n00b to Warhammer 40k

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's okay, you can get close, but that's why I have beserkers, dreads, and a defiler...

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have watched a lot of games but have never played. I painted armies throughout college for a guy who loved Marines. I did a bunch of troops and vehicle. All the games I watched the marines were doing some serious damage. With my limited exposure to more races and looking at the posts here it sounds like there are different races fro different people.

Am I correct in this assumption?

What would be your advice into breaking into the game?

And the loaded question: What is the best army?

Thanks!

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Honestly I don't believe that any army list as a whole is significantly better than another. Now you can design a force that's better than another, but I don't think any army is inherently better.

Every race usually has a way to play ranged or close combat oriented battles, but some are inherently better than others. For example, you could technically make an Imperial Guard army centered on close up fighting, but you're gonna have a tough time winning (in my opinion). Just like you could make an all-ranged Ork army, but get used to missing a lot...

My suggestion for starting is to think about what your interests are, tanks, ranged combat, close combat, mobility, etc. Then come up with the army you want to play off of that...
...or just look at the different races and decide which one looks the coolest or has the coolest back story :D

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Overseer
Honestly I don't believe that any army list as a whole is significantly better than another. Now you can design a force that's better than another, but I don't think any army is inherently better.

Every race usually has a way to play ranged or close combat oriented battles, but some are inherently better than others. For example, you could technically make an Imperial Guard army centered on close up fighting, but you're gonna have a tough time winning (in my opinion). Just like you could make an all-ranged Ork army, but get used to missing a lot...

My suggestion for starting is to think about what your interests are, tanks, ranged combat, close combat, mobility, etc. Then come up with the army you want to play off of that...
...or just look at the different races and decide which one looks the coolest or has the coolest back story :D
Is it best to get an overview of the races and if I find one that I like pick up the codex?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Poke around on the Games-Workshop website, that should give you pretty sufficient information to make a decision (and let you look at the models... don't look at the prices though, it's going to hurt no matter what you do!)

Storm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seer, thanks for handling this thread in my absence. :p

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Storm
Seer, thanks for handling this thread in my absence. :p
Hey no worries, I've got you covered! :toast:

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Poke around on the Games-Workshop website, that should give you pretty sufficient information to make a decision (and let you look at the models... don't look at the prices though, it's going to hurt no matter what you do!)
I have bought stuff from Games Workshop in the past and yes the prices leave a mark that takes a while to heal. They are normally pretty good at discontinuing things before you get them all too if I remember correctly.

That's why I like eBay

MomoJak00

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have bought stuff from Games Workshop in the past and yes the prices leave a mark that takes a while to heal. They are normally pretty good at discontinuing things before you get them all too if I remember correctly.
The games-worksop website is acually CHEAPER than msot other outlets.
They are the only ones to sell codexes for $15 as aposed to the other prices ($17, $20, and even $25).

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for all the information. I will try to pick something up at Origins this weekend!

Storm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, check out Dawn of War.

40k RTS...looks nice...I'll be doing a newsletter soon (I Hope) about it and some new games for the sites I do the news for.

MomoJak00

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Storm
Hey guys, check out Dawn of War.

40k RTS...looks nice...I'll be doing a newsletter soon (I Hope) about it and some new games for the sites I do the news for.
IT
LOOKS
WONDERFUL!

Just read the CGW and PCG articles! They make it look amazing!

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by MomoJak00
IT
LOOKS
WONDERFUL!

Just read the CGW and PCG articles! They make it look amazing!
Do you think that game will maybe peak the interest of more people to get involved with Warhammer?

Storm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it'll do well, but whether PCers will go board is hard to say but I doubt it.

It does look damn good, however, there are NO SPACE WOLVES. :nonono:

:banana:

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the record Dawn of War looks incredible, and every report I've heard from people who have seen it at E3 say nothing but great things! (For example, Penny-Arcade had fantastic words to say about it).

MomoJak00

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the record Dawn of War looks incredible, and every report I've heard from people who have seen it at E3 say nothing but great things! (For example, Penny-Arcade had fantastic words to say about it).
Ditto, friend! Ditto! Have seen nothing bad about it.

And in terms of info on mechanics and graphics the game has so much potential that my skull is about ready to collapse!

...ok...
I'll calm down...

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally I think if I played it I would even more inclined to make the jump to the table top. I would agree that most PC gamers would never make the jump. From personal experience we PC gamers need the extra table top space for Mountain Dew and Red Bull…

MomoJak00

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RED BULL!!!
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!:horse::laugh::nuts::banana::scream::scream::shock: