Melee Pack 10 TRIP WIRE

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Melee Pack 10 TRIP WIRE

The scenario features a firepower heavy, morale light US Army force (is there any other kind in 1944?) against a SS force with LOTS of firepower, a mix of 658s and 447s (and ELR 3) and one 838 (sturm pioneer no less with smoke 5-had to use my VOTG counter for it). Problem is that the glory boys of the Waffen SS have to cross lots of open ground, kill or capture lots of Americans, get terrain AND keep their losses low.
I was the US player vs. Larry Zoet. My plan as the US player was to have an up front defense. My rationale was that although it sacrificed all that wonderful rallying terrain AND it would be hard to fall back, my defending up front I could delay the Germans AND maybe in turn inflict lots of losses on them with side shots against the Panther or Jgd PzIV.
Larry Zoet is generally a good player. But, impatience coupled with high dice rolls are a receipe for disaster, and our playings (note the plural) of it are testimony to that. Putting no smoke down, he charged with his Panther and Jgpd PzIV to the EE row. I skanked a side shot with my M10 on his Jgd Pz, and got a lucky IMMOB result with a 60mm Mtr vs. the Panther. He conceded at that point, so, what the heck we reset and a again charged away. THIS time the Panther died of a side shot on turn 2 and although he had a glorious bezerk charge with an 8-0 and 658, they died in a hail of bullets shortly after crossing the board 12 gully and I in turn HOBd my 9-2 to a 10-2. Along the way, I also caused a bunch of M.C.1s vs. his 447s, and he in turn rolled five 11s or 10s, which is a receipe for ELRing your troops to conscripts. In disgust, Larry quit on turn 2 of our second playing. My intent is to enter our playings on ROAR as just one game.

I want to and intend to replay this scenario as the GERMANS sometime this winter vs. either Jeff DY, Ben Richardson or Chris Garret. I think it is a competitive, even winnable scenario with a judicious use of Smoke, fire and manuever, and little bit of luck (gee, isn’t that the essence of ASL?). IMHO, the Germans need to push their INF forward and meanwhile HIDE their AFVs until they have found most or all of the US anti tank assets and then do manuever and fire around or even away from them. Around turn 3 they can try crossing the gully area and maybe by then if the AT assets are revealed, you can get some use out of the German AFVs, but they are Vps on tracks for the US player, so I would urge being very conservative with them.

Mark DV
Ada, MI

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember this one from playtesting...I got kicked just about as hard as Larry did when I rushed the attack as the Germans.

The Germans definately have the tools to win this, but the Americans have the ability to put a serious hurt on a overly-agressive German attack. I can remember one playing where I thought that I was making a great move and I sent a tank into the gully on the German left, pushing the tank there ahead of my infantry...only to have the HIP American hs with a baz in the scrub adjacent to me nail my tank and kill it...:cry:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Wow, it's been so long I had to search my memory banks to remember this one. Finally it clicked.

My recollection of this scenario was that, although the Germans have to cross some open ground early in the game, if they attack carefully and systematically with ample smoke, they can put the hurt on any Americans that set up too far forward. It behooves the German to be VERY cautious with his big armored vehicles. They will make their impact in due time; let the infantry flush out any hiding Americans that can take them out.

Given that the VC for the Germans are not too strenuous, it really becomes a balancing act for the Americans... you need to contest the forward VC areas, while not committing too many troops forward such that they become overwhelmed by the German amoeba. At some point your back will be against the wall at that last VC building and it becomes very tense.

This is an aptly titled scenario. I recall the final version providing numerous very close games with extremely exciting endgames. That graveyard was a maelstrom!

(Disclaimer: This was all written on memories at least 4 years old!)