Rout Question

JD Sullivan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A10.51 "...Upon reaching a building/woods Location not ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit, a routing unit must stop and end its RtPh in that building/woods Location even if overstacked unless the unit can directly enter another building/woods Location in its next entered hex (not necessarily the same building or through a continuous woods hexside)."

With this statement in mind can the routing units reach any leader during their rout phase?

Can 3J2 reach 3H0? I know it does not have to route, but if it does then its destination must be 3J1. Upon reaching 3J1, per the statement above, it may move only one additional hex: 3J0, 3K1, or 3I1. Or may it continue to rout to the leader in 3H0?

Can 3M3 route to 3M2 and then continue within the building to the leader on Level 1? Or even continue to the leader in 3L0? Or must it stop its rout in 3M2.1 or 3L1?

My understanding of the A10.51 statement is that the units must reach their targets within thier 6MF and may move one more hex if the above conditions appy and they have MF to enter the hex. They are not free to use all 6MF once the conditions of routing (non Adjacent building or woods) are satisfied. They are after all broken and out of control.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
JD Sullivan said:
Can 3J2 reach 3H0?
What you do not show is any KEU but as shown, yes.

JD Sullivan said:
Can 3M3 route to 3M2 and then continue within the building to the leader on Level 1? Or even continue to the leader in 3L0?
What you do not show is any KEU but as shown, yes.

Keith

Hopalong

Reaction score
Country
ll
JD Sullivan said:
A10.51 "...Upon reaching a building/woods Location not ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit, a routing unit must stop and end its RtPh in that building/woods Location even if overstacked unless the unit can directly enter another building/woods Location in its next entered hex (not necessarily the same building or through a continuous woods hexside)."

With this statement in mind can the routing units reach any leader during their rout phase?
Yes. There is nothing in the passage you quote that stops you applying it to each location entered.

Can 3J2 reach 3H0? I know it does not have to route, but if it does then its destination must be 3J1. Upon reaching 3J1, per the statement above, it may move only one additional hex: 3J0, 3K1, or 3I1. Or may it continue to rout to the leader in 3H0?
No, but only because 3I1 costs 4mf to enter.

Can 3M3 route to 3M2 and then continue within the building to the leader on Level 1?
Yes

My understanding of the A10.51 statement is that the units must reach their targets within thier 6MF and may move one more hex if the above conditions appy and they have MF to enter the hex. They are not free to use all 6MF once the conditions of routing (non Adjacent building or woods) are satisfied. They are after all broken and out of control.
Agreed, they have no control, but if they can keep moving from cover to cover, wouldn't they want to put as much space between themselves and the enemy they're fleeing from. The part you quote allows them to continue routing but only if the condition applies each time. Taking the unit in 3J2 as an example. We already agree that it doesn't have to rout but being under DM can. A10.51 tells us, if it routs it must be to the closest woods/building, in this case 3J1. It now has to stop unless it can enter an adjacent wood/building location. It can and selects 3K1 where again it must stop unless it can enter an adjacent wood/building and as it can it enters 3M0.

JD Sullivan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Assume the French Unit in 3J4 is the only KEU.

What in the rules makes this additional movement possible? A10.51 says the routing unit must decalre a destination hex at the start of its rout. That hex must be the nearest in MF and the unit must use the shortest path in MF. Upon reaching that destination it must stop unless the unit can directly enter another building/woods hex.

Looking at the example for A10.51 implies that you are correct, Keith, but the rule should be clearer on how much freedom of action a routing unit has once it has reached its delcared destination.

JD Sullivan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the logic loop that was unclear to me. Sometimes it is in the RB, others it's not.
Thanks for your answers Keith and Paul.