Operation Lion de Mer 2004 - JLB vs Chuck

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 1 -

The turn opens and the first thing I notice is that Jean-Luc Betin (JLB) has made nearly 5000 moves. More than I expected. He appears to be going for a pincer strategy as the bulk of his airborne units land in the northern parts of the UK. Really, this is rather shocking. Both Kingston-Upon-Hull and Middlesborough have been overrun with regular infantry while a vast number of airborne units have created a huge circle around the US V Corps at Newcastle. I can only surmise that JLB's hope is that he is going to overstretch my outnumbered defenders in the early going and deliver a knock out blow.

JLB does a number of traditional landings in the south along the coast of England. He also drops some airmobile units in the southern suburbs of London. There is really nothing I can do to stop these moves as I have so few defenders to work with. Southeast UK will have to be sacrificed.

Looking over the map and JLB's initial deployments, I decide that my main line of defense will be along the general axis of Birmingham - Leeds - Lancaster - Edinburgh. The terrain here is heavily wooded and hilly, providing good defensive values for my units. This line also protects the ports of the Western UK like Blackpool, Liverpool, and Lancaster where reinforcements are set to arrive. Within a few weeks I should be in a good position to begin counterattacks against the Euro troops. This plan is just preliminary of course and depends on how well the invaders do in the initial days.

Now for my first moves. Half of the UK 3rd Mechanized Division is located in the southwest part of the country around Salisbury (the other half is positioned in the center of the UK). I move a lot of these units back into the White Horse Hills where they can guard the roads leading north into the industrial city of Birmingham and east via M4 into Bristol. This will just be a delaying action to allow my main line more time to coalesce. Eventually the 3rd will move back behind the Severn River to join the main line.

To the east is the great city of London and its small detachment of military units. Although there is no chance in the long run of keeping control of the city, I plan to give JLB a little bit of a fight for the place. There are several hexes of dense urban terrain within the city and these give a big advantage to the defender. I move infantry battalions to different sections of the city and start moving the two armored units northwest along highway M1.

At the Chunnel I have a few infantry units cutoff with no chance of escape. I attempt to attack the Belgium commandos guarding the place but see my units decimated by Euro air units. The Chunnel is now safely in the hands of the enemy.

A little to the north the UK 16th Air Assault Brigade finds itself in close combat with the German 7th Panzer Grenadier Brigade. I am outnumbered here and have little chance going up against German 21st century panzers. A retreat is in order and I start moving units toward the northwest, blowing bridges as I go. The terrain here is pretty flat so the only natural features that can slow down oncoming units are the rivers.

The center of the country is barren of troops except for the other half of the 3rd Mech. Div. I have to protect the key city of Manchester so I move several units into the "backbone of England", where there are plenty of hills to use for defensive purposes. The enemy forces at Kingston-Upon-Hull and Middleburgh will surely attempt to quickly move through here and take Manchester.

There is a big battle brewing in Southern Scotland between the US 1st Armored Division and the multitude of enemy airborne units that landed around Newcastle. The Coalition troops within Newcastle are hopelessly surrounded but I do attempt to fight my way out with a couple of British armored recon battalions. The 1st is taking up a strong position within the hills and mountains south of Edinburgh. The Scots have little to worry about.

Turn 2 -

The situation grows grimmer this turn as scores of additional Euro units arrive in the UK. I am getting concerned over the pace of the enemy advance and the holes that I currently have in my lines. I just need to buy some time.

In London I suffer a disappointment as two of my infantry battalions are retreated. I had thought they would hold out longer since they were not surrounded yet and the terrain was dense urban. I was luckily able to fix one of the battalions and dig it back into some dense urban on the edge of the city. Given the pace of operations and my complete lack of air support, I figure my two remaining infantry battalions will be destroyed on the next turn.

To the west things look a bit better as the large Belgium and French force around Salisbury is unable to advance very far. A few units I had left behind did a good job of slowing up the attacker. On the next turn the Euros should reach the White Horse Hills but I am very strong here.

