POA2 - Next Patch time frame?

meade95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone know when HPS (Scott) plans to put out the patch correcting multi-part units?

It seems POA2 has really hit a rut over the past 3 weeks. Nothing really new happening....I would think for sure a few more scenario's would have been put out by now by HPS....considering only 8 shipped with the game (11 by the time it was playable)...

I am hoping POA2 isn't dying on the vine out there.....but it would make much more sense for HPS to be putting out quick tutorials, quick/small scenario's, reviews, etc......or at least updates on the next patch and a realistic time frame for it...

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think we just have to be patient. The guys at HPS still have some work to do with POA2. In the last email I recieved from Scott he told me they were working on the unit routines. In addition to that I have sent them three "bug reports" over the last three or four weeks concerning, bridging, smoke rounds and engineering tasks. It all takes time, but for my money as long as we all keep working at this one POA2 will live up to its potential and more.

Gary

HPS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I’m hoping to have the 2.02 beta out this week. Although, I’ve managed to find and fix a few bugs, so far Jeff and I have been pretty much completely occupied adding the new composite unit scheme, and also the new flexible scenario creation procedure.

Sturm has updated the databases to correct the errors we’ve found, plus added the Germans, French, and Israelis. He’s working on the Chinese now.

Those will be the big improvements, but I’ll also be adding more things from the list and fixing whatever we find.

See ya,
-Scott

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks Scott, thats great news. Did you get the British amendments I sent you?

Gary

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HPS said:
Well, I’m hoping to have the 2.02 beta out this week. Although, I’ve managed to find and fix a few bugs, so far Jeff and I have been pretty much completely occupied adding the new composite unit scheme, and also the new flexible scenario creation procedure.

Sturm has updated the databases to correct the errors we’ve found, plus added the Germans, French, and Israelis. He’s working on the Chinese now.

Those will be the big improvements, but I’ll also be adding more things from the list and fixing whatever we find.

See ya,
-Scott
SWOON......:D

Awsome work... I am really getting into a Golan scenario with Don's new symbols and some Isreali stuff would really help!

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary said:
Thanks Scott, thats great news. Did you get the British amendments I sent you?

Gary
Don't such things belong in Parliament not an Army?
heehee!
:D

HPS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To give you and update on the patch, Jeff is almost done with the new composite units (I think folks will be really happy with them), I’m almost done with the new scenario creation routine (I know folks will be really happy with it), and Sturm just finished the Chinese and is working on the Australians (which will definitely make the Australian folks happy). Oh, and if anyone has any database corrections, please have them report them ASAP. If they don’t get into this patch, they’ll have to wait until the next one comes out. :D

-Scott

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awsome!
can you give us a hint about what changes are in the scenario creation process...?
I just started work on a Golan scen. and I don;t want to get to far along if it is wiser to wait.
Thanks,
-T

meade95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new patches should be coming out any day now I would suspect. I was hoping we could have play-tested them over the holiday weekend.....(this past week). Darn.

andrew

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The latest

Got the following update last night from HPS last night in an email exchange.

Rgds
Andrew

I’m not sure when the next update is going to be out. I had hoped the first beta would be ready last week, but these new things are proving more difficult than we thought. The scenario creation in particular is a real pain - all of the initialization routines and things like that were written to operate in a linear environment - and end up really hacking things up if forces are already present. It will be another day or two, but I still hope to have it out this week.... so stay tuned.

It will also include the new databases, which I just got from Greg today. So the Chinese will be in there for anyone looking to make a Taiwan scenario on your map. ;-)

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andrew, thanks for this update... I have been waiting to start some new scenarios until the scenario maker is set and ready. Now I need to find out from Scott if the other scenarios will be backward compatible.
-T

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I got a message from Scott today. The patch is nearing completion and is in the beta stage. They are ironing out a few wrinkles, but it should be done soon. The initial patch will probably be released only to the beta test team in order to make sure everything is working. There is no sense releasing it to everyone and having it cause a bunch of new problems.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ive got POA on order at the moment, ( Have for a while now actually.... its taking ages... worrying ) and all these comments on problems with POA are making a bit twitchy for when it comes through the post whether its going to be playable to a good degree, someone put my mind at rest plzzzz :confused:

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Read Don Maddox's latest review and it should give you a good understanding of where things are going and where they have been... I can say that Scott and his team have listened a lot to our concerns and given us the oppurtunity as a community on this forum to really influence how this warsim takes shape. As it stands now, POA2 in my opinion is really doing well and a far cry better than when it first shipped because the developement team took our gripes seriously. So if you think the makers are going to pump out a product and then disappear nothing could be farther from the truth.
In it's current state it is still fun and deeply interesting. Some things still need to be addressed like smoke, mortar and unit organization, but another patch is forthcoming. I can't think how many companies actually solicite the opinions of thier customers like HPS has with us. If I had to do it over again, I would still buy it.
-Tiberius

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Well Ive gone and read the review just a moment ago, and things are alot clearer ( Thanx Don ) despite the hiccups I think I can live with what is wrong.

I am running an 800 MHz machine with 512mb RAM, due for a new PC for sure!! and I cant see myself having a problem waiting for the turns to process, im just pleased that they will process on my my machine.

On the subject of support, Major H at Battlefront.com the creator of TacOps has been eqaully as helpful, he is a one man band and has not turned his back on the niche market, he is constantly updating TacOps and providing the minor improvements that make the game run as it should.

So I am pleased to hear that the HPS team are just as helpful, I feel a bit better about having ordered POA-2, its just coming thorugh the post which is the problem :( . Still I must have patience!

Thanks T