Mike and I #7: Retribution - ASL Scenario A55

iamspamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cross-posted from BGG

Mike and I #7: Retribution - ASL Scenario A55 (7 May 2009)

As always, comments, criticisms, questions are welcome. Please, let me know what I can make these better.

So, Mike got to pick a scenario and he went with Retribution. He took the Americans, which is fine with me. Dirty Amis get EVERYTHING. Grumble, grumble. So in this scenario, the Italians, defending somewhere in Sicily, set up in the central position of the village on board 12. Their 10x 347s, 10x 346s, 4x leaders (including a 6+1), few SW and 65* INF gun set up to defend against the American onslaught consisting of 5x 667s, 11x 666s, 4 leaders (including a 10-2, how’s that for a kick in the pants???), 2x HMGs, 3x MMGs and 3 BAZ. Gack! They need to take 6 of 8 Victory buildings to win. The SANs are similar, with a 4 for the US and 5 for the Italians. I set my 346s around the perimeter as a screen and to take the majority of the FP before the Amis closed with me. That would work, except that my 346s tended to just fail MCs of all flavors. Oh well.

(I played this on table top, but made a map to show generally what happened. X = my setup location, within 5 spaces from X. D = Mike’s Death house :) and rally point. G = my gun - CA N4/N5. The Ms = my two MMGs. The Vs are the victory locations. The circles are the VC that Mike captured. Green shows Mike’s avenues of approach.)

The Americans decide to come across the field towards the city (aimed at 12R6) and also send only a few guys through the gully towards building 12V4 with only a couple of squads. Mike’s opening salvos vs. the 346 in 12V4 level 1 results in a passed 2MC then a HOB!!! Oh wait, these are not Germans, but Italians...gulp. Yep, surrender. Good start. After that Mike breaks one of his MMG. Hee hee

Turn 2 sees Mike’s broken MMG disappear for good. Guess they should have brought ammo! He oozes forward across the front and then zooms along the gulley towards 12V4. The US sniper reveals and pins a 347 & LMG in 12S5. Since he’s not concealed, I decide to shoot him and break the LMG in DF. During Italian movement, I attempt to move the 6+1 with an LMG up to the disrupted guy. He then breaks and is disrupted after an inordinate amount of DF. There goes that building and flank.

On turn 3, as Mike’s moving I pop up a 347 and MMG in both 12Q4, level 1 and 12O4, level 1. These guys cause some havoc and heart-ache for the Amis advancing across the field, breaking a bunch on a ROF-fest. A 346 scout HS near T7 fails his ELR in an MC and drops down to a 246. Then we had the coup de grace. A brave 9-1 attempts to rout with a broken from 12Y10 to 12Y9. Unfortunately this is within normal range and LOS of the MMG in 12O4, who interdicts. A 12 rolled, kills the squad and the accompanying leader. 1 of 4 leaders down.

Melee sees a 346 (US HS) vs a 346 (It sq...sigh) in 12S9. The Italian goes down! Mike’s first, and only, location captured. During my turn 3, I break the 7-0 leader, who retreats back to 12AA7. There he joins 4.5 broken squads. 2nd of 4 leaders incapacitated.

On his turn 4, his leader in 12AA7 doesn’t rally, so he is still down all those squads. Mike is feeling desperate. So, he takes some more risks, moving in the open and is punished for it. Still hasn’t noticed his smoke exponent. In rout phase he decides to voluntarily rout his 10-2 back to 12AA7 to get the rally going. When rolling to rally, he activates my sniper who miraculously kills the 10-2. 2 of 4 leaders dead. One broken and the other not in position to help. Mike concedes.

For the sniper I had six attempts to Mike’s one. Of this, both of us only had one activation, me a 1 killing the 10-2 and mike a 2 revealing a stack in 12S5.

THE GOOD (WHAT WE DID WELL) -
*I skulked well. I had fall back positions. (The latter is new for me!)

THE BAD (WHAT WE NEED TO WORK ON) -
* Mike hasn’t attacked much in ASL yet. He kinda showed it here. Though he has the general principles and tactics of offense down, he hasn’t yet translated them into the rules of ASL legalese. So, he alternately moved across open ground too quickly or just crept along. He’s getting better though!

*I didn’t utilize fire lanes in this. My MMGs were setup out of position for that.

*Mike didn’t use smoke once!!! Can’t do that. Also, he missed the opportunity to use the gully to flank me.

*I had my 6+1 leader & first broken 346 in the wrong place. They shouldn’t have been up where the whole American world could shoot at them.

THE AWESOME -
*Saw the first shots at an Italian cause him to chuck down his weapons and surrender (disrupt). This was followed by another disruption to the leader going to rescue him. Tea time, I guess?

*The 9-1and squad who croaked during their interdiction while retreating in 12Y9.

*Finally, the sniper’s kill of the 10-2. You gotta admit that that was SCHWEEEEET.

MAJ Perry (10-2) sitting in 12AA7 muses “This is crap! We gotta get movin’ to the front.” He stands up, waving arm in a forward motion and yells, “Come on men.” At this point he wakes up poor Luigi, the lonely Italian sniper, who was asleep in the rafter s of the house. He is so alarmed and discombobulated that he falls off of the roof and hits the dirt, rifle discharging. The bullet takes MAJ Perry right between the eyes.

This is the definition of AWESOME... ;-)

QUESTIONS -
We only had one question, that we found the answer to ourselves later.

1) If a MMC routing with a leader rolls a 12 for interdiction, he CRs for failing morale, then CR again for the 12. Is the leader dead too? [Yes, 10.711.]

aac3903

Recruit
Reaction score
In rout phase he decides to voluntarily rout his 10-2 back to 12AA7 to get the rally going. When rolling to rally, he activates my sniper who miraculously kills the 10-2.

Snipers are not active during the Rally Phase NRBH to quote the exact rule. PFPh, DFPh and AFPh are the phases when the Sniper can be activated.

Last edited:

iamspamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In rout phase he decides to voluntarily rout his 10-2 back to 12AA7 to get the rally going. When rolling to rally, he activates my sniper who miraculously kills the 10-2.

Snipers are not active during the Rally Phase NRBH to quote the exact rule. PFPh, DFPh and AFPh are the phases when the Sniper can be activated.
Good catch. It was my first, and only, note on turn four, so it must have been the first shot. Thinking back I don't even think that he rallied, but none-the-less he was killed outright and Mike conceded.