New John Tiller Software Game: Campaign Leipzig

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Well, is not Peninsular but is a great title, at least has prusians and some sweenden blondes, sure russians like them :D

PD: i like the new portraits work, is very good like the one in Kharkov 43 the only that i dont Volcanomanize.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
[

OMG - Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. !
That definitely has come out of left field and I am very pleased, as it is my own personal drool- game , campaign favourite. Wow ! ...............Cannot wait to get my fangs into it......what a surprise...........brilliant....what more can I say.:joy:

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Nice, they change 3D units and now looks very close to LeeScoot and Erzax mods fine.

Now only need do a copy paste to use OTAN symbols mod used on Volcanoman ones hehehe ooo and use terrain mod from Erzax mods.

Lannes congratulations, you have a pretty boy i need wait a little more to see my little and pretty ulcera hehehe.

Nikel

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Being a french side fan in the Napoleonic Wars, always considered Leipzig 1813 as decadent :D

But looking at the link you just posted above, must admit that Leipzig looks like a gorgeous campaign now.

Congratulations to you and the rest of the team! :)

Just a question why this release before the spring campaign of 1813?

There are some amazing quality maps of the battles of this campaign that can be posted if somebody is interested.

Also in the public domain and listed in the bibliography

Maude

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924024321782

Petre

http://www.archive.org/details/napoleonslastca00petrgoog

Last edited:

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now to the question:

"Just a question why this release before the spring campaign of 1813?"

Because first, the Spring Campaign of 1813 does not have enough materials yet to stand on its own. It is a future title and will include more than likely these extras:

1. Russo-Swedish War of 1808-09
2. Hypothetical 1812 Campaign in Germany.
3. others as I give them some thought.

As you will tell by reading through the icons bonus files you will note that icons for 1814 are included. I am hard at work on the 1814 game and it should be ready in a matter of some months. The graphics work is done and its just up to me as to when it will be finished. And no, this 1814 game will not include anything in the southwestern portion of France. It will include not only the main theater but also Lyon and N.Italy.

I had to keep the Kingdom of Naples icons to a minimum and Murat's full order of battle is NOT included for financial reasons. I am sure that some enterprising mod-ster will put together the missing icons. No doubt about that.

The game has a whopping 290+ icons. I added in more Prussians at the expense of the Neapolitan troops. Unit icons for v.Lutzow's Freicorps, v.Hellwig's Freicorps and the various Frewilige Jager (infantry AND cavalry) are included. You will not find Frewilige Jagers for some of the Prussian landwehr cavalry. Oh well. Cannot include it all. The artwork time was over nine months on this project. Only REN had more icons to my knowledge on one of our titles. (if I missed one that had more my bad)

Now we are not in a habit of announcing new title names or when they will be ready. I have listed 1814 here and ask that you do not annoy Rich Hamilton or John Tiller with pestering questions about when this game will be ready. As my mom used to say about dinner, "When it is ready!"

I have done a good deal of work on the game but the OBs for that campaign are a royal pain in the neck. I am going to put together a PDF file that will go in the game that will show the transfer of divisions during the campaign. It was truly amazing at how "ad hoc" the French army was in 1814.

Enjoy Campaign Leipzig. As I brought up during the poll on 1813 it simply is impossible to put the entire campaign into one title. Either we do another game on the Spring Campaign (plus extra items listed below) or I will just have to move on to do other work. Just too much time and effort goes into one of these games for me to "dump it all into one product."

(hint: find me a board game that includes over 20 battles in its box ...")

Last edited:

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I am going to have copies of the Maude maps posted (will check out the Petre ones). Although I wasn't aware of the scope of the title, so I will find a more general area for the Spring campaign's maps. They also have a nice write up on day one at Leipzig in 3 articles at Wargame's Illustrated ( a 6mm replay ) .

http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/Default.aspx?tabid=297&art_id=2012

http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/Default.aspx?tabid=297&art_id=1945

This got me interested in working with 6mm.

-Largest battle in Europe before World War I.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also: the game comes with a nice small and large planning map for the Halle-Leipzig map. One opens quickly and is meant for overall reference.

The map is 724 x 457 hexes in size.

Compass Rose

Reaction score
I agree, it looks like a very good title that includes some really good art work, bonus documents and game aids, which should be very popular with game owners.

Nikel

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Because first, the Spring Campaign of 1813 does not have enough materials yet to stand on its own. It is a future title and will include more than likely these extras:

1. Russo-Swedish War of 1808-09
2. Hypothetical 1812 Campaign in Germany.
3. others as I give them some thought.
Thanks for a so detailed answer! :)

If you need more extra material, consider the battle of Raszyn in 1809, polish vs austrians.

