Multiple VASL/VASSAL configurations

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Has anybody gone to the trouble of having different VASSAL versions installed to allow older VASL modules to be run either for testing purposes or to accommodate players with older installs. This would be alongside the latest versions. Is it possible to have separate VASL configurations i.e separate extensions location and preferences? What about separate about separate setup for PBEM and direct online play?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Trivial to have multiple combinations.
I don't think you can have multiple sets of preferences unless you manage the preference files manually.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes for the development work I do I have currently 15 or so Vassal versions and about half a dozen VASL versions.

As far as I know they all use the same configuration file located in C:\users\yourusername\appdata\roaming folder (or thereabouts).

I guess that you could create multiple versions of the config file and swap them out.

Also, you might try opening Vassal only, not Vasl, and the checking the preferences to see if that lets you point to a different confit file. I don’t know; just a thought.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yep multiple configuration files is what I want. That one common file currently means I have to share an extensions folder which is mayhem when trying to get versions to play nice. I will look into what I can manage thanks.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've looked into this a little. I have run different VASSAL versions and used different VASL module versions. However, there is only one preference file for each module, which is used whichever VASSAL version you use, and whichever VASL (or other) module version you use. I've never found a way to change the preference file.

I was thinking about writing a Python program that would allow you to specify by directory which VASSAL version, which module version, which extensions, and which preference file to use. (It would accomplish the last by keeping copies of the preference files for each module, under different names, and copying the right one to the common file.) Users would have to change the program associated with .vlog and .vsav files to the Python program. Besides letting you play old modules, that might need old versions of VASSAL, it would also allow you to have different passwords. That way, if you're playing in an online tournament, you can reveal your password at the end to let your opponent/the referee check your HIP, and you wouldn't reveal any other passwords because the one you revealed would be unique to that game (actually, directory). Is there any interest in a program like this?

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think I can manage with a script that switches V_Global values for the module directory and also VASL values for extensionDIR and what the heck, also the SavedGameDir.

Of course if somebody wanted to package that up into a little graphical VASSAL configuration tool they might be performing a small miracle for the benefit of others who manage multiple preference combinations e.g PBEM and live VASL.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me investigate. The dog I'm fostering is being adopted today so I'll have plenty of free time before the next one.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My limited market research suggests that some people might also want to create a third configuration for Solitaire ASL.