Problem with Decision in the North

Polynike

Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
Playing a PBEM with LaPlaice we have encountered this prob at turn44. He now has an OV but if you look at the attached image look at the scores!!!! can anyone shed any light on this or has anyone ever had something similar happen before

thanks in advance

polynike

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a similar problem with scoring in a game vs. Raver. Suddenly, around the same turn I think, he was winning by over a million points. I found the margin a little daunting to overcome. :nuts:

I tried to contact the designer, but never had any luck.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Did the problem recur in DiN? It may be a case of a rogue event giving a number of VPs to one side or the other for holding some piece of terrain, or it could be a TOAW thing.

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a similar problem with my "Next War 1979" scenario years ago. I assumed it was an overflow condition and informed Norm. He asked for the file and upon examining it declared that he had found the condition causing the overflow and had prepared a fix for it. When 1.04 came out I specifically asked him if the fix was in it, and he said that he assumed it was.

One question: what version were you both using when the above problem occured?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob Cross said:
I had a similar problem with my "Next War 1979" scenario years ago. I assumed it was an overflow condition and informed Norm. He asked for the file and upon examining it declared that he had found the condition causing the overflow and had prepared a fix for it. When 1.04 came out I specifically asked him if the fix was in it, and he said that he assumed it was.

One question: what version were you both using when the above problem occured?
I have encountered this at least three times. Once in a match of Fall Grau. Once when playtesting Crazy Dutches version of Krozny Grom and a time before that though it was a few years ago and I am not 100% sure what scenario it was anymore. Its some kind of error in TOAW and its certianly not fixed in 1.04 as both the two more recent matches where this occured to me where with 1.04. In the Fall Grau scenario multiple attempts to avoid it by replaying the turn and trying to avoid the effect failed though I believe we managed to put it off for a turn or two before giving up. Anyway its not DitN thats the problem but something in TOAW itself though what the root cause is exactly I am not sure of.

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This problem occurred when I tried to advance an unit in a hex on the Volhov (super) river where the bridge is blown, Novgorod to name it. I have an ID there and I thought that I could move a railroad unit in it (I thought there was a bridge). But of course it was impossible without the help of a pionier unit, and then the VPs number go to 10636.

La Palice.

Polynike

Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
So what do we suggestwe do LaPlaice?

shall we declare a draw, the actual score at the time before this abberation, and play out the rest of the scen its delicately balanced!!

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Couldn't we continue the game ? I played again my turn 44 (you should have it). And I will be careful not to make the same mistake in the next turns. Otherwise, if you prefer to stop, let's go for a draw.

La Palice.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Polynike said:
So what do we suggestwe do LaPlaice?

shall we declare a draw, the actual score at the time before this abberation, and play out the rest of the scen its delicately balanced!!
Can'r remember the exact event structure of that scenario but I don't think that the scenario has events fixed to victory levels. Even if it does get triggered you should be able to continue and work out the actual VPs based on the actual Loss VPs and victory hex VPs which should still work out. There may also be a few bonus VPs awarded in that scenario for one thing or another but its probable that teh actual amounts are listed. Bascially you can work out the actual victory level manually...sure its a pain and one feels as if they are regressing back to the stone ages when we played these things on tables in the basement that collected an excessive amount of dust during the weeks when we did not manage to get to the game...but it can be done.