Red Factories SASL HC 17 Oct - 15 Nov 1942

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Red Factories SASL Campaign Special Rules
The following rules will apply throughout the campaign.
  • SASL HC Campaign will run from 17 Oct – 15 Nov (30 days)
  • Map Groups and Reinforcement Groups (RG) are kept separate for the two different map groups.
  • Will generally be played (after 23 Oct 1942 opens the second front on the RO map group) as two separate campaigns for RG purchases and initial entry:
    • Historical DRM Chart (O11.6161) for the RB CG will be used for those corresponding days in the RO CG that are missing (i.e., 1 -10 Nov)
  • Generally as per O11.58 RF CG I: Red Factories CG SSR, with the following exceptions:
    • CG6. OBA: ENEMY Artillery Strike is limited to a maximum of two different FFEs per map group (see also RB SASL CG Rules>Changes to SASL Rules 8.72 ENEMY OBA)
    • CG17. Self-Rally: ENEMY can attempt 4 self-rallies, and 8 self-rallies once 23 Oct 1942 begins (max of four per map group)
  • Generally as per O11.58 RF CG I: Red Factories with the following additions/exceptions:
    • Leaflet House Rules (LHR; CG III) to be used for both map groups
    • Red Barricades SASL rules will be used except those superseded by the LHR
    • Every EN MPh, roll for counter-attack RE (34-35, or 44-45), if successful make a dr to randomly determine which map group that RE occurs on, then conduct that RE
    • No GE entry South of RB map edge until 23 Oct 1942, when X-Tag begins on RO map group
Swedish ASL Leaflet House Rules
In Summary: no Recon, no GE Rifle Coy HMG, limited BH between scenarios, no night attacks, mandatory Idle Days. The following rules in the LHR are modified:
8. Gutted Buildings & Factories: Will be played as per Red Factories rules (O10.2). Basically, gutted buildings cost one extra MF to enter​
11. Offboard Artillery: Friendly OBA will use the Pleva rule, i.e., if a red card is drawn return to the pile and add another red​
22. Fanatic Building-Nest: as per RB SASL rules (RB SASL CG III-1 Miscellaneous), on the RO map group, buildings N15 and CC32 will become Fanatic buildings when a Russian unit is activated inside.​
Red Barricades Solitaire ASL
  • Modified generation tables for RU ENEMY:
    • No Mol-P’s, 10-2/-3s (replaced with 9-2s)
    • HMGs generated will have 228 crews
    • All 127 crews generated are replaced with 228 crews
  • S19.4 (4.1 S? Placement) For Russian Assaults, S? in Hold Attitude will be placed in hexes 3-4 hexes from every ENEMY frontline location (as opposed to just 1-2 hexes) to offer some depth should the assault prove too easy for the Germans to repel.
Posting live playthroughs on my ASL-Spotting Round YouTube channel every Monday (pretty much).

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SitRep #001
  1. Only played 1.5 turns so far, and I have already generated 6 fortified building locations, which are seriously slowing me down
  2. OB 80+ Mtr OBA drew two reds consecutively for Battery Access...good thing I'm using the Pleva rule, though I should probably not have tried for access a third time (successful) as too many reds are now in the draw pile
  3. Purchased two rifle coys and a stuka for first-day action. Of course, wouldn't my coy commanders (x3 so far) fail their PANIC rolls to enter the map.
  4. Rough going so far, with the following losses:
    1. 1 x PzKpw IIIL
    2. 1 x 7-0 Leader
    3. 3 x squad equivalents
  5. Russians rolled a Reinforcements RE...luckily they are entering from the southeast of the RB map group

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for posting this Ahriman - I'm not really a CG guy myself, but this will no doubt spark some entertaining play for other SASLers! I was not familiar with the Leaflet House rules before this. I'd be curious about why they exclude recon purchase and no GE HMG. Also the no night attacks - I could see why in SASL since (in my VERY limited experience with night SASL) the ENEMY side is pretty prone to getting bypassed in night actions - but I'm assuming the LHR aren't expressly for SASL?

Based on my experience with the RB SASL from the Journal article, I feel your pain with the fortified building locations. I'll have to check out your spotting round show - do you go into your purchase decisions? I found myself torn about buying an 81 mortar group back in the day since the smoke access can be VERY useful in the first couple turns, but they are of limited value once you actually get into the factories.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Leaflet House Rules (LHR) were designed I think to balance the game more in f-t-f, since gamewise, the Germans have to keep up a constant attack rate of 2:1 Russians:Germans to whittle away the defence. If the Germans ever paused, as happened in reality, the Russians just picked up more defenders, making the job harder. Also with 14 rifle coys or so, you'd have a shitload of 7FP HMGs which I guess have been overwhelming. Re Recon, not sure on that one, but regarding Night I'd imagine even the Russians would have trouble with large-scale assaults; more likely they were used to restock men and supplies, though undoubtedly skirmishes were going on everywhere.

