Mons AAR Brammer vs Sands

Reiryc

Reaction score
AFTER ACTION REPORT
Scenario: Skirmish at Mons #008
French: James Brammer
Allies: Erine Sands

Starting comments French:

I have decided to advance directly on Mons with my infantry and try and get the infantry into the town so as to negate the massive amounts of allied cavalry. My approach will be to rapidly advance my cavalry to clear the woods of Bois de Mons and screen the arriving 5th Infantry Division. The Guards should be able to hold their own while advancing towards Mons. My only concern is the excessive amount of allied cavalry compared to the amount of cavalry that I have at my disposal.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn one.

My advance is very aggressive. I need to clear the Bois de Mons so that my cavalry can screen the advance of the 5th Infantry Division (which is a weaker division in the French Army). Also it would be nice to clear the woods so as to alleviate the bottle neck that the terrain causes. So far so good

Reiryc

Reaction score
French Turn Two:

I watched the Allied replay. Erine seems to have deployed all his cavalry into squadrons. This should be interesting. Personally I try and keep my units intact. Should be an interesting comparison of tactics. I advanced and charge one of the enemy squadrons inflicting 30 losses to my 5. My Guard units should be at the front next turn and if I can get them in line I should be able to do some damage to the allied player if he stands and fights. Next turn I hope to continuing my advance to clear the Bois de Mons so I can support the 5th infantry division.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French Turn Three

Big charges by the allied player with bigger losses by the allied player. My counter attacks did OK inflicting move losses on the allied player (30 for allied vr. 15 for the French). Even with the charges and counter charges my advance has been stopped dead. I do not think I will be able to support the arriving 5th infantry Division. The map create a natural bottleneck in this area of the battlefield.

Victory: French losses: 57 Cavalry
Allied losses 153 Cavalry
Draw 23 points

Reiryc

Reaction score
French Turn Four.

The allied player has decided to fight on the front near the Bois de Mons. The 5th Infantry Division is on its own. The number of cavalry charges by the allied player is just stunning. I can not believe that the allied player has that much cavalry available. I lost one leader that turn. A very even turn.

I expect some more allied cavalry attacks next turn. I gambled and advanced my artillery to the front line. This may be a mistake as I may loss one of my artillery units but I think it was worth the gamble. Time will tell.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French Turn 5

My worst fears have come true. I lost some of my artillery, 6 guns. But he is paying for it dearly. I wiped out all the squadrons that attack. The Guards did their jobs. Now I await the next wave of allied cavalry. I just can not believe the allied player can keep this up much longer.

It sure is interesting to see the different approaches with regards to the use of cavalry. Erine’s squadron approach verses my intact approach.

Victory:
French Losses: 106 infantry 278 cavalry 6 guns and 1 leader
Allied Losses: 915 Cavalry 2 leaders

112 points draw

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 6 (sorry no screen print this turn I forgot to make one)

The allied charges were not that good this turn. I think the pounding is starting to take its toll on the allied cavalry. During the turn I just consolidated my position. Hopefully some of my cavalry will undisrupted this turn. But with 14 turns to go there is no need to get in a hurry. I need to rest some to be able to last the game.

French turn 7

I continue to fire on the allied cavalry and I am stunned that they can take such a beating and keep on ticking.
With the 5th Division on the map and unsupported by any cavalry. I hope they do not pay the price when the allied player hits them with cavalry charges.
Next turn I will start my advance on Mons again.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French Turn 8

Time for the big push. A vary good turn. Lots of allied cavalry losses. The guard infantry is taking a good toll on the enemy cavalry.

The 5th Infantry Division ran into some allied cavalry. But, I was stunned that the 5th Infantry division did not get hit with massive cavalry charges during the allied turn 7. I think if they had been attacked they would have routed. Mainly because their morale is level C. Ernie may have made a mistake there.

