Map Graphic vs the Terrain Effects

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is addressed primarily to MajorH and all you map designers out there. I cannot seem to replicate the smooth lines of some of the more recent maps - roads, rivers, elevations, woodlines, etc. My most recent design is still "choppy". I believe it to be a function of trying to model the graphic to the terrain cells in the Map Tool.

10m is 10m so I suppose I'm answering my own question, but is the prevailing thought that the map graphic asthetics are more important than the code behind it so long as the code is "close" - within a pixel of the graphic?

Thoughts?

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is a very quick and crude example of how you can "smooth" the blocky nature of the map with out making the graphic too far off the terrain code. As MajorH often says the map needs to be true to the code or people with not use it. That being said a map of perfect 10 pixel squares isn't very fun either.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
10m is 10m so I suppose I'm answering my own question, but is the prevailing thought that the map graphic asthetics are more important than the code behind it so long as the code is "close" - within a pixel of the graphic?
When I make maps I do try to smooth the blockiness of the 100 meter (10x10 pixel) code grid a little bit but only by 2 or 3 pixels.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MajorH said:
When I make maps I do try to smooth the blockiness of the 100 meter (10x10 pixel) code grid a little bit but only by 2 or 3 pixels.
Thanks, did not want to assume too much and be burned at the stake for heresy. :)