I've only ever played the first day or two of a campaign game, so I'm not sure about all this...just from what I've read on this site.

Based on this site's RB posts, I keep hearing that the Germans have to load up on rifle coys to keep up that kill ratio, so I bought two. However, with the loss of those HMGs, it might not be the best strategy. Ultimately this is going to be a fair bit of trial and error. In my video (RF SASL CG(The Big One, 17 Oct - 15 Nov)- Intro I believe I cover my purchases. The only addition I made was the LHR adjustments and added the Stukas since they only cost 1CPP.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sitrep #002 - 17 Oct 1942

Finished the first day of action on the Big One. Perimeter below.
First Day Activation/Losses
Almost at the 2:1 ratio, but I have to do better. Of course with SASL, the ENEMY always respawns with plenty of units, so I am probably reaching if I can expect to maintain that ratio. My OB given 80+ Mtr OBA was pretty well useless; finished off with 4 FFEs and 3 reds (Pleva OBA rule).

Using the Leaflet House Rules (LHR), I'm considering taking an Idle day for the 18th to recover. LHR mandates an Idle day for every 6 days played. It would let me regroup (provided I do not roll for an ENEMY attack (net -1drm and they need a 1 or less to Attack)). Also, regarding the LHR, losing those HMGs is costing me, I think, in terms of overall FP. I'll give them until end-day 18 Oct, and then decide if I want to forgo them. While I like the lack of night assaults and other goodies in the LHR, they were not intended for SASL play but for f-t-f.

Regarding the 18 Oct RG purchase, I'm thinking of the following with the 18CPP I have:

Idle Day - 14 CPP (save 4)
2 x Rifle Coy

Attack Day (18 CPP)
1 x Rifle Coy
1 x HW Pl
1 x StuG G Pl

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SitRep #003 - 18 Oct 1942
GE CVP:
RU CVP: 26
Stone Locations (GE): 31(out of 539)

Despite attempting an Idle Day for the Germans, the Soviets had other plans, conducting a full-scale, day-time, counter-attack on the ill-prepared Germans. A total of 105 assaulting S? generated 102 units from 50 Activated S? counters, for a ratio of 2 units per S? counter. However, despite the concerted effort, the Soviets fell short of attaining a victory, only (re-)claiming one building while losing 15 Strategic Locations themselves.

4. Kompanie was severely mauled with only 25 all-ranks reported as healthy at the end of the day, while 1. and 3. lost 36 men and 24 men, respectively. Also lost was a recalled PzKfw IIIL and several support weapons, including 1xMMG, 2xLMG,1xATR, 1xLt Mtr.

1., 3., and 4. Kompanies will be consolidated into one as they are individually combat ineffective. Two of their 9-2 leaders will be assigned to the HW platoon MG nests in preparation for the continued assault on 19 Oct. Meanwhile, reinforcements in the form of rifle Kompanies 5. and 6. will shore up the frontlines and push forward in the 19 Oct assault. Orders for an all-out attack will be forthcoming shortly.

In the course of the day's fighting, the Germans suffered 20% casualties, while inflicting 54% on the Soviets. Below is what the current frontline situation looks like.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
19 Oct Mission Order

Following the unexpected Soviet counter-attack on 18 Oct, a restructuring of the 398th ID will take place to push further into the factory district. Two Storm Kompanies will be assigned to the 545 IR, which will strike into the Soviet lines as they try and recover from their failed assault the previous day.

545 IR/389 ID will conduct an attack along three axes—the left KG under Maj. Wagner will secure down to the Landing Strip Gully—the right KG under Maj. Klein will use Tramvanaya as the centre of axis and clear buildings down towards the FZO—the central KG, under Maj. Weber, will secure factories 5 and 6a, in preparation for a further assault on Hall 4. KG's Wagner and Klein will each be supported by two platoons from 3. Sturm Kompanie. In addition, a troop of tanks from III./36th Pz.-Rgt. will support KG Wagner in their assault. Two Kompanies of Sturmtruppen will head the central KG Weber and will form the centre of gravity for 545 IR.

No artillery is available for this assault, but nevertheless, the objectives must be achieved by the end of the day. Below is the plan of attack.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SitRep #004 - 19 Oct 1942
GE CVP:
95 (Russian losses)
RU CVP: 70 (German losses)
Stone Locations (GE): 67 (out of 570)

In a long day that saw significant gains in some areas, severe losses were incurred, accounting for seven leaders and two kompanies' worth of men for a 33% casualty rate; in addition, the last two surviving PzKpf IIIL were destroyed, though a pair of LMGs were scrounged from the wrecks. Especially hard hit were 1. Sturm Komp. and 5. Rifle Komp. As a result, 5. Komp. has been dissolved and the men dispersed to bring 1. and 6 Kompanies up to full strength. In addition, each Kompanie was issued an HMG to augment their inherent firepower. Thankfully the Germans were allotted a day of rest and refit on the 20th, which saw their side bolstered by adding a full-strength pioneer kompanie and a platoon of 2 StuG B IIIBs with a 10-2 AL. Later, on the 21st, another Sturm Komp. was assigned to 389 I.D., along with a battery of PaK 40s. Also, the GE SAN was increased by one (now 3), whereas the Soviet SAN was decreased by 1 (now 4). Unfortunately, it appears they have increased their boobytrap capabilities (now Level B), so care must be taken on the assault.

