Online VASL teacher wanted

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
I've got that version, too. It seemed to work for other people. Perhaps you should try again? Or try my turn 1 log in stead.

Cheers,
Allard :salute:
I will try load the turn #1 saved game file when I get home...

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some comments on turn 1:

Setup:

Your mortars and HMG/MMG should start the mission dismantled.

ATR's should generally be given to the SW teams (1FP crews), since only they can fire it without penalty. (S17.141)

L10 and M10 should be checked for long-range activation (S5.32) on your move to H1.

There is an additional -1 on the activation at D6, for having a unit within 2 hexes, because of the just-activated unit at E6.

For every ENEMY squad generated, there should be a DR on L2 to determine its quality (Elite / 1st / Green).

You need to check for panic before your firing in the ENEMY's DFPh.

Last edited:

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some comments on turn 1:
Actually, I may be wrong on this one. Can't seem to find the rules reference, except that ENEMY units SW's are dm when they are in advance attitude.

AlkoNL

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Some comments on turn 1:

Setup:

ATR's should generally be given to the SW teams (1FP crews), since only they can fire it without penalty. (S17.141)

L10 and M10 should be checked for long-range activation (S5.32) on your move to H1.

There is an additional -1 on the activation at D6, for having a unit within 2 hexes, because of the just-activated unit at E6.

For every ENEMY squad generated, there should be a DR on L2 to determine its quality (Elite / 1st / Green).

You need to check for panic before your firing in the ENEMY's DFPh.

This is very helpful! Thanks a lot!! :halo:
Two questions though.
1. Why do the HMG/MMG and mortars start dismantled?
2. I thought that when the first SQ is 1st line, the rest should also be 1st line. Isn't that the case?

Cheers,

Last edited:

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is very helpful! Thanks a lot!! :halo:
Two questions though.
1. Why do the HMG/MMG and mortars start dismantled?
I was confusing ENEMY and player here. ENEMY in advance attitude will always get dm SW's when activated. That's not relevant for this mission, though, unless you get a random-event.

2. I thought that when the first SQ is 1st line, the rest should also be 1st line. Isn't that the case?
No, each one can be different. See the S5.752 example. The exception is S12.22 special forces integrity, but that is not applicable for this ENEMY type.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just working through your log now....

Small thing. You rolled 2 command rolls near the beginning. The first one was OK, but the 2nd one was far away from the action.

It's a detail...but you only roll your Command checks right before resolving any actions for the unit. You should not know that Altenau is in command before you try to make the first action on that side of the board.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Next.....when your half squad was moving and you got hit with a K/2 on the defensive fire.

You should not have rolled long range activation after the K/2.

Once a result has been obtained and a unit is broken or eliminated. You stop doing activation checks.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another detail....

When you make a command check with the leader in the PFPh and then move the leader later on in the MPh, the In Command marker stays in the original hex and only other units within 2 hexes of the marker are in command.

This means that you can't move your leader towards units that are farther away to bring them into command.

Otherwise it looks like you have good enough a handle on the mechanics to have a good time with SASL.

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Next.....when your half squad was moving and you got hit with a K/2 on the defensive fire.

You should not have rolled long range activation after the K/2.

Once a result has been obtained and a unit is broken or eliminated. You stop doing activation checks.
Also, each moving unit/stack needs only ONE long-range activation DR per Mph. The closest eligible S? is the one that activates. Use random-selection to choose among equidistant eligible S? when long-range activation occurs.

AlkoNL

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Also, each moving unit/stack needs only ONE long-range activation DR per Mph. The closest eligible S? is the one that activates. Use random-selection to choose among equidistant eligible S? when long-range activation occurs.
Oke - I read this as checking until a S? activates and then stop checking because only one S? gets activated.

Thanks all for taking time to check and respond! :D

Cheers,

AlkoNL

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
A few good men

Hey all,

For those interested I will post my ongoing battle in the Dutch countryside. Remarks, tips and comments (and what else) are welcome.