My main defensive line is coming together, centered on the city of Birmingham. The UK 1st Armored Division is located here and this force is quite large. They will put up a fierce fight if and when JLB comes a calling.

The large German force around Kingston grows larger with additional reinforcements. It is able to spread out this turn and take York from units of mine that were beginning to come together. Leeds is also there for the taking if JLB wants to grab it within the next few turns. After that I may be able to find enough spare units to attempt to keep the place.

To the south and southwest of Manchester the 2nd Marine Division is moving into place. Although not known as mountain troops, the Marines will have to secure the Pennies. This area looks safe as not too many Euros are around at this point.

A more pressing problem is the gap between the UK 19th Mechanized Brigade and the US 1st Armored Division in Northern England. The gap is nearly 200 kilometers wide and centered along the axis Carlisle-Lancaster. I have the US 1st Infantry Division moving in as reinforcements but I don't know if they can setup in time. JLB has already reached Selkirk and I am not interested in trying to shift my 1st Arm. Div. units to the south. If JLB is aggressive he might try to sever the rail link between England and Scotland. I will have to begin a counterattack if he does this, as I really don't want to see my forces split in two.

Turn 3 -

As I began to suspect last turn, JLB's plans to divide the UK into two by driving toward Irish Sea coast in the northern part of England. His beachhead at Newcastle has really grown in size and is quickly advancing into the most vulnerable part of my line. I feel a big battle coming despite my wish to remain on the defensive for a while.

A number of Euro units are pushing toward the headwaters of the River Tyne and beyond. At the vanguard of the Euro force is a brigade of French paratroopers who are not too troubling. Behind that however are two German mechanized brigades. I have to counter this so I move the 3rd Brigade of the US 1st Arm. Div. into the valley east of Carlisle. I also rail much of the US 1st Inf. Div. to north of Carlisle, where they are forced to wait because a bridge is blown.

Despite the current gloomy situation, I wonder if JLB is trying to go for too much at one time. Once I get the 1st Inf. into place plus some additional units that on the way, a counterattack into Newcastle is a possibility. Most of his armor is located far to the south and appears to be heading west toward Manchester and Birmingham. I think I can hold him here while cutting off and destroying the Euros in the north. Of course only if I can survive the big problems coming in the next few days.

To the south of Newcastle are several German panzer and panzer grenadier battalions moving into Leeds. If they continue west, as I expect they will, they will then tangle with the 2nd Marine Div fortified in hills. I don't see much concern here. JLB probably should have sent at least one of these brigades to Newcastle to strengthen his guillotine force.

Otherwise there are no surprises this turn. Most the Euro troops in the south are headed for a showdown with the UK 1st Arm. Div. at Birmingham. I think I can hold here long enough for reinforcements to arrive from the US.

Turn 4 -

It looks like I am heading for a fierce fight with my French friend in the valley between Carlisle and Newcastle. He has managed to put some reconnaissance vehicles and infantry over a key mountain and is now looking down up River Eden valley. I manage to plug the gap with over 100 M1A2 tanks plus supporting equipment from the US 1st Inf. Div. Directly to the southeast I also have put some engineers into the mountains and they directly overlook the road running through the gap. This position is not that strong but I have over a dozen combat ready battalions moving up from Carlisle during the next couple of turns.

To the south JLB has moved the French 11th Parachute Brigade into a position southeast of Carlisle. I don't have much here but I do manage to plug this gap with yet another 100 plus M1A2 tanks. I also move in a couple of battalions from the 3rd UK Mech. Div. from the Manchester area to help out.

The Germans have easily overrun Leeds and are now moving directly west into a wall of USMC infantry battalions. Otherwise the rest of the map is still fairly quiet. My defenses pivoted on Birmingham are very strong and the Euros will likely struggle to break it. Also I have brought in all my fresh fighter groups and put them on air superiority. This is should at least get me some decent air cover in the northern half of the map where the big fight is about to begin.