The German assault on the 19th saw the Chemist Shop in the East and several large buildings in the West captured. In addition, Russian forces have been pushed South of the Landing Strip Gully, and most of Hall 6a lies in German hands. Despite repeated small-scale Soviet counter-attacks, the lines were held in all areas. Of some concern are two large blaze areas, one in the West and the other in the East; the latter was the result of the Katusha barrage that saw the last PzKfw IIIL destroyed.
There are early signs that the Russians will once more attempt a counter-attack, though strength is not known at this time. All German forces are to be prepared to repulse any assault and then advance where able.

Last edited:

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Ahriman667 really enjoying your posts, esp how you report the story in terms of military formations - gives it a feeling of reality,

The summary CVP results are ambiguous as to CVP gained or lost. It would be nice to see that at a glance.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
21 Oct Mission Orders

Situation

Despite significant gains and destruction of enemy units, Intelligence says that the Soviets are preparing for an assault, which must be contained by all German units. The strength of the attack is undetermined at this time.

Mission
Once the Soviet assault has been depleted, the battle plan as summarized below will be put into action. Units must achieve their objectives by the end of the day!

Execution
  1. Battalion Mortars (HE & Smoke) are available on call to support our endeavour.
  2. One flight of Stukas is on call.
  3. Sub-unit MG teams must sweep rooftops clear of the enemy to support the assault into the objectives.
  4. Sturm Kompanie 4. will act as a reserve.
Administration and Logistics
Resupply has been completed, no further action is required.

Command and Signals
Respective CoCs must be maintained with KG Kommandeur reporting as required.

The code word for the commencement of the assault follows.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SitRep #005 - 21 Oct 1942
GE CVP:
146 (Russian Losses)
RU CVP: 45 (German Losses)
Stone Locations (GE): 90 (out of 570)

Russian attacks occurred across the frontlines, however only in the east were they able to penetrate through our defences. Once their attack stalled out, the German counter-attack began, which saw all lost areas regained, toeholds in Factories 4 and 5, and the Workshop/Warehouse [F16] gained. All Kampfgruppe achieved their objectivesAir support was largely ineffective, with two of four planes missing their targets, and the Battalion Mortar OBA was never utilized [2 straight reds]. However, the Russian SAN was reduced to 3 in the course of the battle. The two large fires (one in the East and the other in the West) have primarily burnt themselves out, though the wooden houses North of Skulpturnaya are likely at risk the following day.
German losses were moderate; 1. Pioneer Kompany was hardest hit, losing 5 squads as they punched a hole into Hall 4. In addition, the StuG B Pl. 1, lost one AFV and and its platoon commander [10-2 AL]. Among the infantry forces, overall losses amounted to 17 squads or 23% of the current OB; no leaders were lost, and Feldwebel Weiss was promoted out of the ranks for 6. Komp.

Russian losses were more severe, with approximately 43.5% casualties during their assault. Close combat proved exceedingly dangerous for the Germans and accounted for most of the losses, including two pioneer squads that were ambushed by a Russian HS assault engineer. As mentioned, the artillery support was extremely lacking, and the air support did not perform as expected. Early reconnaissance of the enemy indicates that they will likely not be attacking for the next few days as they attempt to refit, having lost so many men as well as equipment.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
22 Oct Mission Orders

Situation

Progress is slowly being garnered in the continued push to secure the factories. Speed and maximum effort must be maintained by all units.

Mission
The mission continues from the previous day!

KG1 will continue to push out Soviet forces from the map edge, garages and warehouses while supporting KG 2 in their efforts.
The primary effort will be for KG 2 to sweep and clear Halls 4 and 5, with a view to push into Hall 3 if possible.
KG 3 will secure the Rote Haus, eliminating Col Ludinikov's command, then sweep south along river bank to secure gullies.

Execution
  1. Battalion Mortars (HE & Smoke) are available on call to support our endeavour.
  2. One flight of Stukas is on call.
  3. Sub-unit MG teams must sweep rooftops clear of the enemy to support the assault into the objectives.
  4. Reconstituted Infanterie-Kompanies 4. and 3. will support KGs 1 and 2 respectively
Administration and Logistics
Resupply has been completed, no further action is required.

Command and Signals
Respective CoCs must be maintained with KG Kommandeur reporting as required.

The code word for the commencement of the assault follows.