I'd like a picture tooo :(

drklrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did check the Faq list first before asking this.

I notice the url list on the profile page to link to an avatar. Can someone point me somewhere to get instructions on this and how it works? frankly the term Avatar is a new one except in warhammer 40K LOL

thanks

br

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
br,

usually the Avatar is a GIF file (preferred size is 80x80 pixels) that is placed on your (or a friends) website.
In the Profile Section you can then link to this file (i.e. www.mypage.com/images/mypicture.gif) and voilá, your Avatar will show up with your personal information whenever you post here.
I hope this helps

Klaus, with a cool avatar :)

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a pretty technical back ground (mostly in networking) and it seems a lot of people on this site also do. (maybe there is an underlying thread for discussion there about ASL and DBA's and MSCP's and CCNA"s :D

perhaps that is where all the acronyms come from.

So (luckily being the CIO at my company) all I really need to do is go to the web administrator on my staff and say here put this gif file on our web server and bury it under a couple of file directories where no one will ever see it and then type the address in my profile ????

I can't decide if this whole concept sounds too easy or too COOOOL
:p

thanks
br

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That'll work.

If you have any problems, I can always host on my site at home, and send you the URL.

Speaking of CCNA, I'm CCNP, CCDP.

Andrew

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You can also put a gif on your computer at home, install a web server (Apache is free), secure it, and link to that.

Granted, this solution is more work, and it will only work if your computer is on. :)

Nat

drklrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would have to be running a globally routable ip adress on my home pc wouldn't I??? I am currently running on cable broadband (dsl has not been available for running on 2 years now) and the provider offers access on through dynamic addressing. I do know there are some services on the net that are work arounds for dynamic address ing but that adds yet another layer of complexity to it. one of the vendors for vpn servicxe i deal with at work has told me that I might be able to get dsl at home in august. I might try setting up apache then. hopefully next week I'll get a gif file set up from a work address and then move it later.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just because you've got a dynamic address, doesn't mean it's not globally routable. It's whether or not they use NAT that determines your global routability.

If you've got an address in these ranges, then you're not globally routable:

192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255
172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255
10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255

I've had a .com DNS tied to my dynamic IP address at home for years.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to take into account your Linksys router (if you have one). Those definitely perform NAT, however I believe you can configure them for PAT (port address translation), so that you can host DNS on one of the above addresses internal to your network at home. That's how I have my W2K server configured to allow inbound access to various services hosted on hosts inside my network at home.

jserrano

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I thought I knew something about computers but you two just made me realize I am getting too old for this stuff. Computers I mean, not ASL.

drklrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOL :D

actually atuline probably knows a LOT more than I do I have been in a managment role for about 5 years and have lost a lot of my technical edge

But I do promise not to get any more technical, this thread is beginging to sound like it belongs on a cisco forum.

But atuline could you shoot me an email off line about the service or technic that you use to get a .com on DNS to route to a dynamic address?

last thought

learning ASL seems much harder to me than learning hoe IP routing works

drklrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOL :D

actually atuline probably knows a LOT more than I do I have been in a managment role for about 5 years and have lost a lot of my technical edge

But I do promise not to get any more technical, this thread is beginging to sound like it belongs on a cisco forum.

But atuline could you shoot me an email off line about the service or technic that you use to get a .com on DNS to route to a dynamic address?

last thought

learning ASL seems much harder to me than learning hoe IP routing works