Turn 5 -

The battle for Northern England begins in earnest today. I have decided to throw everything I have up here against JLB's undersupplied and overstretched light forces. He also lacks much armor in this area so he has little hope of holding of all my M1A2s for very long. The goal over the next five turns is to surround and completely destroy these enemy formations. If successful, I will liberate Newcastle and begin shifting south to get in the rear of the German panzer units operating in Central England.

The US 1st Arm. Div. spent the last four days along a ridge of mountains guarding Edinburgh from attack. Now with the change of initiative I swing them down into the River Tweed valley, perpendicular to their previous position. Here they find only airborne units guarding the Euro line all the way to the North Sea. Despite the lack of armor facing me, my attacks are easily thrown back. This is a perfect example of what happens when your opponent has adequate artillery and air support and you don't: a much weaker force can easily maul a more powerful one. On the next turn I should have some artillery in position where it can provide tactical support and this should assist me in winning the river crossings.

Just to the southwest, the US 1st Inf. Div. has moved up and attempts to counterattack the Germans holding the road. They hold out but the important thing is that the drive to Carlisle has been stopped. It is up to my other units to attack the Euros flanks and achieve the victory.

The Euro's left flank is held by some French paratroopers and here I am not quite yet prepared to counterattack. Elements of several formations on moving toward the area, with the British 19th Brigade attacking the far end of the line. I do manage a couple of attacks with Queen's Lancers, but I lose half of my Challengers IIs without forcing the paratroopers back.

Given this is 21st century warfare, my moves described so far are not yet complete. Under the cover of about 100 F-16 Falcons, I drop behind the enemy lines four battalions of the UK 52nd Infantry Brigade and a lone battalion from the US 173rd Airborne Brigade. Enemy fighters down many of my helicopters, but I manage to land the bulk of the units intact. This move has cut off the supply of most of the enemy units and I may be able to hold here if JLB tries to counterattack.

The only other interesting event of the turn is down towards Manchester where JLB has thrown a several German panzer and panzer grenadier battalions into the Marines here. I am somewhat concerned by my lack of armor here right now but am not going to panic. An armored regiment near Liverpool is set to activate on turn 7 and they can come to the rescue if need be.

JLB attacks in a couple of places and manages to defeat the 6th Marines Regiment - 2nd Battalion, putting a small dent in my previously flat line. However he also makes a bad mistake at the same time with this penetration. All three of his attacking units move into the hex after the battle, cutting these units off from supply on the next turn. He should have used limited attack with at least one of his units so that there would have been a supply route open on the next turn. Now those three units will probably all be red and facing bright green Marines.

Last edited:

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 6-10: The Battering Continues

Turn 6 –

My unbreakable wall of Marines is apparently breakable. JLB has extended the gap he first made last turn in the Marine’s line and is trying to squeeze his way into Manchester. I’m a little worried that if he gets close enough he could win the city by way of attrition. Given that I have already yielded up Bristol and Leeds without a fight, I cannot really afford to lose yet another major city.

To counter this threat, I move the 3rd Brigade of the US 1st Inf. Div. and the 504th Paratrooper Regiment south. I also have some tanks of the US 35th Infantry Division activating next turn near Liverpool that can be used to close the gap. For this turn, I concentrate my attack helicopters on the German panzer battalions and destroy a fair amount of equipment.

To put more pressure on the Euros drive forward, I move some units out from their fortified position and attack the exposed enemy left flank. Three German battalions are surrounded at Stock-on-Trent but hold out against several attacks. Also, some Marines move forward and approach the road southwest of Bradford.

In the north, JLB attempts to fight his way out of the trap I made for him. He does a good job at battering the isolated battalions of the UK 52nd Inf. Div. but still leaves his rearguard exposed to airmobile drops. I am able to transport a couple of additional paratrooper battalions near Newcastle to again cut off the supply to these forward units. On the left flank, I counterattack the retreating French Paratroopers and move closer to the Yorkshire Moors.

Turn 7 –

JLB has a great turn and really hurts me in a number of places. I have underestimated the effect of not having adequate air support in a modern scenario. Many of the places where I thought the lines were solid have been easily broken by the combination of armor, artillery, and air support. The Coalition has plenty of bombers and attack helicopters but without fighters they are too vulnerable to use.

