Light Mortar doubt...

raugaro

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi all,

Recently I had a doubt on a game and I have not found a clear reference on the rules yet, about it. Let see, what you say about it:

- Hex A: Contains a HS, possesing a Light Mortar, and a 8-1 leader.
- Hex B: Contains a good order unit, that has been designated as Observer of the Light Mortar that is on Hex A.
- Hex C: the target... an enemy squad, for example.

Hex A do not has LOS to hex C, but hex B has a clear LOS to hex C.

The Light Mortar on Hex A fires, with the unit on Hex B as designated observer, to Hex C. I am sure that I have to use the +2 for spotted fire on the TO HIT, but It is used the -1 leadership too? even if the 8-1 leader do not has a clear LOS to the target?

Thank you very much in advance!
Regards,
Raúl

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The example after C9.31 should help:

EX: A leader stacked with a Spotter may not modify a mortar's To Hit DR, but one stacked with another unit firing a SW mortar may modify one mortar's To Hit DR. A unit may Spot for more than one mortar in a Player Turn only if the mortars are all in the same Location and firing at the same target. A squad may attack with its inherent FP and spot for ≥ 1 mortar but will lose any acquisition gained with the mortars when it does so attack.

Basically, the spotter and any leader stacked with the spotter do not provide DRM, but a leader stacked with the mortar can provide DRM, even when using spotted fire.

raugaro

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
That's the way we did.

But, why the leader modifies the TH if he has no LOS to the target?... rare rule indeed :)

OK, thanks so much!
Raúl

ASL Couple

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Now, fellas, you drop that thing in the open end of the tube. No, no, don't brace it against your knee. Now move that leg out about two inches. Perfect!" :D

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's the way we did.

But, why the leader modifies the TH if he has no LOS to the target?... rare rule indeed :)

OK, thanks so much!
Raúl
Simple actually.

A leader has to be in the same Location as the unit he's giving the DRM. No LOS required for anyone conducting indirect fire, provided you have the spotter with LOS Adjacent to the mortar.

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Now, fellas, you drop that thing in the open end of the tube. No, no, don't brace it against your knee. Now move that leg out about two inches. Perfect!" :D
No, LOWER the elevation to get more range! You call yourselves a mortar crew?!