Newbie and OBA

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi,

I am playing "The Hedgehog of Piepsk" my first scenario with OBA. The rules looked pretty difficult but the OBA flowchart really cleared things up.

Quick question though, if I set up a SR in the prep fire phase can I convert it to a FFE:1 in the DFPh?

It seems from the flowchart that once the SR is placed you can convert to a FFE:1 - FFE:2 - FFE-C every subsequent Prep and DF Phase.

Would this be correct?

Thanks

Alex

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
acolic said:
Quick question though, if I set up a SR in the prep fire phase can I convert it to a FFE:1 in the DFPh?
Assuming you maintained Radio Contact, then yes.

acolic said:
It seems from the flowchart that once the SR is placed you can convert to a FFE:1 - FFE:2 - FFE-C every subsequent Prep and DF Phase.

Would this be correct?
Yes.

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the info.

I just have to clear something up. This is the order of OBA

1: get radio contact and battery access. Place AR and SR
2: maintain radio contact and battery access. convert SR to FFE:1 replace with FFE:2
3. maintain radio contact and battery access. Resolve FFE:2 and replace with FFE:C
4: maintain radio contact and battery access. Convert FFE:C to FFE1. Resolve FFE:1 and replace with FFE:2

Once you have a FFE:C counter every prep or df phase you can convert it to a FFE:1 counter.

Thanks

Alex

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"Once you have a FFE:C counter every prep or df phase you can convert it to a FFE:1 counter."

Remember to draw a new battery access chit after each FFE:C, if black you may continue the mission, if red you lose access and the FFE:C is removed.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Also note that if you want to convert a FFE:C directly to a new FFE:1, you cannot move the FFE counter to a new hex.

You may correct an SR and covert it to a FFE:1, or correct a FFE:2 before flipping it to a FFE:C, but when the FFE:C is finished, you must place a new SR (and not convert it to a FFE:1 that turn) if you want it moved.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Ole Boe said:
Also note that if you want to convert a FFE:C directly to a new FFE:1, you cannot move the FFE counter to a new hex.

You may correct an SR and covert it to a FFE:1, or correct a FFE:2 before flipping it to a FFE:C, but when the FFE:C is finished, you must place a new SR (and not convert it to a FFE:1 that turn) if you want it moved.
This is a biggie...and as I recall, was not immediately obvious (or was easily mis-read) from the OBA flowchart. I seem to remember having to dig down into the fine print of the chart notes to actually determine that you couldn't move and convert an FFE C to an FFE 1 in the same fire phase.

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok, last question.

During my df phase I converted a SR to a FFE:1 and hit a en stack on the 16 IFT (80mm Mortar). What about residual? If enemy troops move through the FFE:2 area during their movement phase do they get hit with a 8 IFT attack?

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
There's no residual, since the FFE is not placed during the MPh. But when units enters a hex within the blast area, or becomes more vulnerable while in such a hex, they immediately undergoes a full attack.

So if units move into the blast area during their MPh, they will be attacked by full 16 FP, and with TEM and FFMO/FFNAM as applicable. A unit may go down a level (in a building) without being attacked, but if it goes up it gets more vulnerable, and will be attacked.

Note that those attacks are performed not only during the MPh, but also during the RtPh, AFPh and even CCPh (if anyone withdraws into a blast area hex).

This is all found in C1.51.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's no "Residual" per se, but the 7-hex blast zone of the FFE is still "active"; that is, any time a unit moves or Routs throught it they get hit with 16FP.