In the South, the Euros have reached the lines at Birmingham and I begin to wonder if my confidence in my position here is misplaced. There are a vast number of enemy battalions all moving toward the city with plenty of infantry, armor, and artillery. While the UK 1st Arm. Div. is well supplied and fortified, they have absolutely no air support. They will be hit by lots of attack helicopters over the new few days and it will be messy for all those armored vehicles located around the city.

A little to the north, JLB has caused a minor break in my lines. However, again I have cut several battalions of his off from supply and this should slow him down. The biggest worry is that there is no Coalition reserve here. I may have to bring some of the retreating Marines down here and then use the forces around Manchester to fill in the new gap that will cause.

The Marines right-flank has withdrawn to the Manchester-Birmingham railroad and is now somewhat free to be repositioned elsewhere. I had moved them forward but they can’t do much damage against even worn out armored battalions. The Marines left wing has been hit very hard by the German panzers and is now pretty much non-existent as a fighting force. There are luckily lots of fresh units on the way, including the US 35th Infantry Division which has just begun to mobilize. Manchester still looks safe unless JLB brings up additional reinforcements into this sector.

At Newcastle JLB has reformed his lines using several helicopter units. Given that I have zero fighters flying air superiority missions at this point, there is little I can do about this. Nonetheless, I use my overwhelming ground numbers here to perform a decent counterattack and a large number of Euro battalions are either destroyed or cut off from supply again. Newcastle should be retaken in a turn or two unless some Euro reinforcements show up.

My air plan now is to hold all planes in Norway until turn 10. At that point I will bring them all down in one large move and start attacking the Euro airfields with all my heavy bombers. This will hopefully turn the tide in the air war and give me at least parity, which is all I really need at this point.

Turn 8 –

Matters are quickly getting worse. JLB continues to move forward under heavy air cover. My ability to counterattack is almost nil. My only hope is continue to slowly build up the number of fighter squadrons I have and try to put them in theater all at the same time.

The Euros have plunged into the Birmingham defenses and caused quite a mess. Enemy units are now adjacent to the city and there is little I can do to force them back. To the north, some Spanish infantry battalions have been dropped by helicopter into the western part of Britain near Shrewsbury. Again, with no fighter cover, there is little I can do to stop these kinds of moves.

Turn 9 –

Ouch. Birmingham is all but lost. The bulk of the mighty 1st UK Arm. Div. has been pushed back away from the city and only a few units remain protecting the location. It should fall on the next turn. My goal now is to hold the Euro at the Severn River – good luck with that.

In the middle of the map, I am attempting to limit the damage of JLB’s Shrewsbury drop. Some engineers and the like have been moved here to prevent the units from moving about. At the same time, I am attempting to hold the area around Stoke-on-Trent to prevent a general breakout through this area into Wales.

The Manchester, Liverpool, and Blackpool tri-city area looks like my strongest position right now. The 35th US Infantry Division has now arrived and is guarding the attack routes into the area. The German armored units attacking here look very worn out and I doubt they will make many more attacks westward for a while.

My counterattack continues toward Newcastle, albeit very slowly. The Euros have an air superiority of 49 while I’m at 0. Makes it difficult to advance and most of my attack helicopters have been grounded.

Turn 10 –

OK, I bring in several fresh fighter squadrons this turn, including over 100 F-15s and F-16s, in an attempt to dispute Euro air superiority. I strike some forward enemy air bases with my B-1 and B-52 bombers but this does little good. The air superiority is at 46-19 in favor of the bad guys at the end of the turn.

The situation along the Severn River is a real mess as 1st UK Arm. Div. has been destroyed, leaving large gaps in my lines. I try to position units to slow the Euro’s progress but this is only going to buy me a few turns of peace. After that the entire western corner of the map looks to be in trouble.

JLB has made a little opening several hex south of Manchester with his German units. The Marines in this area are pretty much finished as an effective fighting force. I do have a reserve in Liverpool to send out so the situation isn’t that critical.

