JASL

Adrockski

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the score on this?

http://www.thuring.com/asl/jasl/index.html

After about a month of perusing all-things-ASL on the web, I only recently encountered this (thanks, PK). At first glance, it looks like a pretty helpful program for us newbies, and it seems strange that I've never heard it mentioned before now.

Anybody tried it?

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

actually I would be intrested too, and I am the one writing it!

I really don't know why, but there is very little feedback on JASL. I see the number of downloads of each release, but much less than 0.5% give some kind of feedback. I guess it sucks in a big way and no one wants to hurt my feelings... ;-)

But don't let that stop you, please have a look and let me know what you think.

see you,

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lars, I'm a full time professional Java programmer and you have done an excellent job with this. I've only played a few turns of Guards Counter hut was very impressed. If you would ever/like need any help with parts of it, give me an e-mail at peterk@look.ca.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

No, JASL it not finished. The internal structure has been more or less completed now and the next release will see more nationalities and more scenarios. Right now I am working on adding more actions as well as improving the LOS handling. Big parts for the next release include an easy GUI for handling movement up and down, aiming at targets on a specific level in a Bld. and reworking CC.

Adding vehicles is a major IF but has a lot of appeal. We'll see. And as always I am happy to hear about what you'd like to have "right now".

see you,
Lars

P.S. "no day easier than yesterday" - I like it!

DB2000

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Lars,

We've spoken a few times on this. I remind you the programme is excellent and a great contribution to ASL in general. Keep up the good work and take pride in your efforts they are respected.

Perhaps as previously mentioned you should liase with Rodney, especially if you experience problems with LOS as indicated. No one in their right mind would really expected the finished article immediately and ALL should recognise this is a labour of love and is a free download; what more could we want?

We appreciate it and look forward to the next installment :wink:

Best Wishes,

Derek

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded it last night and gave it a shot. It's quite the achievement! I can just imagine the difficulties you must have faced in implementing the ASL rules, let alone the AI.

I would have one suggestion though. You should seriously consider making maps and scenarios a set of files that can be read by JASL. You'd immediately gain two advantages:

1) You could focus on the engine, and let others deal with scenarios. There are several hundred scenarios out there, and even with your considerable talent, you'll never be able to implement them all. By placing them outside of the main app, for anyone to create, everyone can contribute to this project, and insure it becomes a success.

2) JASL will be expandable. As new scenarios are created, players will be able to add those scenarios to the game and benefit from them sooner than they would if they'd have to wait for you do implement them.

I know, it's far easier said than done. I'm guessing it's a bit of work to pull the code out at this point, and there's the issue of SSRs for those scenarios. Still, it's something you should seriously consider now, as the design and implementation difficulties for this feature will only increase as development progresses.

Other than that, JASL looks to be a fine product. Congratulations on the results thus far.

Nat

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Derek & Nat,

thanks a lot for your praise! As far as combining JASL with VASL, who knows? First I'd like JASL to stand on its own. The LOS issue is mainly how do design an easy (intuitive) interface to drawing a LOS to the 2nd or 3d level, or to a cellar, and so on. Ideally one mouse based way and one keyboard based way to satisfy both user types. I have some ideas and have received some more.

Separating of scenarios and mapboards. Definitely worth considering, though each and every mapboard scenario bring more features that must be *programmed*. Just look at any board. There is heap of little details which humans grasp immediately, but must be programed explicitly. Buildings which do not connect over a hexside (23CC2) and so on. Not a big deal to code, but it has to be done. At the start of JASL it worked just way using the old perl scripts used for the generation of the first gif boards, it was a good starting point but only adressed the appearance whereas JASL needs to know the functions as well. Most likely when a majority of such details have been coded an external file format or scenario design language can be added.

Scenarios are the same, but worse. ;-) Setup rules and Victory conditions need to be defined in code. Overlays are not that bad (e.g. I know how), and most SSR's too.

And, as you suspect, I feel the time now is better spent on adding ASL functionality. BUT it is not as bad as it sounds as I will receive help with these issues now (yes!) and next release will be more intresting.

Thank you for the input!

see you,
Lars

jthompson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lars,

Downloaded and installed JASL today. Really looks good, as soon as you get the bugs worked out it will be a great addition to the ASL arena. Keep up the good work.

