Is there a Counter for the Mule Carried 75* Pack Howitzer?

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was told by a knowledgeable source that available for dropping with WW2 American Airborne Units were what John Gordon calls the 75 pack howitzers. Yet, I see no counter for the Gun, which was designed to be carried by. pack mules. Am I missing something?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed you are. Below is the counter tray with the Gun highlighted. I have superimposed the counter on a blank board showing the DM state.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am I missing him (the Gun) because I have only the first edition rules? Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see that the American 75* has only a 10 penetration. Still if it is all you have. I noticed that the 37* field SW is limited to only PTO and the Italian campaign in 3/5 1945. John Gordon thought that it was also in North Africa too, but was not sure if it was employed by American paratrooper as well. The 75* pack Gun seems likely to have been more useful against light Axis armor. Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don 2 insisted an American crew assigned to a 60mm Light mortar should be a 126 crew even with a paratrooper unit. Should the crew of a pack mule 75* Gun also be a 126 rather a 227 in such a case? Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I am way off base here. Is the inferior crew type (126) always from an AFV or halftrack, and a superior crew (227) the better trained crew assigned to operate a Gun? Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Duh, I did find it in the American ordinance list. I note it’s small supply of canister. C4! Not sure if it’s airborne allocation had that capacity, however; more likely when used in Italy by the 10th mountain division.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I am way off base here. Is the inferior crew type (126) always from an AFV or halftrack, and a superior crew (227) the better trained crew assigned to operate a Gun? Tim
The A25 National Capabilities Chart has what you want. the 126 is a vehicle crew, the 227 is an infantry crew. A1.123 gives a description of the designers thinking regarding crews.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I came to the same conclusion by logic, I just usually assume people with superior intelligence know more than I do. I was informed by Don 2 that the six crews representing a 60mm OBA were all 126s not 227s. We talking about if they could be brought on board, and then used in an anti-tank role. However, Don 1 insisted that this type of deployment was contrary to tactical U. S. doctrine, and while I do not fully understand this concept, I accept his logic and understanding of the American command structure. OBA by mortar groups is never intended to be used in a direct combat situation. He explained that while the myths about Rommel and German 88 emphasis their deployment in a direct anti-tank role, the bulk of German 88 shells were used in and by indirect fire methods.

rottenroller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 37* SW Gun was a late war limited production item. It uses a T number, not an M number in the name as assigned by the Ordnance Department.

No use to airborne, when you can glider transport a real 37 or 57 AT gun with wheels.

Last edited:

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I assume that this was the same weapon as the SW used as the ones used in the early Phillipines as an AT weapon by the US Marines. Also another version was popular in the French Army in 1940. In the middle of the 1930s this little weapon had been the standard AT weapon for the Marines before the introduction of the 37L. It’s inability to deal with the Japanese medium tanks, which were unexpectedly landed on the American fortress of Corregidor, caused the surrender by Gen. Wainwright due to his fear of a massacre of the hospital personnel there. The source of this was an explanation by John Gordon, who explained in a lecture that the news of the Japanese raping of British nurses in Singapore had reached the Philipine Commamd. The likely for the use of the 37 SW in late war Italy may have been because of the rough terrain along the Gothic Line. Just a guess on my part. The pack Howitizer 75* would seem to be a much better weapon. Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Giant 1 plan was cancelled because of German daytime AirPower over Rome thwarted the original plan to land an American battalion of 57LL AT Gun at a beach near Rome. Could at least a few of this potent 57LL AT actually have been sent with the paratroop drop? Or not? Tim