Inside the Failure Cascade

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Do you gamesquaders all play in a single corporation together?
No, we're scattered around. There was some talk of starting an "official" GameSquad corp for EVE, but we haven't gone that route yet. But feel free to talk about your corp or use these forums to find other players.

Are you currently in a corp?

avl90

Reaction score
I've been through a few but ultimately never really found a match. Most corps are just unorganized at best. One was just plain abusive of their newer players (which I was.) Another had only 2 active members. Another was in the process of trying to save itself from dissolution. Ultimately I decided to stop trying to find one until I could start my own.

I'd be happy to help with that, if you all decided you wanted to be together.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The Mittani is more or less correct about this being a valid approach to warfare. However, he is mistaken if he truly believes his "failure cascade" is really a new military concept. It isn't. And he didn't invent it. He can be forgiven for this mis-characterization as his training is in the field of psychology, not military staff planning.

It's been part of the U.S. Army's Air Land Battle Doctrine for decades and is in many ways the centerpiece of contemporary US military operations. It's often referred to on TV as "shock and awe," but that's just a new term for an old concept.

The US military has used this approach to great effect numerous times, but it's probably fair to give most of the credit for refining this doctrine to the German theorists responsible for the blitzkrieg tactics utilized during WWII. However, it is also fair to point out that shock and awe, while sharing similarities with blitzkrieg, is not exactly the same thing. Shock and awe puts a much greater emphasis on purposely targeting the enemy leadership. As they say, cut off the head and the body will die.

The basic idea here is to pressure the enemy in numerous ways, hitting his upper level command and leadership with more problems than can be simultaneously dealt with. If properly executed, the end result is that the enemy's leadership is mentally and psychologically overwhelmed, which in turn causes paralysis or collapse of subordinate commands, eventually rendering entire combat units ineffective. As every military leader knows, units at all echelons of command are linked and co-dependent for survival and logistics. Overwhelming the command's ability to respond will, if successful, cause a domino effect as units lose combat effectiveness or, in the very worst case scenario, units lose cohesiveness and rout. In its most successful form, this can rapidly lead to a wholesale breakdown of the entire organization. And it is worth noting that inflicting mass casualties is not a prerequisite to causing such a defeat. The rapid capitulation of France in WWII is probably a good real world example.

This is the failure cascade The Mittani is referring to. Whether you call it failure cascade, shock and awe or some other term, it is to be found in the battlefield doctrines of the US and most other Western powers.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The whole writeup reads exactly like military-political literature on how to end wars.

Aka how to defeat the enemy mentally when breaking all his stuff didn't do it.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
That's a good point.

I will say this much, the Goons have certainly handed BoB a defeat it won't soon forget. BoB has been driven out of Delve and its entire infrastructure is basically destroyed. That would not have been possible with The Mittani and his schemes.

On the other hand, the most potent weapon on the battlefield is the soldier, not the weapons and tools at his disposal. BoB has a lot of talented pilots and a lot of ISK saved up, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the alliance will make a comeback. That said, EVE's sovereignty mechanics heavily favor entrenched power blocks, and it's highly unlikely BoB would ever be able to orchestrate a one in a million coup like Goonswarm did.

If BoB moves all the way to the other side of EVE and sets up there, the Goons will follow because that's how they are.