J237 Commandos at Kaiapit AAR

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
For our next game from The Magnificent Seven series in ASL Journal #14 we moved to the jungles of New Guinea by choosing J237 Commandos at Kaiapit. The scenario depicts the attack of the Australian 2/6th Independent Company on the village of Kaiapit. Their aim is to clear elements of the Japanese 3rd Battalion, 78th Regiment from the surrounding area and prepare the nearby airfield for use. The Aussies have 5 and a half turns to secure at least 5 hut hexes on board 62. The Japanese must stop the Aussies. I attacked with the Australians and Johan, my regular gaming buddy, defended with the Japanese. This looked to be another very interesting scenario with restricted setups and reinforcements thereby giving both sides plenty to think about.
  • Japanese advantages: Leadership, MMGs, reinforcements
    Japanese advantages: Restricted initial setup, not stealthy and no HIP (SSR)
  • Australian advantages: Elite infantry, leadership, mortars
    Australian disadvantages: time
Start of Game. This image shows the starting positions of the two sides with the Australian counters expanded to provide more detail. I decided that the restricted Japanese setup yielded a strong central setup defending the bridge which would have been suicidal for the Australians to attack frontally. My plan was therefore to try a double pincer movement and outflank the Japanese on the east and west of the maps whilst hopefully laying smoke on the Japanese in the centre with my mortars. Each Australian mortar had an s9 for its first smoke attempt. I expected the Japanese to fall back slowly and occupy the village so I needed to hustle my troops.

Start of Turn 2. The right Australian hook around the eastern side of the board was working well whereas the left hook was looking to face some tough Japanese opposition. The dice gods were kind to me in the centre because the mortars were able to lay down an effective smoke screen around the bridge that shielded the Australians from Japanese fire.

Start of Turn 4. The eastern Australian pincer had successfully taking several hut hexes in the village by this time and were now bracing themselves for the inevitable Japanese counter attack. The Japanese forces defending the bridge were holding their positions and still had a lot of smoke in their eyes. The western Australian pincer was wearing down the Japanese forces and would hopefully be in a position to threaten Kaiapit village form the south.

End of Game. By the end of the game the Australians had survived two Japanese banzai attacks and secured 6 hut hexes for victory. I appreciate the Australians were lucky at times. I was able to put down plenty of smoke from the mortars in the opening phases of the game and rolled snake-eyes on a Subsequent First Fire shot to destroy a banzai charge. Overall, however, the DRs were fairly even for both sides. I was pleased with my outflanking tactics and felt that the Japanese could have pulled back earlier from their opening positions. They needed to secure hut hexes and not the bridge crossing for victory. This scenario was another gem from ASL Journal #14 and great fun to play. We’re moving to New Britain for our next scenario in the series. Stay tuned!

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
For our next game from The Magnificent Seven series in ASL Journal #14 we moved to the jungles of New Guinea by choosing J237 Commandos at Kaiapit. The scenario depicts the attack of the Australian 2/6th Independent Company on the village of Kaiapit. Their aim is to clear elements of the Japanese 3rd Battalion, 78th Regiment from the surrounding area and prepare the nearby airfield for use. The Aussies have 5 and a half turns to secure at least 5 hut hexes on board 62. The Japanese must stop the Aussies. I attacked with the Australians and Johan, my regular gaming buddy, defended with the Japanese. This looked to be another very interesting scenario with restricted setups and reinforcements thereby giving both sides plenty to think about.
  • Japanese advantages: Leadership, MMGs, reinforcements
    Japanese advantages: Restricted initial setup, not stealthy and no HIP (SSR)
  • Australian advantages: Elite infantry, leadership, mortars
    Australian disadvantages: time
View attachment 26676
Start of Game. This image shows the starting positions of the two sides with the Australian counters expanded to provide more detail. I decided that the restricted Japanese setup yielded a strong central setup defending the bridge which would have been suicidal for the Australians to attack frontally. My plan was therefore to try a double pincer movement and outflank the Japanese on the east and west of the maps whilst hopefully laying smoke on the Japanese in the centre with my mortars. Each Australian mortar had an s9 for its first smoke attempt. I expected the Japanese to fall back slowly and occupy the village so I needed to hustle my troops.

View attachment 26677
Start of Turn 2. The right Australian hook around the eastern side of the board was working well whereas the left hook was looking to face some tough Japanese opposition. The dice gods were kind to me in the centre because the mortars were able to lay down an effective smoke screen around the bridge that shielded the Australians from Japanese fire.

View attachment 26678
Start of Turn 4. The eastern Australian pincer had successfully taking several hut hexes in the village by this time and were now bracing themselves for the inevitable Japanese counter attack. The Japanese forces defending the bridge were holding their positions and still had a lot of smoke in their eyes. The western Australian pincer was wearing down the Japanese forces and would hopefully be in a position to threaten Kaiapit village form the south.

View attachment 26679
End of Game. By the end of the game the Australians had survived two Japanese banzai attacks and secured 6 hut hexes for victory. I appreciate the Australians were lucky at times. I was able to put down plenty of smoke from the mortars in the opening phases of the game and rolled snake-eyes on a Subsequent First Fire shot to destroy a banzai charge. Overall, however, the DRs were fairly even for both sides. I was pleased with my outflanking tactics and felt that the Japanese could have pulled back earlier from their opening positions. They needed to secure hut hexes and not the bridge crossing for victory. This scenario was another gem from ASL Journal #14 and great fun to play. We’re moving to New Britain for our next scenario in the series. Stay tuned!
About to play this and by PTO rules the road doesn’t exist and the bridge is a “dry” ford. However the setup instructions mention printed road hex’s, presumably only for setup purposes, otherwise Open Ground? This AAR certainly seemed to have the bridge as a bridge, not a ford.

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
About to play this and by PTO rules the road doesn’t exist and the bridge is a “dry” ford. However the setup instructions mention printed road hex’s, presumably only for setup purposes, otherwise Open Ground? This AAR certainly seemed to have the bridge as a bridge, not a ford.
Hi Del, we played the game with bridge and road in existence.

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Played this last night against Michael H-L as the Australians. Michael (as expected ) pulled every Japanese trick out of the book but I slowly pushed him back to the village with a hook up each flank. The last turn saw a desperate effort to take and control three hut hexes, a 24-1 shot and Smoke ROF cleared the way for me to get three stacks adjacent and in the final CC clear all three close combats.
I generated 3 Hero’s on the way, one of whom saved the game by ambushing and eliminating a spoiling force so I could move adjacent to a VC hex in the last turn.
A nail-biting ending to a really enjoyable scenario.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one yesterday. We played it with no road and a ford. This needs to be clarified as a road would allow road movement bonus of an additional hex, which could help the Anzac’s. Japanese won with an Anzac surrender in turn 5, having taken the 2 hilltop hexes and 1 hut.
what is the current record? This scenario is not yet in ROAR.

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
Played this one yesterday. We played it with no road and a ford. This needs to be clarified as a road would allow road movement bonus of an additional hex, which could help the Anzac’s. Japanese won with an Anzac surrender in turn 5, having taken the 2 hilltop hexes and 1 hut.
what is the current record? This scenario is not yet in ROAR.
Thank you for the write up. You were correct in not playing the "road" as a "road". As to the balance, when we playtested the scenario (which is always difficult with PTO given the wide variability in outcomes), it felt slightly pro-Japanese. However, the Aussies have stealthy 6-4-8s (and H-to-H options) which is pretty cool and a fair compensation for the scenario leaning towards the Axis. Andy