Cheers,

p.s. As you can see I couldn't help myself and did turn 3 and 4 already!

cnwjr

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Country
llUnited States
I'm a bit late in looking this over, but for the setup, it appears that A4 should also have a S? counter.

I also think the leaders were created incorrectly. S18.3 refers you to the table in 17.81 to create your starting leaders, not the G3 leader table which it appears you used.

cnwjr

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Country
llUnited States
turn 1 review

As I continue to look this over, I noticed that the first activation attempt on turn 1 was when the half squad entered H1. As it was bypassing H0 on the H0/I1 side, it was visible in H0 and the rolls should have happened there first. (Allied activation range = 10 with -2 DRM.)

After the pin result on the HS, should the other units have been checked for activation? The DRM for FFNAM/FFMO no longer applies to a pinned unit (7.83).

The units moving in Y1 should only have a net +1 DRM (-1 FFNAM, +2 Orchard) FFMO negated by orchard (4.6). Thus, no activation roll for AA4.

The crews with the mortars that advanced should now be CX. (4.72)

Allied Prep Fire. I didn't see a roll on A3a to determine targets for AA4.

The HS in E6 cowers, but why did the attack go from 1 straight to 1+1? (Resolved as 5 on 1 column with a DR of 2,2.) The attack result should automatically be no effect as one column lower than 1 is off the charts. (7.9)

The units in B6 only needed to roll for panic as they have an automatic action (S6.312), but still needs to check A3a for which target.

Defensive fire. CMD DR needed before firing units.

The squad in AA4 should not have ELRed while broken (19.13).

cnwjr

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Country
llUnited States
turn 2 review

Continuing on...

As already mentioned, roll CMD checks only as needed, not all at once. Also, as mentioned, only one long range activation check per moving unit (not each S? and not each hex).

The activation range for Allied Minor ENEMY S? is 10 for DRM -2. Thus, the S? in L10 & M10 should have checked for normal activation when the crew entered H2. Long Range activation would be from 11-16 hexes in these conditions.

BB5 activated, but the drm should have been -2 (-1 [adjacent to VPO] + -1 [already activated ENEMY unit wihin two hexes] = -2).

BB5 fire should be 4+0, not 4-1. FFMO negated by orchards. Also, no SFF as only 1 MF expended in hex (8.14).

Allied Rally Phase: The German missed self-rally for his leader (and possibly squad).

Prep Fire: The mine attack should have been the first action from the RE. You caught it later...

The units in BB5 should only have checked for panic as they had an automatic action (S6.313) and should not have entrenched.

Same for the units in L10.

Still need to check Table A3a for targets.

Remember also that enemy leaders have special automatic actions they will take. (S6.317-.3175).

DFPh: Only one pin check (the leader) was done in each of BB5 and BB4.

The fire group firing at DD4 does not get the leader benefit as the leader is only in one hex (7.531).

Last edited:

cnwjr

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Country
llUnited States
turn 3 review

Continuing on...

Movement of crew from J0 to J1 is not am as it takes all its MF... those mortars are -heavy-.

Movement of squad into G2 would trigger LR activation in M10.

Movement of crew into H4 would trigger N10 as well as M10.

The crew in J3 would have been in command with a DR of 8 (S16.2).

The 8-0 leader Drescher would have been in command with a DR of 10 (S16.2, A2.52).

DFPh. Still need to check table A3a for targets (S8.62).

RtPh: The broken 8-0 leader in DD4 would have had to rout.

Allied RPh. Leader in DD4 needed 3 to rally (8 morale - 4 [DM] -1 [Self Rally]. This is true in DD4 but not where it should have ended up as it would then have had the +1 for rally terrain.

PFPh: BB4:1 and BB5 have mandatory actions and only need to roll to check for panic (S6.313).

BB5 should have fired at AA4. DR 8 = Most targets within normal range.

Should place Labor (-1) counter on HS in M10.