Loss of "?" ownership when switching machines

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey all,

I've noticed this as a problem since I've upgraded to 5.8. I travel for business and have VASL installed on both my home desktop and work laptop (shhh). I usually play ASL PBEM. When I open a log for a game on either computer after having played on the other, I invariably see that the concealed counters for my side have gone to the full "?" depiction. I have to select each one in turn, unconceal and reconceal them for them to go back to showing the unit depiction with the "?" in the upper left corner. A minor inconvenience. I've double checked that my username and password under Preferences is the same on both machines (as it always has been, going back to prior to the upgrade).

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks,
Dave

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hey all,

I've noticed this as a problem since I've upgraded to 5.8. I travel for business and have VASL installed on both my home desktop and work laptop (shhh). I usually play ASL PBEM. When I open a log for a game on either computer after having played on the other, I invariably see that the concealed counters for my side have gone to the full "?" depiction. I have to select each one in turn, unconceal and reconceal them for them to go back to showing the unit depiction with the "?" in the upper left corner. A minor inconvenience. I've double checked that my username and password under Preferences is the same on both machines (as it always has been, going back to prior to the upgrade).

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks,
Dave
You need to make sure that they both have the same log in and the same passwork. To make sure I had to re-enter my password as when I upgraded to 5.8 as it seemed to put a generic password that had no relation to my previous password in the password slot.

If you want to pick up existing games, you need to enter the password they were created under.

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
AFAIK, VASL ctrs (as stored in a savegame or logfie) depend solely on the 'password' for ? & HIPness. One's username (playerID as seen in the chat dlog or in a VASL-server room shouldn't make any difference - only the (identical, case-sensitive) 'password' is needed to see one's 'owned' ?'d & HIPped guys.

I often go to user-prefs & change my pw, to get the "oppo's eye view" of my initial setup, or of a game-state at some point during play. But it's muy importante to change the pw back to your 'base state' before making any changes/corrections to any unit's ? or HIP.

The "aaargh-factor" occurs when you've got your game underway, then at some point you realize that some of your guys are HIPped to a different pw.

I also note that v. often, when I open a rec'd logfile, my map's 'pop-up display' will initially show my ctrs as 'fully-?'d', it takes a click (or two) in the map dlog before my ?'d ctrs realize that it's OK for me to see them!

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bingo, the upgrade changed the password on my desktop machine. Re-entering it got the two in sync and fixed the problem.

Thanks guys.
Dave