Master and Commander

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Release

M&C comes out tomorrow 4-20-04. I have it on pre order at our local Best Buy. I saw Stalingrad up there as well and might pick it up. As I havent bought a movie in about a month, Im gonna treat myself and see how it is.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re: Release

Originally posted by jdscott7280
M&C comes out tomorrow 4-20-04. I have it on pre order at our local Best Buy. I saw Stalingrad up there as well and might pick it up. As I havent bought a movie in about a month, Im gonna treat myself and see how it is.
Yeah! Do it! You won't regret it (he said, with crossed fingers...).

Dr. S.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
Mrs Sinister will be in the other room, in bed. She doesn't like the sort of films I like, so she'd only talk all the way through it. I'd prefer to watch it on my own. She'd probably prefer that too.
Dr. S.
Amen to that! My wife doesn't make me watch her movies and I don't make her watch mine. Life is better for both of us that way.

NO CATS THOUGH!

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
M&C After Action Report

I have two words. Bloody Good!!!!!! Movie was topo notch all around, lil kid was a trip. Was able to capture a couple scenes as backgrounds which I now have as wallpaper. This is a definent must for any collection and I hope it does well at the Oscars.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Historical Accuracy

I thought that M&C really made a good show for realism. For one, many nautical movies (like Cutthroat Island and Pirates of the Carribbean) love to show two ships bearing down on each other, both full sail into the wind-which would be impossible. In M&C it properly shows that in most 1 on 1 naval duels, one chased the other as they competed for the "weather gauge" and did not simply turn head-on for each other.

Also you actually see them repairing their ship after an engagement. Lots of Hollywood sea battles show two wooden ships clash with the winner walking (or sailing) away without so much as a hole in their sail in the aftermath (even if he was dismasted during the battle). In reality even if you won you would be making repairs for at least a week.

It also showed the bloody nature of boarding a ship. One place where Hornblower went wrong was showing a frigate engaging in one cutting out party after another. In reality melees of this nature were so violent that you could only afford to board perhaps two ships (and I only read of that occuring ONCE) during one cruise without decrewing your vessel from casualties and prize crews.

But enough nitpicking, it's a great movie. (So is Hornblower)
:terms:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Lance Williams
Well I picked up the collectors addition of M&C that has an extra disc of features. I hope they're as good as the movie.
If there's as much stuff on my 2-disc set, there's almost too much there.

Dr. S.

JSMoss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams

The Archeron's details were made in scale by a sailor who said it was shown to him by a relative who worked in the shipyards of Philadelphia. I don't think this is that farfetched.
Actually, as Dr. S points out, this is far fetched it that there would have been only one set of master plans available to the lead shipbuilder under what we would now call dual control. Subplans would have then made for various phases of construction which would again have been limited in access. Most workers would have never seen plans. They would have known their craft and would have completed tasks as given.

Brad Ritter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw m&c at the movies and rented it Monday and watched it again. Will probably buy a copy to watch from time to time. :thumb: