MP Expenditure and Firing Options

PaulS

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
I have several questions that popped up while playing AP 94 Show of Force. On board 70 (sorry, no accompanying graphics): Opponent has a Tiger in bypass in D4 along the D4/E4 hexside. He starts up and Moves into E5.
Question 1: Is he moving over the E4/E5 hexside wall, thus setting up a possible underbelly shot from my revealed ART Gun in E7? If an underbelly shot is possible from a squad with an ATR in I6, would they be able to try a shot even though they wouldn't normally be able to since the Tiger armor is too thick?
Question 2: Whatever the amount of MP it takes to move into E5, my Gun in E7 will have the option of shooting as many times as the MP expended to get into that hex. He can't combine his MP with a Bounding Fire shot before I get these chances to fire? And when could he try a Gun Duel?
Question 3: On a subsequent turn I get lucky and Immobolize the Tiger in G7. The tank crew easily pass their Immob TC. Since the Tiger crew is still "moving" they would still have the option of Bounding First firing both their MA and MG. If correct, would they have to fire the weapons seperately and be expending a MP for each shot, thus allowing me defensive shots (even Gun Duel?) between his shots?
Lots of questions.
Paul S

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
To the best of my understanding:

Q1. The Tiger is not crossing the wall since the AFV is bypassing in D4 and would be crossing the D4-E5 hexside. It would therefore only be crossing the wall if that wall lay across the D4-E5 hexside (there have been Q&As confirming this) - in which case, the ART Gun could attempt an underbelly hit. Regarding the ATR, nothing stops a weapon from firing, even if it has no chance of penetrating the target's armor. Yet a Tiger's underbelly AF is just 4, so it can certainly be penetrated by an ATR. You do need LOS to one vertex of the crossed wall, however. And in your case, I don't see how an ATR in I6 could see the relevant wall vertex. Even if the wall really was across D4-E5, the vehicle is in bypass, so you would need to draw the LOS thread to the D4-E4-E5 vertex.

Q2. Since there's no wall, it will only take 1 MP for the AFV to enter E5. Once it reaches E5, the DEFENDER may declare a D1F shot and if he does so, the ATTACKER may return with a B1F shot (with Gun Duel). If, however the DEFENDER does not declare a D1F shot, the ATTACKER may still declare a B1F though the DEFENDER will have to await the result before firing on that MP.

On the other hand, the DEFENDER can fire as many times as MPs spent during each "MP expenditure," while the ATTACKER's vehicle can only Bounding Fire once per MP expenditure. So let's say E5 was Brush terrain, so the Tiger used 2MPs to enter the hex (or if it simply chose to expend 2MPs to enter into an OG hex: D2.18). In this case, the AFV cannot fire until the expenditure is complete (on the second MP). The DEFENDER, however, can make a D1F shot on the first MP without the option of a Gun Duel in the part of the ATTACKER. If it maintained ROF (or if it waits to fire), the situation and sequence on the second MP would be as per my previous paragraph.

Q3. I assume you are referring to the next, German MPh, since Bounding First Fire and Gun Duels can only take place during the MPh. Regardless of phase, you may always fire MA and MGs at the same time or during the same MP (unless restricted by some Vehicle Note, being HD in the case of a BMG, BU in the case of most AAMGs, or other specific cases...). The DEFENDER can only declare a Gun Duel in the rare instances when an AFV declares a shot prior to expending a MP (as per C5.33).

PaulS

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
Binchois,
Thanks for the detailed response and the graphics. As you can see I'm tech-challenged with this web site. I gave a wrong location for the squad with the ATR, that was actually in F5. I also should have clarified that they going for an immobilization attempt assuming there was a chance for an underbelly shot (there wasn't). The main question has been answered regarding the amount of times the defender can fire based on the total MP expended to move into a hex.
Paul S