The counterattack against Newcastle continues but the city itself remains in enemy hands. The 2nd US Armored Cavalry Regiment has arrived and moved into a location southwest of the city to protect an open flank in my lines. Unfortunately, large numbers of fresh Euro armored units have railed into the region this turn. I expect trouble here soon. Not what I need.

Last edited:

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 11-15: Euros Continue Advance

Turn 11 –

Hundreds of transport helicopters arrive in Scotland this turn but they are useless until there are more friendly fighters in the sky. Most of my fighters are reorganizing and the Euros have a 47-0 advantage in air superiority. It will be a while, perhaps around turn 20, before I can turn this around.

The fighting on the ground was fairly quiet this turn and I attempt some minor counterattacks in a number of places. JLB is still cleaning up the Birmingham area but there is no stopping him here in the long term. I will have to eventually abandon all of Wales and make West England into a stronghold.

The fighting around Shrewsbury continues and neither side is strong enough to claim an advantage here. The Spanish airmobile forces are mostly holding their position to keep open the roads here for stronger forces advancing from the east. I attack them with units from the 3rd British Commando Brigade but little progress is made.

The Newcastle front has stabilized and the Euros will soon begin attacking here once again. Several fresh Dutch and Spanish formations have arrived and they look to wield lots and lots of armor. The 2nd US Arm. Cav. Rgt. with over 200 M1A1 tanks and M3 fighting vehicles has sallied forth to meet the Dutch east of Lancaster but they are vastly outnumbered.

Turn 12 –

The Severn River defenses are broken this turn and the evacuation of Wales will start within a turn or two. This will mean the loss of Cardiff and a small decline in the amount of supply my units get. There is no choice but to do this however as the number of Euro units in this sector is staggering. Most of the enemy hexes have four to five battalions while I’m trying to hold every two hex with only a single battalion.

I counterattack a bit near Shrewsbury and manage to push back a few enemy battalions. This should be enough to prevent a rapid breakout here. Further to the east in a wooded region of England, the Euros press westward against scattered remains of some USMC formations.

Fifty kilometers south of Manchester, I bring up a number of engineering units from the 35th US Inf. Div. to blunt a flanking maneuver being executed by German armor. A spare paratrooper regiments is also positioned near the town of Chester to block the direct route to Liverpool from the German lines. The terrain here is wooded so I don’t expect a thrust toward Irish Sea coast for a number of days.

The Dutch have begun their counterattack approximately eighty kilometers east of Lancaster. The 101st US Airborne Division and 2nd US Arm. Cav. Rgt. do well in the initial fight and the enemy units look like they have not taken well to live combat.

Turn 13 –

JLB reaches Cardiff this turn with some French units and the plan to withdraw to the western ports along Cardigan Bay is begun. The scenario gives the Coalition side a limited amount of sea transport for escaping such situations. Note that using sea transport for landing against enemy locations is prohibited by the house rules.

German units have reached the RAF airfield at Shawbury and linked up with the remaining Spanish airborne battalions around Shrewsbury. I have little choice now but to offer up all of Wales to the Euros in exchange for keeping them out of the Liverpool area.

The Dutch counterattack picks up steam this turn with the assistance of some Spanish armored formations. The tanks of the 2nd US Arm. Cav. Rgt. are pushed back into the foothills of the Pennines after a series of attacks from the 13th, 41st, and 43rd Dutch Gemechaniserd formations. The infantry of the 101st US Air. Div. does even worse and half of its units are routed.

To make matters worse, additional Spanish armored formations have arrived in Newcastle along the Tyne River. They are backed up by a large amount of artillery and could cause some problems for Edinburgh down the line. The 256th US Infantry Brigade arrives at that same city this turn and they begin to move down the road toward Newcastle.

The air war is really out of control now and the Euros now have a 61-2 advantage in air superiority. With air interdiction beginning to increase, I am almost at the point where counterattacking will be a bad idea due to all the extra attacks the enemy bombers will get in. I really don’t know how the Euros can be stopped in the air since it is against the house rules to bomb the airfields in France.