As you will tell by reading through the icons bonus files you will note that icons for 1814 are included. I am hard at work on the 1814 game and it should be ready in a matter of some months. The graphics work is done and its just up to me as to when it will be finished. And no, this 1814 game will not include anything in the southwestern portion of France. It will include not only the main theater but also Lyon and N.Italy.
Yes, SW France is part on the peninsular theater, that who knows when will come :crosseye:

I had to keep the Kingdom of Naples icons to a minimum and Murat's full order of battle is NOT included for financial reasons. I am sure that some enterprising mod-ster will put together the missing icons. No doubt about that.
Pity exjax left the building, hope he could come back after this new release, though the new stock unit graphics looks really nice :yummy:

Now we are not in a habit of announcing new title names or when they will be ready. I have listed 1814 here and ask that you do not annoy Rich Hamilton or John Tiller with pestering questions about when this game will be ready. As my mom used to say about dinner, "When it is ready!"
I promise that will only ask Rahamy regarding 1807 and Peninsular campaigns :D ;)

Enjoy Campaign Leipzig. As I brought up during the poll on 1813 it simply is impossible to put the entire campaign into one title. Either we do another game on the Spring Campaign (plus extra items listed below) or I will just have to move on to do other work. Just too much time and effort goes into one of these games for me to "dump it all into one product."
Good to know that developing these niche games (compared with blockbuster) is enough to make a living :)

(hint: find me a board game that includes over 20 battles in its box ...")
Is that a quiz? ;)

The cover is based in an excellent portrait of a defeated Napoleon by Delaroche, created an icon extracted from the original portrait, just in case is interesting. The background is transparent, not blue.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5YSDOWV6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I think that getting the " beast " out of the way is a good idea.....because that means it has been realised ....as SGT Rock has said , " What boardgame can you get 20 battles included in. Well there was OSG's " Struggle of Nations but that was at Divisional and brigade scale. Never thought I would see Leipzig in it's entirety at Battalion level. OH ! , and did I see a reference to " Company Level Format ".... Drooooool ! and better unit pictures in lighter tones etc etc.........and the template for the 1814 Campaign is also done............and could be ready in months...........I am starting to think that Peninsular can definitely wait......Do not worry , Nikel....Peninsular is on it's way and it will be better with more detail and enhancement which will make it well worth the wait...........................................have to admit ....well worth waiting for. As Xaver said, you get to fight against Austrians , Prussians, Russians etc, that is if they stand and fight honourably and not use dirty avoidance tactics. Maude seems to be the popular choice..........sorely wish I had not dumped 6 green booklets on the Campaign. Wonder if there is a allegiance change for Bernadotte scenario. ??? Surprises are better when they are just that.................................definitely like the game presentation......you can make no mistake about what it contains, which is good........

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I promise that will only ask Rahamy regarding 1807 and Peninsular campaigns :D ;)

Good to know that developing these niche games (compared with blockbuster) is enough to make a living :)
You'll see more content in 2012...that's all I will say for now though.

And, its not enough, not even close...that's why it takes so long to complete games...we all have to find other ways to earn a living, and work this in as a hobby. Not even JT makes his living off commercial sales. :-(

Nikel

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
You'll see more content in 2012...that's all I will say for now though.
Before Christmas I guess, JTS scenario designers probably fight themselves for this opportunity. Well, if Leipzig is JTS Christmas release ;)

And, its not enough, not even close...that's why it takes so long to complete games...we all have to find other ways to earn a living, and work this in as a hobby. Not even JT makes his living off commercial sales. :-(
Yes, I knew it was not enough for for JT and you, sorry it is what I understood from BP, though perhaps he is more frugal :)

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Good to know that developing these niche games (compared with blockbuster) is enough to make a living"

No, as Rich Berg once said about designing wargames, "Don't quit your day job!"

None of us that works for John does this solely as their only source of income.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Remember playing this one by OSG, large map and pretty to look at but crude battle results. Waited a long time for something more detailed.......oh to have lazy teenage summer holidays with nothing else to do..........:cry:

Last edited:

Nikel

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Regarding the engine, why the magnified 2D view released in PzC updates was not included in Leipzig?

Also F8, fast AI resolution works, but is still not present in the menu and undocumented in the pdf files ;)

Last edited:

AlAmos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Different game engines, so what shows up in the PZC engine doesn't automatically show up in the others. Some items do, though.

Nikel

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thanks :), it is just that remember to have read somebody asking it and rahamy answering that the fast AI had been there for sometime, but the option is absent in the menu and in the pdf, the contrary than PzC. F8 shortcut works perfectly nevertheless.

And the magnification? Yes, I know that PzC is a different engine but this is not a WW2 feature, just to allow players a closer view, so why not in the Napoleonic games? :)