New AAR Posted!

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can read the AAR here: http://www.warfarehq.com/index.php?page=after_action_reports/pzc_mod_campaigns/yelnya_aar.shtml

Yelnya Desolate Dump on the Desna! A Smolensk '41 scenario!

The screen shots are a bit heavy if you have dial up. I will attempt to optimize the further for quicker viewing but I have run out of time tonight.

Enjoy! Your feedback is always welcome. I am particularly interested in hearing how the scenario went from other players that have played it.

Last edited:

Cougar_DK

Former POA2 Thread Keeper
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Great AAR, I guess it shows why Smolensk '41 is so popular. There is room for manuver, i.e. no battle lines with a lot of units starting right next to each other. And besides that, not many units to move per turn.

Last edited:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Optimization Complete!

The article is now much friendlier for Dial Up users!
Thanks Cougar :D

Last edited:

printshop

Reaction score
Country
llEgypt
Optional rules

Nice AAR. It takes some committment to write one of those up. I do have a question. Why did you use the optional alternate fire rules? I have rarely, if ever, used them & can say the same for my PBEM opponents. Just curious.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why Alternate Fire Rules Were Used...

It is kind of arbitrary actually. I almost always use them. The reason I suppose is that the description of the rule indicates that fatigue and losses can be taken from multiple units in a hex...at least that is how I understand it and that just sounded more realistic. So far I enjoy playing with them on and have not really played a whole lot with them off.

Now the Optional Fire & Assault rules, the ones that take the average of 2 die rolls so as to homogenize the results a bit I do not use. I think that in life & warfare flukey results really to crop up and upset the balance of power, and I like to have that kind of 'randomness' in the game. You never know when someone is going to be a hero...or when a seasoned company is going to reach their breaking point! :D

I am a relative newcomer to the PzC series so I am still experimenting with the Optional Rules. I am not 100% certain how they all affect actual game play yet.

Last edited:

printshop

Reaction score
Country
llEgypt
I guess it's what you're used to

I have read from some of the designers that the scenarios are tested using the default rules which, in the case of your AAR game, the default rules are "no optional rules checked". In any event, I am now playing the same scenario you did but with the Germans as the AI. I am using the same optional rules as you used with the exception of the alternatire fire resolution rules. I'll post my AAR when I'm done.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey NORAD - how would a regular old user submit AARs? I imagine it might be old hat for the Warfare HQ guys - but -well anyway - am going to work on playing one out and getting into one of these games soon

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are Several Ways/Formats to Submit Articles

You can do one right in the AAR forum the way airBiscuit is doing here: http://www.war-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=185695#post185695

With attached pics and everything.
You can submit AAR's or other article as a Web Page if you have web skills (but if you do this keep our dial up users in mind).

You can submit Word Docs, or PDF articles either directly to the Combat Mission Misc. section in the Scenario Archive. Here: http://www.warfarehq.com/archives/forumdisplay.php?f=27
and then post a link to it in the forum. Or you can email the article to the Section Leader. I realize that is not yet possible for PzC...so contact me for now.

Can't wait to read about your battle! :smoke:

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My belated endorsement too on the AAR - thanks - looks good!

If I had one thing I would ask you to do it would be to use ALT LABEL style when you show map lables in any screen captures as they make the game look a lot less ...well, blocky. I wish this setting was a default in fact.

Glenn

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blocky Labels...

Sorry I did not even know this was an option. The only times I ever noticed the alternate style was in the games I do not own.
LOL...

Well Yelnya only has one label at least! ;)

I will keep this in mind for the future!

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Good deal Norad - I know I had not replied to this in awhile - had not needed to as I was not in the position to play a game.

Decided to give Sicily's campaign game a whirl - but that might not work out so well - probably ought to shoot for something a little smaller for starters --- plan on doing one of these.

Steve