Printing Primasole Bridge map from Wargame Vault?

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought the Primasole Bridge map from Wargame Vault but have no idea how to print it so that the hexes are the correct size, etc. I'd prefer if the map where in one or two sections rather than printing x number of 8.5" x 11" sheets....anyone have any tips?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In the past I've found going to a print shop and paying a small amount is well worth it.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I follow this procedure when I need to figure out the correct scale to print a PDF image at the "right size". I'm using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, and I put the values I used in square brackets:
  1. Zoom in on a portion of the image that would probably be about one sheet of paper. [I selected 125% for this sample]
  2. Select "Print". In the window that pops up, under "More Options" select "Current View"
  3. Print
  4. Measure the hexes on the Primosole Bridge map from ASL Journal #6. [I measured 7 hexes were 6 7/8", for 0.982" per hex.]
  5. Measure the hexes on the sample you just printed. [I measured 9 hexes covered 10 27/32", for 1.21111" per hex.]
  6. Calculate the correct zoom factor: (zoom factor used) * (desired hex side) / (sample print hex size) [125% * 0.982" / 1.2111" = 101.37% ]
My margin of measurement error is larger than 1.37% so I wouldn't bother with that. You can use the "Actual Size" print option with the PDF map from MMP -- this is what I suspected all along but it's easy to check.

Now I know that when I print the whole map, I'll want to print it at "Actual Size". I would select "Print", and in the popup "Poster", "Tile Scale" 100, "Overlap" maybe 0.2 inches. Under "Page Setup" I'd choose the paper "Size" I wanted. As @ibncalb wrote, go to a print shop, explain what you want. The map is 21.7" x 31.2" (select Print, Actual Size, and the dimensions appear above the preview). That would fit on one ANSI D-sized sheet (22"x34") or two C-sized (17" x 22") with 1" of overlap, but the printer's margins might not let 21.7" fit on 22", but there's a white margin around the map so the actual printed width you need is about 21".

Trainspotter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'd love to use this quite old tool named "posterizer". https://posterazor.sourceforge.io/

Whith that you can print big images on multiple pages with an defined overhang for glueing.
Used it alot for ASL maps and in my woodshop for printing templates.

Another tool - not free - could be Matthias Wandel's BigPrint Tool https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/
He's quite a famous woodworker on youtube.

Have a try!

Last edited:

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the past I've found going to a print shop and paying a small amount is well worth it.
I will definitely take it to a print shop, but don't I need to tell them how to print it so that it comes out correclty?

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As @ibncalb wrote, go to a print shop, explain what you want. The map is 21.7" x 31.2" (select Print, Actual Size, and the dimensions appear above the preview). That would fit on one ANSI D-sized sheet (22"x34") or two C-sized (17" x 22") with 1" of overlap, but the printer's margins might not let 21.7" fit on 22", but there's a white margin around the map so the actual printed width you need is about 21".
So if I tell the print shop to print it "Actual size" on an ANSI D-sized sheet it should turn out OK?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So if I tell the print shop to print it "Actual size" on an ANSI D-sized sheet it should turn out OK?
Yes. You may want to talk to them about the size of the printed image, versus what they can print. Explain about the white border and that it is acceptable to crop that. What you don't want is for them to give you all the white margin on one side, but cut off part of the map on the other side. I'd also print out and bring a reduced-size copy so they can see what the finished product should look like. I've encountered some unskilled employees at companies like Staples, where they seem to only know how to press "Print" and "OK". Hopefully those are the exception.

Dr. X

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had great success taking map files or the actual maps themselves to a print shop. They had the capability to scan an original or print from file to very high quality media from 48" wide (if I recall correctly) to just about any length you want as the media is on a large roll. They can also scale so if you want the map enlarged, no problem.

Being professionals, it didn't take long for them to complete the job. In fact, a few times they printed a map, which looked fine to me, but said they could do better, and printed more until they got what they felt was the best they could do. They charged me for one print and just gave me the extras no charge.

Pricing will be more than going to an Office Depot or Staples, but you could be there all day trying to get it right and they charge for every copy - even if there is an error.

I put a high value on my free time so the print shop was a no brainer choice in this matter.