French losses 113 infantry, 416 cavalry, 6 guns 1 leader
Allied losses 1582 Cavalry 3 leaders
245 French Minor Victory

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 9

I am advancing again on Mons. My cavalry found some allied cavalry hiding in the fields on my right flank. I figured Erine might be hiding some cavalry there so that he could hit my infantry in the rear. The last of my reinforcements have arrive, more cavalry. Boy will I need them.

I have also formed squares with the 5th infantry division to hopefully stop any allied cavalry charges there. But this will severely limit my ability to advance on Mons

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 10

Nothing to report for this turn. I am just trying to advance far enough to make good fields of fire for my artillery units when the allied infantry arrives. The 5th infantry division is slowly crawling towards Mons.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 11

A bunch of new allied cavalry has arrived which also means the allied infantry may not be that far behind. I am surprised by the unlimited amount (or so it seems) of allied cavalry. The last of my cavalry units is about to reach the front. I hope that will be enough to make a good stand.

I am consolidating my lines and trying to link up with the 5th Infantry Division. I am also getting my artillery in position to support the Guards infantry when the allied infantry makes its presents felt.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 12

It would seem that the allied infantry is about to appear in the game. Erine seems to be shifting all his cavalry to the east flank to attack my screening cavalry in the fields south east of Mons. I have linked up with the 5th Infantry division and the artillery is getting into position.

I am glad I was able to pull my cavalry from the front lines early in the game and replace them with the Guards infantry. That way I was able to rest them and get them in screening positions on my east flank. (north on the map is the top of the screen prints) Hopefully that will be enough to slow or stop the allied cavalry charges I expect on the east flank.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 13

OH NO, I now have allied cavalry behind my 5th Infantry division. I am not sure where they came form. I guess I will have to send some of my precious cavalry to contend with this situation. Now I will have to have squares all around the 5th Infantry division.

The 5th division is holding its own against the latest allied cavalry advances. This is a small surprise. But squares seem to be doing the trick.

I have advance my guard units as far as I dare. My artillery is about in position.

A pleasant surprise, more reinforcements (guess I should have checked the arriving drop down box) But these cavalry units are sorely needed

Score: 465 French major victory

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 14

There seems to be a good deal of allied cavalry wondering around in my rear area. This concerns me a bit.

My infantry continues to stand up to the constant charges of the allied cavalry. I hope to have a few surprises for my friendly opponent in the next few turns. I have my cavalry in position to make several counter attacks. The French artillery is still getting into position, this seems to be taking a long time.

Score:
French losses 276 infantry, 475 cavalry 6 guns 3 leaders
Allied losses 2950 cavalry, 4 leaders
546 French major victory.

There are 2 screen prints this turn.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 15

This is just a consolidation turn for the French . The British have broken off the attacks against the 5th Infantry Division. My squares have held up against the constant attacks. Bravo!!

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 16

My French counter attacks in the fields should results in some allied routs.

The allied cavalry on the west flank seems to be retreating towards Mons. I guess they have finally worn out from all the charges they have made.

I am still getting my artillery into position. This seems to be taking a very long time.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 17.

The allied infantry has finally arrived. Now the game should get interesting.

Amazing the allied cavalry attack again. I wonder if they will ever stop!! Even my guards are starting to get worn out. Some of them have fatigue of over 250. I am not sure how my guard units can continue to stand up against these attack with out routing.

My east flank (in the fields) is in a good position to with stand anything the allied player may throw at them.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 18

Everything is in position to withstand the final fury of the allied attack. The next few turns sure will be interesting.

Reiryc

Reaction score
French turn 19 (this screen print is from the allied player, I forgot to make one)

The French artillery is making its impact on the field. The allied infantry is taking a pounding from the artillery. But my guards are also taking a pounding.

I am not sure what is going to happened to the 5th infantry division. More cavalry charges or infantry attacks.

Reiryc

Reaction score
Final French turn (turn 20)

Everything is in place to withstand the last major attacks of the British player My artillery should be able to do some damage to the advancing allied infantry. The only mistake I see is the one unit of the 5th infantry division that I left in square formation.