Mission 2 for online teachers...

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The HS/SQ stuff in friendly turn looked okay. I usually use the IIFT when playing SASL, which simplifies the ENEMY attacks somewhat (you mostly firegroup everything since any +fp helps).

12U6: When there are no vpo locations, or all vpo locations are ENEMY controlled and you get a move order to move towards vpo, the closest friendly unit is considered a VPO for this move. (S9.25)

12P3 When the ENEMY unit assault-moves downstairs, the unit outside qualifies for PBF since it is now adjacent (even though not ADJACENT) and within one level. (A7.21), so it is actually 16+3. Doesn't help you when you roll 9's though :)

Last edited:

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's also a -1 drm for activation in stone building. The unit in 12U6 activated anyway, so it didn't matter for that turn.

AlkoNL

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
The HS/SQ stuff in friendly turn looked okay. I usually use the IIFT when playing SASL, which simplifies the ENEMY attacks somewhat (you mostly firegroup everything since any +fp helps).
What?! The I-IFT?! Do you want to start a flame topic?
But it sounds reasonable though...:cool:

12U6: When there are no vpo locations, or all vpo locations are ENEMY controlled and you get a move order to move towards vpo, the closest friendly unit is considered a VPO for this move. (S9.25)
New to me!

Cheers,
Allard :salute:

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What?! The I-IFT?! Do you want to start a flame topic?
But it sounds reasonable though...:cool:
Now that I think about it, is there still a mandatory FG for the two units against the dashing unit to 12N3? Even though one is first-fire and one is SFF? Well, it would have failed the NMC from 7 DR @ 2-2 anyway, so the result is the same.

AlkoNL

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Now that I think about it, is there still a mandatory FG for the two units against the dashing unit to 12N3? Even though one is first-fire and one is SFF? Well, it would have failed the NMC from 7 DR @ 2-2 anyway, so the result is the same.
I thought about that, but wasn't sure. Because of the different DF states they were in, I treated them separately, although it went against the mandatory FG.

Cheers,

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Friendly turn:

Units at 12T2 cannot rout towards KEU in P3, even though they are broken (A10.51). I think you have to choose between U2 (closest, but ignorable, can continue to V2) and T0.

Advance to 12AA4 activates the units in the depression at 12Y5. They have LOS out of the depression because it extends to 12Z4.

Enemy turn:

12V5 is within range of FRIENDLY units, the LMG squads, so take the assault-move action.

12U5 should actually advance upstairs to 12U5:1. Its gets 12R2 and 12Q3 as targets. Of the places it can get a target, the priority list is at S11.1 (#4 Highest building location).

Last edited:

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Friendly Turn:

Mission end dr should be taken at END of each player turn. That's once at end of friendly, and once at end of enemy turn.

The unit assault-moving 12V3 should get +2 TEM for the wall rather than taking +1 for the graveyard for the fire from 12U5:1. Same result though (still breaks on 1mc).

Bauer should actually check for panic before Drescher when he is in range / LOS, since he would automatically make Drescher in command when he passes.

The unit assault-moving to 12R3 should get +1 TEM for the hedge. This should result in a -1 total DRM for the shot and a K/1 rather than KIA result.

Unit in 12T7 should actually have activated earlier to the unit moving through 12S3 (+1 hedge, -1 ffnam). Higher survivability shot, but its later shot was ineffective anyway.

12T7 should SFF on 12U4 a couple of times. Board is getting cluttered :)

LMG advance to 12W4 should activate 12W6 (+2 @ 2)

ENEMY turn:

Check 12T3 and 12Q6 for panic before firing. Or Bauer would put them in command.

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Mission 2 - turn 10

Thanks again bos,
Here's my turn 10.
Looks pretty good, just one thing:

FRIENDLY turn DFPh: Don't forget that ENEMY panic check is based on doubles, not morale (12T7 and 12V6).

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, one other thing. On the ENEMY turn, one of the ENEMY leaders (probably 12W6?) should leave its MMC and advance in the direction of the brokies at 12T7. (S6.317).

cnwjr

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Country
llUnited States
Mission 2 - turns 4-10 review

Some very belated comments on Turns 4-10.

Minor helpful? VASL note. I notice you are using the left/right arrows to move counters up or down. The up/down arrows are shortcuts to move to top/bottom of the stack.

Also a brief comment on A.2... I personally do not go back and redo anything that would be in my favor, but will go back and redo something I missed if it is in the ENEMY's favor.

Turn 4 Axis MPh: V7 vs W9 SFF NA as closer units exist. If it were possible, the attack would be 2=, not 4=. (A8.3) Residual FP of the 4 FP attack made should have been halved to 2 and dropped to 1 for the orchard hindrance (A8.2, A8.23).

Continuing movement from W9 to V8, the first ENEMY unit to check fire is V7, not V6 (S8.613, S8.61, S5.2). Also, V6 SFF is not to nearest unit.

Allied PFPh: 12O4 should check EA before 35U6 (S6.1). Leader has automatic action, of course (S6.317).

35U6 and 35V7 have automatic actions (S6.311)... caught.
35U6 need not roll a fire command. S6.311, priority 6 dictates fire at T5... caught.

12O4: The leader should check for EA separately as it has an automatic action.

DFPH: The encirclement on V4 lowers the morale by 1 (A7.7), so that should have been a break, not a pin. This would have also led to it's elimination in the RtPh... caught next turn.

Turn 5 Allied MPh: Leader in 12O4 has automatic action (S6.3175) - move command 6 on A4b. Roll separately from MMC for panic.