Turn 14 –

Things are really becoming unhinged now. The French units in the south have broken out and are well into Wales now. Even worse, the Spanish and Dutch have created some holes in my northern line and are making a bid to move into Scotland. The air situation is still very bad and I am faced with a 9% interdiction level.

As expected, JLB has taken Cardiff this turn and started to move up the Wye River located in southeastern Wales. Luckily there are no more objectives to worry about in southern Wales so losing the rest won’t be too much of a loss – except for increasing the Euro air interdiction rate I should add. There is a 90-point objective at Holyhead in the far northwestern corner of Wales but it will be some time before that is endangered.

A mix of Coalition units continues to fight a delaying action around Shrewsbury. These units don’t even number enough to create a continuous line but they can still prevent any rapid movements by the enemy forces into the Liverpool area. A large number of artillery pieces have arrived at Blackpool and I will move them south to assist in defending the area.

The situation with the Dutch and Spanish east of Lancaster has become very grim indeed. The 101st Div. has been totally broken apart and can no longer put up an effective defense. I’m now forced to doing things like guard a hex with an MP company vs. a couple of tank battalions. Obviously this is a bad situation to be in.

Turn 15 –

JLB continues his offensives in the northern and southern sectors of the battlefield. In Wales, masses of French and Belgium troops continue to press westward. I have scattered a handful of battalions in the western ridges of the country to slow his advance up in coming turns.

I have stripped some units from the lines protecting Manchester to store up the lines a bit to the south around Chester. Over 100 M1A1s are moved to the road east of the city and are ordered to hold at all cost. I have stacked an infantry battalion within the hex of each tank battalion as this is supposed to make them defend a lot better.

The Spanish and Dutch continue to cause me trouble up north near the Scottish border and I have little choice but to strip some units from the Newcastle front to prevent a catastrophic rout. One Spanish unit has gotten to within twenty kilometers of Scotland and more are on the way.

The news briefing states that Italy, Greece, Portugal, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden have joined the war on the side of the Euros. This can’t be good news as the Coalition can’t stop what enemy forces are already on the map. I do get a lot of reinforcements on turn 18 and 19 but it will only offset what the Euros apparently get.

At the end of the turn, I put all my fighters on air superiorly in attempt to get some kind of relief from the overwhelming Euro air interdiction. The numbers are 52-28 in favor of the enemy. It remains to be seen how that will hold up come the next turn.

Last edited:

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 16-20: Scotland in Trouble

Turn 16 –

The Beacons and Swansea are overrun in the south this turn. I am running some units ahead of the pack, blowing up bridges as they go. Should slow up the Europeans for a day or two anyway before they reach Cardigan Bay.

The lines before Chester have shifted toward the southwest to cover the road into Wrexham. The terrain here is mountainous so it could potentially make a good defensive position if the overall situation improves. Don’t have big hopes though.

Spanish units in the north have almost reached the rail line between Carlisle and Lancaster. It looks very bad for Scotland at this point. I am trying to buy time here but looking at the reinforcement screen I don’t see ever getting enough of a reserve to reverse things.

Turn 17 -

Hmm… Let’s see, the European’s received Italian aircraft on the previous turn and this turn they get Portuguese aircraft. They also get a 50% increase in replacement production this turn. Doesn’t look like the Euros will run out of steam for some time to come.

JLB’s blitz across Wales continues this turn as some French battalions reach Carmarthen. Further to the north I have positioned the Royal Welsh regiment at the town of Aberystwyth. Some French armor should arrive here in a day or two.

Carlisle is lost this turn. Several German and Spanish airborne troops have been dropped between Carlisle and Lancaster, effectively cutting off my northern forces from the main force to the south. Can’t stop these moves without more fighters.

Turn 18 –

This is probably sour grapes at this point but it doesn’t help play balance when the Euros get several stacks worth of Italian troops in the middle of the scenario. I get a handful of reinforcements this turn but they are outnumbered by the Italians that JLB railed into Yorkshire this turn. Roughly forty bright green Italian units will join the battle tomorrow after disembarking.

