.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
…and not too surprisingly it ended the same way. Not sure how to fix this mission but am interested in general feed back on the Human Wave SASL from anyone here that has played it. What are your thoughts.
At any rate I’m going to shelve this campaign as it’s pretty much too easy for the Germans against early war Russians.
I’m going to return to another VotG CG IV play through. I’ll be uploading to YouTube as usual and still plan to play live on Twitch every Sunday.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ll try to give this mission a go this weekend using my revised Command rules. I gave a rudimentary outline of them in the comments on your last YouTube video.

mburskey

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am playing Mission 1 as British Airbourne on board 1. I have rolled some pretty bad stuff during Activation (AC# 3). One roll left me facing a 5-4-8 SS squad with a HMG, an 8-0 leader, with a clear LOS to many hexes. I am on turn 3 and have stirred up a hornet's nest. One building I have to clear has three 4-6-8 SS squads, a LMG and an 8-1 leader.

Last night I was trialing a SASL using ABtF. I rolled 5 activations (AC# 3) and ended up activating only one 4-6-8 SS squad. I was quite disappointed, but if thinking about the historical sense of the 1st day in Arnhem, it does make some sense. Arnhem was lightly occupied with German troops during that first day. Curious to see how it would play out once the British have to hold the North end of the Bridge and the Germans S? are in the advance attitude.

SASL is hit and miss. My Mission 1 example is going to be tough to beat with so many germans in buildings I need to take. The ABtF scenario seems easy so far but who know what DR's will be made tonight.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #10 - Human Wave
CVGP: +5

Been a couple of years, but I'm gonna get back into this SASL HC (in addition to my SASL HC Krim, and Red Factories SASL CG :) ), and start posting them to my YouTube channel.

This mission follows directly on the heels of Mission 9, the Bridgehead, using the same boards, plus one additional one to replace the river board.

Augments for this mission:
  • 70pts of Fortifications (2 x Roadblock, 8 x Wire)
  • 2 x 81* MTR w/ Opel Blitz transport
  • 1 x 80+ MTR OBA w/ an 8-0 and a field phone

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #11 - Pockets
CVGP: +6

Continuing after a successful repelling of the Soviet Human Wave (Mission #10) I carry on with the SS-Division 'Wiking' as they try and clear them out of the the town of Kamenka, Ukraine.

For this mission, there are 80 Black S?, so it should have been 26 Turns long, but I think 15 will be enough. We shall see.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #11 - SitRep

An overwhelming victory, despite 23% casualties, for the SS. 81 CVP for the Germans, and 28 CVP (each unactivated S? is worth 2 CVP) for the Soviets. I was worried that there would be too many unactivated S? counters, but luckily the Village Board +1 DRM meant many of them turned out to be Dummy. I also generated 2 heroes, and a 7-0 (sniper saw to him) during the 15 turns. Unfortunately, as I'm already an Elite coy, those won't matter.

Next up is a Cautious Advance towards Kremenchoug, Ukraine.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #12 - Cautious Advance
CVGP: +7

The RePh was very kind to me, my Heroic 9-2 BH to a 10-2; both of my other leaders were promoted as well so I now have a 10-3 and another 9-2 to round off my leaders. I also was able to replace 2 MMC out of the 2.5 I had lost previously, so am only a HS short of my full complement (also still missing a 127 crew so I'll have to leave off one of the ATRs. The SASLHC Barbarossa requires a direct roll on A8d for Initial Mapboard, and I drew board 64. Looks interesting, and again a lot of S? counters (with an AC# 3) that I will have to deal with.
VP schedule is tight, with the only guarantees being the (max) two other mapboards that I might generate. Aside from that, I will have to hope for some AFV/Guns to crop up (always dicey, pun intended).