M1A2 vs T90

Gen. blunder

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I played a custom scenario with US forces equipped with M1A2 abrahms tanks against russian T90's. :nuts:
Are T 90 tanks really superior to the M1A2 's. :eek: :nuts:

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
T-90s are smaller, have both ARENA and KONTAKT (both unproven in a modern Top Attack ATGM environment). The T-90 saw limited use in the 1999 onwards Chechen excursion, but given it's role as anti-tank, rather than close support, that's understable. Like all Russian vehicles equipped with the 125mm, it's capable of firing a tube lanuched ATGM (think the Shillelagh), which is where it get's it's advantage over the M1 in SP:MBT. Ofc, this is offset by the M1A2 having a greater vision in any year you pit them against each other (50, GSR strength I think).

In real life, the program has been plagued by cost over runs, and the general sturdiness of the T-72M and T-80UM in the Chechen conflict has made introducing a new, technologically unproven, MBT redundant.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bladrian said:
And this pertains to SPWaW how, exactly?
We are considering adding SPMBT to our Steel Panthers covered games so I have been encouraging players of that version to visit this forum and help us build it up as a place where they can meet, post and participate in future tournaments and such. Chances are you will be many more "SP modern" related posts :D

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think in SPMBT the T-90 is superior to the lower cost you generally have more of them then M1A2's and if you move in fastly to get near and your advanced ERA defeats the M1's penetrators you have a clear advantage.

In reality the question is in how far the KONTAKT armor does work in combat environment, I mean I have read reports indicating that the ERA can stop a SABOT round, but who knows in how far this is true.
So if all the systems, that is KONTAKT and ARENA, the T-90 is definately better then the M1.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Na4med said:
Dear mr_clark. The main thing in T-90 is lower price and maintainability. The system Arena destroys 90 % atgm.
And destroyed Without this system abrams in Iraq. But is not present destroyed T-90 in the Chechen Republic.
And that's why I will always go for a platoon of T-90 and not for on Abrams!

Thanks for the links, great pictures, guess I have to improve my Russian skills a little bit, though.