Most of Wales has been “liberated†at this point. I have a handful of units loitering around the far northwestern corner of the country but they won’t prevent the capture of Holyhead. The 3rd Brigade of the 3rd US Infantry Division arrives in Liverpool this turn and they are moved forward to protect the Dee River near Chester.

My troubles get worse in the northern part of the map. Spanish units have advanced north of Carlisle toward the Scottish border where I have placed a couple of infantry battalions from the 51st Scottish Brigade. The Italians are railed along M1 into the north and I try hitting them with my attack helicopters. I do get some decent results because of stacking penalties but losses to enemy fighters are very high.

Turn 19 –

The Italians waste no time in making their presence felt on the battlefield. Their armor moves up along the Tyne River, replacing the Spanish units that had been here. Even worse, two brigades of Italian paratroopers are dropped in Scotland, effectively ending the match for me.

In the South, I continue to try to delay JLB’s capture of the 90-point objective at Holyhead while preventing any penetrations into the Liverpool area. Wrexham is lost this turn and Chester is barely holding on. Another fresh stack of French units has railed into Shrewsbury, great.

I get a couple of brigades of reinforcements this turn and decide to use them to attack the Euro flank around Lancaster. There doesn’t seem much hope in the move but if I can reconnect the two halves of my forces, then maybe I can hold out a little longer.

The Italian paratroopers have landed well behind my lines in Scotland and I have no choice but to retreat before my supply is cut off. The Italians took Berwick-upon-Tweed, Selkirk, and some locations in the mountains south of Edinburgh. I abandon the Newcastle front and move back almost every unit I have to Scotland. A counterattack takes Berwick but Selkirk still remains under Italian control.

Lastly, the air war is still way in the favor of the Euros, with an air superiority ratio of 75-2. Even worse, the Greek Air Force arrives this turn. I am just about out of air reinforcements and must rely on the units that reconstitute for help.

Turn 20 –

Word comes this turn that US production of war equipment has increased by 50%. Too little, too late it seems. The Euros also get more reinforcements this turn, with Portuguese units arriving. This scenario is a bit flawed if the expectation is that the Coalition forces only have to stop the initial attack before counterattacking. The Euros will probably have the momentum through turn 30 at least before things change. They just get a lot of reinforcements between turns 10 and 20 that weren't expected.

The French in Wales press forward this turn and downgrade many of the units defending along the Dee River. My defenders to the east along the Mersey River are also hit hard and it looks grim here. I’d order a strategic withdraw but there is nowhere else to go at this point. Once my defense here is compromised, Liverpool and Manchester are finished.

My counterattack toward Lancaster with two fresh American mechanized brigades goes poorly. Air superiority is 61-0 in favor the Euros and they also have an 8% interdiction rate. I see little hope of this working out.

I continue to retreat into Scotland in the north. If I can manage to construct a defensive line between Solway Fifth and Edinburgh, JLB will be checked – at least until he does his next air drop behind my lines.

Last edited:

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The End Has Arrived

Turn 21 -

JLB triggered the fall of Manchester on the previous turn without actually taking the city. Oh well, there is no reason to drag this out at this point. It was going to happen in the next several turns anyway plus Scotland is already lost. Let's just finish the scenario.

Due to the fall of Manchester, my forces across the front suffer a 80% shock penalty. This allows the Euros to make several devastating attacks against my remaining forces. French alpine troops make it all the way to RAF Valley in western Wales, endangering the port of Holyhead. Toward the east, German mechanized battalions have surged past Chester and reached the Mersey River. Manchester itself is actually taken too.

Things are even worse in Scotland. Most of my units are now trapped and there is little hope for escape. JLB has done another airmobile drop and has Glasgow cut off from supply. Edinburgh won't last more than three or four more turns.

Turn 22 -

Ouch. This turn is yet another disaster. Holyhead, Blackburn, Glasgow, and Sterling are lost. Edinburgh is surrounded and will be captured on the next turn.

Turn 23 -

The scenario is over as too many major cities have been lost and the automatic victory for the Euros has been trigged.