MMC in 12O4 had move command 10, with no targets (see terms & definitions) as no units in LOS and range. Thus, move is: move full MF, RAS.

APh: MMC in 12P3 should advance up a level to gain LOS to a target in 12M1 (S11.1). Leader should stay put (S6.317-.3175)... partially caught in next turn.

Turn 6 Axis MPh: Possible LR Activation from 12V5:2 on movement to 35H4... caught.

Allied RPh: Forgot to check crew self-rally in 35V10.

APh: MMC in 12P3:1 should advance to 12P3:2 (S11.1).

Turn 7 Axis MPh: 12P3:2 sq didn't check for panic.

12P3:2 fire at dashing unit requires mandatory fire group (A7.55) after checking for HS panic. Once again, no 2nd fire at a unit that has only expended 1MF... (A8.3).

12M2 did not need to declare a dash as no ENEMY is in LOS of the hex dashed through. The dash benefits only apply in that hex, not the destination hex (A4.63).

The SFF from the HS should be 2+2 as the HS is adjacent & higher to get PBF (A7.21).

AC for 12U6 drm is 0 (+1 [village board] -1 [stone building] = 0).

CCPh: 35K3 in LOS of 12P3:2. No concealment gain.

Allied PFPh: Reminder that ENEMY leaders usually have separate automatic actions...

MPh: ENEMY leaders have separate automatic actions from the units they are stacked with.

12U6: See S9.25 for movement in missions without VPO.

12O3: Did you choose to only fire one of the squads in 12O3? They qualify for PBF (A7.21), so the DFF should be 16+3. Now that you can fire a valid SFF (8+3) at 12P3:1 you skip it? :)

CCPh: The Dutch player should declare who the leader is stacked with before declaring CC,

Turn 8 Axis RPh: Recover ATR in 12M3? (optional)... caught. ENEMY recovery of ATR in 12P3? (mandatory [S7.3])... caught.

PPh: 12P3 - leader ELRs as well.

MPh: Bauer's stack needed 3MF to enter 12Q2 unless bypass was used.

RtPh: 12T2 cannot rout closer to 12P3 (A10.51).

Units in 12P3:0 should rout upstairs, preferably to 12P3:2. They are no longer ADJACENT.

APh: Advance to 12AA4 activates units IN Y5 (B19.2).

Allied MPh:

12V5: Two things here. This command is poorly worded. If you read down, it becomes more clear that it is checking to see if you are in a FRIENDLY unit's range. Also, it does not specify normal range, so even if it was referring to your unit, there are several units in range and LOS. It should AM to 12V4:2. Also, see S6.221 and notice that the movement should have been assault movement regardless.

AFPh: 12V4:2 should check {A3a} for targets as it has many to choose from.

RtPh: The HMG should be left behind (A4.42). Also was unpossessed.

APh: Reminder-leaders follow different rules (S6.3173).

Units in 12U5 should advance up to 12U5:1 (S11.1). Concealment doesn't negate target status. (terms & definitions)

Turn 9: Mission end dr occurs at end of each Player Turn.

MPh: 12S2 is visible from U8 for a DFF shot. (2-2)

12P3 -> Q4 loses concealment bypassing in open ground (FFMO applies [A23.71]).

T5 needs AC when moving in S3.

DFPh: Shot at R3 neglects hedge. K/1 instead of 1KIA.

12V5 vs P5 is 2+2. Need to check for panic before DFF FRIENDLY units in T3 & Q6.

RtPh: 35U10 to V10 leaves mortar behind... caught.

APh: Advance to 12W4 activates W6.

CCPh: Check end of mission... caught next turn.

Turn 10 PFPh: Remember that prisoners eliminated still count double for Victory Conditions (A20.54).

12U5:1 Doubles 3,3 panics 1st line troops (S6.21). Leader still needs to do his own thing.

Looks like you were confusing ENEMY panic rolls (doubles) with FRIENDLY CMD rolls for V6 & T7 (and probably U5).

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some strategy tips:

I think you probably noticed the importance of keeping units near leaders in SASL, especially when those three squads with LMGs all panicked at once! The ATR and mortar crews can often be left to do their own thing, but infantry squads and MG teams benefit greatly from leader support.

Although they can be difficult to employ and the German ones aren't that great, it is important to use the mortars. On the offense, they are best used to activate and fire at S? / enemies in tree lines (2fp -1 is a pretty good shot). Remember you can dm them in the DFPh of the ENEMY turn if they've run out of targets. This speeds redeployment considerably.

When the ENEMY S? has an effective AC of 5, the -2 line on the activation table is to be avoided at all costs. Treat S? as though you already KNOW they are squads (70% of the time, there is _something_ there).

With an AC roll of 4, there are a lot more opportunities to get CVP, but as you noticed, these many enemies make it difficult to completely obliterate the pockets. Taking prisoners would help substantially by multiplying those CVP.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What program do I need to read the atachments please?

Would like to read over these.

Thanks,
MD

AlkoNL

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Hey all,

Thanks for commenting on my logs!
I'm gonna move on to my first GASL scenario. If anyone's interested I could post these logs as well.

Cheers,

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd be interested to watch it. Don't go out of your way to do activation rolling in VASL on our account, though, if SALSA is easier for you :)

One note about ENEMY movement:

There is only a single movement DR for all ENEMY infantry in advance attitude (they all take the same action). And there are only two movement DR's for all ENEMY infantry in hold attitude, one for those on even hexes and one for those on odd hexes.

It doesn't affect play in this mission, since you never had two move units on the same even/odd parity hex. However, since you checked for movement action when you got to the units rather than making two DR's at the start of the phase, I wasn't sure if you noticed this tidbit.