Jim

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jthompson said:
Lars,

Downloaded and installed JASL today. Really looks good, as soon as you get the bugs worked out it will be a great addition to the ASL arena. Keep up the good work.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thanks! If you have any suggestions please go ahead and make them.
For those intrested I have added British, French and Italians for next release.

see you,
Lars

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lars said:
The LOS issue is mainly how do design an easy (intuitive) interface to drawing a LOS to the 2nd or 3d level, or to a cellar, and so on. Ideally one mouse based way and one keyboard based way to satisfy both user types.
Now you've got another: Why don't you use the same key-strokes as VASL?

David

larth

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
David said:
Lars said:
The LOS issue is mainly how do design an easy (intuitive) interface to drawing a LOS to the 2nd or 3d level, or to a cellar, and so on. Ideally one mouse based way and one keyboard based way to satisfy both user types.
Now you've got another: Why don't you use the same key-strokes as VASL?

David
There are plusses and minusses for using the same keystrokes in JASL as VASL does. Some already overlapp in use and are used with others. There is a lengthy thread in the matrixgames forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36606) comparing this and other aspects of JASL & VASL (it is also rather critical to JASL in particular and java based games in general...). Anyway, I also want an easy to use graphical possibility with the mouse so that a new user - or one like me who doesn't want to look in the manual first :) - can get along and play.

regards,
Lars

Matt Boehland

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Changing building levels

I can't figure out how to switch what level of a building you're taergeting at.. Only can move to or target the ground floor. I'm sure it's something simple, but I didn't see it in the help file ^^;

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Changing building levels

Matt Boehland said:
I can't figure out how to switch what level of a building you're taergeting at.. Only can move to or target the ground floor. I'm sure it's something simple, but I didn't see it in the help file ^^;
Matt,

Sorry for the inconvenience. In the current version it is not possible to select an upper level for the human player - the FAQ has been updated to include this piece of info last week. Now I feel I should have included it from the start, considering the number of Q's on it.

see you,
Lars

larth

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Re: Changing building levels

...perhaps I should also try to remember login in before answering to avoid the "guest" confusion!

Anyway, some tidbits on the next release anyway: more scenarios, play either side in the scenarios, ResFP and more.

see you,
Lars

Matt Boehland

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
If you want more feedback on the game, itr'd probably be good to either resolve the other-level targetting issue or disable the computer AI from switching levels. Currently, it simply makes it impossible to do anything to a computer opponent when it goes to a different level (as far as I know). It looks very good overall, but it seems near unplayable like this, at least for anything with buildings.

Note, this is only constructive criticism. The fact that you've programmed the rules (IIRC, VASL doesnt worry about if moves are legit) and a computer AI for ASL at all is impressive.

larth

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Matt Boehland said:
If you want more feedback on the game, itr'd probably be good to either resolve the other-level targetting issue or disable the computer AI from switching levels. Currently, it simply makes it impossible to do anything to a computer opponent when it goes to a different level (as far as I know). It looks very good overall, but it seems near unplayable like this, at least for anything with buildings.
I know; one player even suggested it was the AI "cheating" by taking advantage of moving up knowing you can't target him there! Actually the AI assumes the human player can whatever it can do, so it is not a planned in that respect. All in all, the AI is very rudimentary with the real work comming when more rules have been implemented.

Note, this is only constructive criticism. The fact that you've programmed the rules (IIRC, VASL doesnt worry about if moves are legit) and a computer AI for ASL at all is impressive.
Thanks! Don't worry, critisims and suggestions are more than welcome!

cheers,
Lars

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ron,

da priest said:
I can't seem to get JASL to work with WinXP. Deleted and reloaded, still didn't work.
Do you see any messages / dialogues? Normally just double clicking on the JAR file works. Which java version are you using and where is it installed?

If you are using the jasl6.bat file the problem is likely that the JRE is installed in a different place than expected from the command inside the BAT file. Also if the JRE path has a space (" ") in it it may be better if it is reinstalled in for example C:\jre1.3.1 (or C:\jre1.4.1 or something like that depending on on which version you use) without a space in the path. If this still doesn't work change the BAT file to use the "java" command instead of the "javaw" - this will cause JASL to be started from a DOS window in which messages are displayed on what is not working.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

regards,
Lars