re:Coastal Fortress DYO Platoon Based System

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Anybody ever tried this slightly different approach to Kibler's original article?
Briefly, it builds on the same ideas except that it is a little more comprehensive by putting limitations on how units should be purchased based on historical doctrine. Where I unclear is the premise that the purchase of desired units also means a manditory purchase of other units as per the chart to the right.
Otherwise the premise looks pretty good, any thoughts? :)

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I take it no one tried Kibler's DYO system?
Perhaps the article needs to be updated to include North Africa as well as PTO? :rolleyes:

jserrano

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I guess the problem is that many people do not know the article, and since the disappearing of the Coastal Fortress site it will be quite difficult to find.

José

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
jserrano said:
I guess the problem is that many people do not know the article, and since the disappearing of the Coastal Fortress site it will be quite difficult to find.

José
Actually Kibler's article DYO "Going My Way" first appeared in the General way back around 85, 86 shortly after ASL came out to replace the Squad Leader system. I'll dig a bit and advise which issue. The premise of this Chapter H article goes a lot further than the simple Design Your Own DYO article in the rulebook. However it even Kibler's article stop short due to the then future release of the Western Desert and PTO modules. :cheeky:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank God for Webdex, here is the reference:

* Going All Out: Design Your Own (My Way), by Greg Schmittgens & Charles Kibler, The General 24:1:5-9, 20

PBDYO. Platoon Based Design Your Own, Tactiques 8 (French Lang. Fanzine):Insert (Jun-95, Association des Strateges Ludiques) - DYO Rules Variant System :halo:

Last edited:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
PBDYO. Platoon Based Design Your Own, Tactiques 8 (French Lang. Fanzine):Insert (Jun-95, Association des Strateges Ludiques) - DYO Rules Variant System

Whats really cool about this article is the amount of work that those folks did with researching out the OB force composition.

By the way, I printed out a copy of this article a while back from a really large pdf. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I found this item so does anyone know who host this article? :halo:

Shmitty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if anyone else has tried the concept, but these are some pretty fun scenarios, I've played two of them (i think there were 4 total, but it might only be 3)

Jake

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Say Shmitty,

do you have or know where people can grab the pdf for this article?
I think it would be great if it was available to the larger community for discussion. :cheeky:

Shmitty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish I did. I printed them out when CF was still in business. It's a real shame that when they went out, all the material went with them. Some of the playtest scenarios they had on there were really cool, but I didn't get the chance to print them all.

Jake

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did try both solo.......

DOUGHBOY,

I did try out both systems solo,so I can give you my impressions of them from long ago:

Liked Kibler's system for the random scenario generation,especially for the one-off scenario when just wanting to play a game of ASL without going to look thru+pick out a published scenario.Now prefer using the SASL tables,but may give this one another go.

For the Tactiques DYO,I loved the concept of it based on historical doctrine,but did not like how it was executed (based on my understanding of the DYO rules for that CG);use of fractional CPP,and OOB choices restricted by both the fractional CPP point values and having to buy X# of Rifle platoons before buying any HW groups,or any of the groups that had "cool toys."
Seems I had to buy a whole infantry company first before getting anything heavier.Example of this is in the Vienna 1945 scenario where the German's available CPP heavily restricts what that side can purchase (IIRC basically only a couple VG/Rifle platoons.)

I did not agree with this artificial restriction on unit purchases from a "historical" standpoint;again using the Vienna 1945 scenario,at that time it seems to me the Germans were throwing in ANYTHING they could scrape up to stem the Soviet tide,so having to use the heirarchal purchase order of X# Rifle platoons first before allowing any other platoon purchase did not reflect the true historical picture,in my mind.

With a revision to the platoon purchase system this would be an excellent CG....will have to look at this one again,too!

I think I have a copy on my home PC or on disk (at work now) so will look tonight and post here as to whether I have a copy or not.

Thanks,
MD

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
thedrake said:
For the Tactiques DYO,I loved the concept of it based on historical doctrine,but did not like how it was executed (based on my understanding of the DYO rules for that CG);use of fractional CPP,and OOB choices restricted by both the fractional CPP point values and having to buy X# of Rifle platoons before buying any HW groups,or any of the groups that had "cool toys."
Seems I had to buy a whole infantry company first before getting anything heavier.Example of this is in the Vienna 1945 scenario where the German's available CPP heavily restricts what that side can purchase (IIRC basically only a couple VG/Rifle platoons.)

I did not agree with this artificial restriction on unit purchases from a "historical" standpoint;again using the Vienna 1945 scenario,at that time it seems to me the Germans were throwing in ANYTHING they could scrape up to stem the Soviet tide,so having to use the heirarchal purchase order of X# Rifle platoons first before allowing any other platoon purchase did not reflect the true historical picture,in my mind.

With a revision to the platoon purchase system this would be an excellent CG....will have to look at this one again,too!

I think I have a copy on my home PC or on disk (at work now) so will look tonight and post here as to whether I have a copy or not.

Thanks,
MD
I do agree with you that the manditory requirements are a little harsh and I don't necessarily agree with them either. As with most of the war most units rarely were at book value especially with German and Soviet units on the Eastern Front. The inability to use the fractional CCP points is stupid and ASL Solitare does do a better job in that respect. I suppose there are elements that need some revisions shifting from hard rulings to guidelines. Besides, the article needs to include North Africa and the Pacific anyway.
I'll have to look over the article a bit more, though an electronic copy is certainly a lot more helpful as my printout was on low res making it difficult to read the charts :cool:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
thedrake said:
I looked over these mandatory purchases a bit and the requirements to purchase seem way off and challenges the stock inventory of the modules.
For example if the Germans wanted a heavy tank group of 2 MkIVs he is required to purchase 8 x I3. I3 being 3x548s; this means that there mustl be 24 548s squads in your OB before you qualify in purchasing the tanks! :surprise:

Of course you can purchase the tanks at 150% cost, which is the most likely scenario anyway. I think the manditory requirements are indeed way off and I would recommend cutting these requirements down by at least half round up. On the otherhand, perhaps there was something lost in the French to English translation? :crosseye:

AGKurland

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
CF Scenarios and Tactiques DYO

Tactiques - DYO system - I have a copy in PDF format on my drive. I also kept a copy of all of the scenarios (playtest) in PDF format. Would it be allowable to post them on the site?

Last edited:

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I,too,also have the DYO CG and the scenarios;if we cant post them here,can we email them privately????

MD

Shmitty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who would we ask? I'd say darned right, get them puppies up there. But I doubt that would be all that legal :)

Jake

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I suspect we could approach several ASL such SOCASL, Puget Sound, Mark Pitman's Desperation Morale site for starters. Perhaps Don Maddock or Chas might have some insight?

Shmitty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So could the playtest scens be posted? Would each individual scenario require authorization of it's author? Would it be possible to post them with the understanding that should the copyright holder request, they would be removed, or do we need explicit approval first? I'm not much up on copyright law (I'm a teacher, I violate the copyright law constantly :).

Jake