Old time Nap rules querry about Empire 2n or 3rd editons

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have read of several grouos that still use them.Can't remember where they were, but was reading a few gaming mags that are a only a couple years old and there were numerous mentions of using these rules.I think though for a lot of folks the move has been to faster playing rulesets that allow for the "feel" of Napoleonic warfare.One gentleman mentioned that he was trying to figure out the effects of a bombardment and after a half hour of calculating and coming up with 3 different results in 3 tries he "surrendered".A lot is going to depend on what you want out of your gaming experience.Do you want a "Historical Simulation", a quick playing game with the feel of Napoleonic warfare(or at least and individuals opinion of such), or do you just want to play and have a fun game.Not that these 3 are absolutely independant of each other,my opinion is that there are many combinations of any two of these attributes in many rules sets, especially the more modern sets.I played all 3 "Empire" sets, and while they are not my cup of tea,they do tend toward historical acuracy.I have played about 25 sets and written 2 sets myself.I just don't seem to get satisfaction from any commercial set,though I have played Sam Mustafa's Grande Armee more than any other commercial set.The new version of Shako has become a pretty widely used set also.Sorry to ramble.