MwT09 - Lalande Leads

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Just a small tasterette of a little scenario from the Carpiquet design contest, played in a couple of hours on Friday night. The scenario is a 5 turner, played on half (the middle half) of board 17. The Germans get a bunch of HS, a MMG, some ?s and HIP, plus some Turn 2 reinforcements and have to stop the Canadians, entering from offboard from controlling 9 of 11 building hexes. The Canadians get a pile of squads and a Sherman so they should just steamroller over the Germans, right? But there's an interesting sniper mechanic here, their SAN is 7 and on a subsequent 3 there's an 80mm OBA attack on the sniper target and on a 4, a random HS is generated, so the Canadians have to be very careful what they fire at.

First DR of the game was a killer - rain started which makes it tougher on the Canucks, no smoke. The Canadians entered on the N edge with an annoyance HS on the W to taked the leftmost 2 building hexes and pretty much stumbled forwards on plan until Turn 3 when the tank broke its MA after having bracketed the MMG. By this time, 2 Canadian leaders had been generated and one squad had been reduced from elite to green but all was good. Then on Turn 4 a random HS was generated in one of the victory locations I was furthest from, plus the one building the reinforcements were sitting in, meaning that I needed everything else (all occupied) to win. Turn 5 dawned and I was adjacent to the victory buildings, all looking good and Steve got MCs on 3 squads. Morale checks were 7, 7, 7 and the sniper went off each time, with at least 2 1's, killing off my chances.

A tight little scenario, only one random HS and one OBA generated, BUT 5 or 6 1's just killed me. Fun, popcorn stuff, the kind of thing to set up when you only have an hour or two to play, but lots of nice little tactical decisions to make.