• Other-if other please post it as a reply

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the discussion about how to expand the ranks of TacOps players. I thought a couple of polls to establish who we are would might be of some use.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I piggybacked the TacOps order with Combat Mission BO order in 2000 when I recognized that TacOps is the game written by that (only?) reasonable guy on the war-historical usenet group.

Plus it was only 25 bucks so I don't bother to evaluate before buying.

tinjaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't remember, but my guess is either directly or indirectly through Wargamer.com.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Someone told me about it a number of years ago here on the forum. I actually didn't buy it at the time though.

philb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I spotted a reference on another game's forum (Half-Life Firarms, IIRC) -- some people were commenting on one of the scenerios. So I looked at the evaluation version....

Phil.

Last edited:

Sniper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TacOps Poll

Gents,

I'll make a very long story somewhat brief. ;)

In the early nineties I received a mailer from Arsenal Publishing about TacOps for the Mac. How they got my address or the fact I was interested in games like this is beyond me. Was an avid V4V player at the time, might have harvested my name from V4V registration lists.

Inquired about TacOps for a PC and learned it was in developement.

.....massive amount of details left out here..... :hush:

Got enlisted as a beta tester for the initial PC version. It is the only game that has never left my hard drive for ten years. Mainly a solitaire player, occasional PBEM and 2-p network. Still haven't done a full blown CPX but recently stepped in as sole CO at the end of a game.

Randy

tinjaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sniper said:
[snip]from Arsenal Publishing about TacOps[/snip]
Dawg gone! I forgot all about Arsenal. Yes, that is where I heard about TacOps. I remember the tan manual with the AT team firing a missile. Dang that's a long time ago.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure how I learned of TacOps, but I grabbed the demo shortly after its release for PC, and soon after that I'd ordered it. :)

And, like Sniper, it hasn't left my hard drive since.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Belive it or not :D I read the book "Marine" by Tom Clancy back in 1996 and when I finished it, I lookad at the bibliography and under games, I show the title TacOps and punch it in the web search and found the game TacOps. I played the demo for one day ordered it the next day and have kept it on my hard drive ever since. Not only do I play it at home but use it at work :D And I can't wait until v5 comes out for players to use :D

John

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
when I joined the reserves as an officer cadet, we were taught combined arms tactics using TacOpsANZAC.

me and a mate both decided we'd get the retail version v4 because of cheap price and all the other stuff.

plus, I also get to use it for work - but not so much play as use it as a large scale presentation for various OOTW issues that we tend to come across - the ROEs are another of the best reasons for getting it :)

the FRTs at work use it rather than VBS1 for simple movement ex's because it;s easier to set up and is stable. VBS1 may be a lot prettier, and a better scale, but it's also a bitch to use properly :( - it also has stability issues, whereas I've left TacOps running for 2 weeks straight and it hasn;t even twitched :D

Sniper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gents,

Has anyone noticed a curious response (or lack thereof) in this poll? The choice 'from a friend' is at O%! Maybe we are not getting the word out about TacOps. The other possiblity is to grim to mention :D

Randy

Tripler

My other car is a VBIED.
Reaction score
I learned about TacOps back when it was 3.0, IIRC, that was back in my earlier years of college . . .

Tripler
Yep, back in '95-'96. I've loved it ever since.

Rame

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My brother caught onto a early version from someplace and later passed on the Battlefront order site to me.

philb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Sniper said:
Has anyone noticed a curious response (or lack thereof) in this poll? The choice 'from a friend' is at O%! Maybe we are not getting the word out about TacOps. The other possiblity is to grim to mention :D
I think it's a game which appeals to a certain (relatively rare) mindset. I can think of friends and colleagues who like the faster paced FPS and RTS games, but are much less keen on the more 'thoughtful' games. On seeing TacOps, they see a game that requires a lot more effort to get into than something more superficial.

Either that or your grim possibility...!

Perhaps I should try convincing some of them to try two-player networked games using the evaluation version (will it interoperate with the full version for that? re-reading the demo notes suggests that it will not).

Phil.

Last edited:

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Perhaps I should try convincing some of them to try two-player networked
>games using the evaluation version (will it interoperate with the full
>version for that? re-reading the demo notes suggests that it will not).

The demo and the full version can not play each other. However, the demo version has a very small footprint and it will install and coexist peacefully beside the full version. So you could download and use the demo version to play your friend.

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've had very little luck convincing anybody to try this game. It's not the graphics, because 90% of the people didn't even want to have a look at it...most said it sounds too "hard" (I don't know how you can make that judgement without at least trying it out first).

JohnfMonahan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MajorH said:
>Perhaps I should try convincing some of them to try two-player networked
>games using the evaluation version (will it interoperate with the full
>version for that? re-reading the demo notes suggests that it will not).

The demo and the full version can not play each other. However, the demo version has a very small footprint and it will install and coexist peacefully beside the full version. So you could download and use the demo version to play your friend.
So if we could modify the demo database for WWII we could use it for testing said concept?

philb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hub said:
most said it sounds too "hard" (I don't know how you can make that judgement without at least trying it out first).
Are you sure you're not talking about some of the people in my classes? ('This assignment is too hard!' 'Have you tried it?' 'No....' :mad: )

Phil.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bump for those who have not noticed the poll or responded yet.