My Greatest Wish

JohnS3

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played the Tiller - based games since way back in the Talonsoft Battleground days (mid 1990's). I have quite a few of the games, play for a few months, leave for something else, then regularly come back again.

Now that I am back for a while (playing Eylau this time), let me say that I love the Napoleonic and the Civil War games but....the one thing that has always chewed up time for me is bringing reinforcements down the road to the battlefront.

I know about the Alt/left click movement to move a group but God I wish there was a simple order by which you could tell the reinforcing division to "have everyone take the road until you come to this point, then stop and then I'll take over."

In so many of the games you bring on five units, then move them one at a time down the road (in order to get the road bonus and to avoid disruption if moving on the road thru woods), then when they are all lined up you use alt/left click and move them a few more hexes. Next turn you move the first five units as far as they go and then do the same thing for the newest arrivals. Then the next turn, same thing with even more....and the next turn even more etc. Bringing on an entire division (or worse, a corps) sucks up so much useless administrative time just getting them down the road that it can really take a lot of the fun out of major battles. I play head to head against myself and boy, whether you are talking Napoleonic or Civil War, getting reinforcements from both sides in and up to the field in many battles takes an awful lot of time each turn.

I am presuming there is no real solution to this but I thought I'd reach out in case some miracle cure has been developed that I am unaware of. Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I view moving units one by one as a good opportunity to get to know your army and it's components. If you listen to music in the background - it helps to distract you. Historically , there was a lot of marching involved - so in that respect - it is a good simulation. :) .