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overview

Overview

Important Events

Turn 01 - EU begins surprise attack on the UK!
Turn 02 - Norway allows USAF to use their airfields.
Turn 04 - Canada votes to send troops to the UK.
Turn 04 - Quebec province rebels against the Canadian central government.
Turn 08 - Canada puts Quebec under martial law.
Turn 10 - Coalition naval forces defeat the Euro Navy in the North Atlantic.
Turn 10 - EU agents find documents in the UK showing that the Coalition planned to invade France.
Turn 11 - Canada and Quebec agree to a ceasefire.
Turn 13 - US fighters in Norway shoot down some Swedish and Danish aircraft that were approaching Norwegian airfields.
Turn 14 - Denmark, Sweden, and Finland declare war on Norway.
Turn 14 - Canada announces that troops will be sent to Scotland in ten days.
Turn 15 - Greece, Italy, and Portugal join the EU war on the UK.
Turn 21 - UK Prime Minster resigns with the loss of Manchester.
Turn 21 - Parliment announces they are seeking a cease fire with the EU.
Turn 23 - The UK surrenders to the EU!

Major Cities Lost

Turn 01 - Brighton, Kingston on Hull, Portsmouth, Southampton
Turn 02 - London
Turn 03 - Newcastle
Turn 04 - Leeds
Turn 05 - Bristol
Turn 09 - Plymouth
Turn 10 - Birmingham
Turn 14 - Cardiff
Turn 20 - Lancaster, Manchester
Turn 22 - Glasgow, Holyhead, Sterling

Victory Situation

Victory Level

Turn 01 - +807 (OV)
Turn 05 - +427 (SV)
Turn 10 - +292 (MV)
Turn 15 - +231 (MV)
Turn 20 - +066 (DR)
Turn 22 - -378 (MD)

Loss Penalty (Coalition/Euro)

Turn 01 - 017-024
Turn 05 - 056-023
Turn 10 - 134-066
Turn 15 - 170-081
Turn 20 - 204-130
Turn 22 - 269-151

Supply & Replacement Situation

Supply Stockpile

Turn 01 - 45
Turn 05 - 35
Turn 10 - 33
Turn 15 - 32
Turn 20 - 37
Turn 22 - 31

Replacement Rate

Turn 01 - 100%
Turn 05 - 100%
Turn 10 - 100%
Turn 15 - 100%
Turn 20 - 150%
Turn 22 - 050%

Assualt AT+ Squad (On Hand/Assigned)

Turn 01 - 308/1888
Turn 05 - 040/1731
Turn 10 - 013/1245
Turn 15 - 022/0936
Turn 20 - 020/0938
Turn 22 - 076/0517

M1A2 (On Hand/Assigned)

Turn 01 - 100/719
Turn 05 - 114/695
Turn 10 - 022/717
Turn 15 - 033/695
Turn 20 - 022/709
Turn 22 - 041/407

F-16 Falcon (late) (On Hand/Assigned)

Turn 01 - 67/043
Turn 05 - 63/142
Turn 10 - 07/039
Turn 15 - 11/076
Turn 20 - 19/056
Turn 22 - 28/048

Air Situation

Air Superiority Stength (Coalition/Euro)

Turn 01 - 13-55
Turn 05 - 06-83
Turn 10 - 19-46
Turn 15 - 27-52
Turn 20 - 00-61
Turn 22 - 00-75

Interdiction Level (Coalition/Euro)

Turn 01 - 4%-7%
Turn 05 - 0%-1%
Turn 10 - 0%-6%
Turn 15 - 0%-7%
Turn 20 - 0%-8%
Turn 22 - 0%-3%

Last edited:

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Post Scenario Changes

Overall this was a good scenario to play and JLB taught me a few things about air mobile operations. However, JLB is planning a few changes based on this playtest. He will add a few more brigades to the Coalition side to give them greater ground strength in the middle of the scenario. In addition, the JMS modern exe will be used in future matches so the various types of surface-to-air missiles included in the scenario work correctly.

Last edited:

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bump. Old AAR of Lion de Mer 2004. There are some text errors in some of the reports. Don't know what happened there.