Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 13+ years

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

rw527

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How long have you been playing ASL? Do you play any other boardgames? i'm also curious what PC games people here play.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Newbie to ASL as of March 2003.

I've been in a Return to Castle Wolfenstein Clan almost since the game came out. We're at www.dpguild.net, and it now has members in various FPS games.

Also play RTCW:ET, C&C Generals, AoMythology, Conquerors, and just recently Blitzkrieg.

Combat Mission won't run on my home computer.

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This poll was clearly made by a newbie, your last poll option should have been set as "to damn long" :)

da priest

Reaction score
Andrew Tuline said:
Newbie to ASL.

I've been in a Return to Castle Wolfenstein Clan almost since the game came out. We're at www.dpguild.net, and it now has members in various FPS games.

Also play RTCW:ET, C&C Generals, AoMythology, Conquerors.

Combat Mission won't run on my home computer.
Now this is a very sick man---ASL only, forever---

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A computer that won't run CM, hmm that sounds dreadful to be sure.

I kinda think of CM as a nice enough but rapidly aging design not nearly as demanding as most other games.

When not pursuing a boad game though, I play Steel Panthers simply because it does a great job of looking like an ASLish sort of game.

At the higher levels there is Panzer General series or The Operational Art of War series or Strategic Command for grand strategy.

Plenty of other games out there of course, but eventually you realise you can only game out something so many different ways.
Often the only one that will need the newest or latest, is someone that missed the previous must have design.

Although, if you look up CD Access.com, you can find a lot of good games that are still buyable, but for peanuts.

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I play Operation Flashpoint,Call of Duty,TacOps occasionally and I'm getting CMAK on PC.Boardgames I have played:Central Front,African Campaign,Battle of the Bulge(Smithsonian edition),Team Yankee,Battletech,and I've preordered DAK cos' The Western Desert is an Interest of mine.I've also played a few RPG's.Crikey,talk about being a geek,It's a wonder I get laid at all. :D ;)

Edit:Oh yeah,only started playing ASL this year.

Last edited:

Priest

Reaction score
Just started although I have played SL for a number of years. Computer games include TOAW-COW, FA/18 (Iraq mod), SFP1, USAF SP9, SPWAWH2H, SPWW2 & SPMBT.

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I voted 4-5 years, but in reality I don't play ASL often, by period I would say. And since I have a pc and an internet connection I play a lot in PBEM, with less game FtF with others players. It is true that PBEM help a lot to gain time and place. It is your wife who is happy.

LaPalice.

Mark Warren

Reaction score
Country
ll
Another newbie vote from me <1 year.

Although like Priest I played SL, CoI and CoD for a few years many moons ago. I like the Area Movement games (TPS, MM:MM etc). And still awaiting the day a friend of mine breaks out Streets of Stalingrad and finds a table large enough to play it!

I also played Up Front to death and patiently await the day it is re-released. I only managed to buy Banzai and not the other expansion(s) as I was a poor student at the time.

These days ASL takes up most (well all) of my boardgame time.

I'd love to give Combat Mission a go but alas it will not run on Mac OS X (one day perhaps).

Jeff H

Reaction score
Country
ll
Wow - You chaps actually have time to play anything else !!

I would be hung, drawn and quartered by the wife, if I even considered spending any more time gaming.

And now she knows that ASL can be played on the computer, I can't even set up on the dining room table anymore .... :rolleyes:

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Guys
My vote was playing ASL for too long. I also do play Combat Mission and I espcially thinks it is a great way of trying out different tactics for upcoming ASL scenarios.
Well, if that scenario is playable on CM that means.
When will we get to see early war i Western Europe for CM ?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My dining room table is actually something I rebuilt after the fire in the ole gang for table top miniatures fizzled in record time (it was the expense I think).
It began as a 4x8 plywood sheet with legs.

But I got bored looking at it with a massive table cloth to hide the fact it was just plywood and belt sanded the whole thing edged it and made a trestle type base for it.

Have you ever tried belt sanding and pad sanding a 4x8 sheet of spruce plywood before guys? :)

We got a guy at Matrix Games itching to computerise Up Front, but I have not heard boo on that matter for eons now it seems.
As for the re release of the game, well it seems it fell off the list of to dos at MMP somehow. Or I have not seen any indication it is going anywhere.
But they made a cool move to convert all the chits and counters to full card status (cool move), and then eliminated the programmed instruction method from the rules (brain dead idea).

It's no wonder that PanzerBlitz II the reborn game of the century seems out in limbo as well.

I think MMP needs to hire someone that wants to get things accomplished. They have some of the best known best liked most famous wargames in history under their care, and they are not getting anywhere :(

Curious, whenever the topic of old classic favs comes up, I never see any mention of the Assault system that was big in the 80's. I have all the modules to it, and it was clearly THE modern game to play then.
Anyone even know this game?

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Sure know the Assault system, I also once had all modules for it.
I even anaged to introduce my officers at military training to play it and the even had me introduce the game to the officer staff at the Regiment I served with.

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I try to play ASL since less than a year. The main problem with this kind of game is to find other players. I hope that VASL and play by email will help me about it.

Actually, I don't play very much. Other games? Well, I am trying Rise of Roman Republic now (it can be played in solitaire, how nice). About computers... just the classic of strategy: Civilization (I, II and III).

Some years ago I tried also some flight simulators. The funniest one was Red Baron 3D, with those planes more dangerous for their pilots than the enemy's ones.

Sometimes I go back to the real classic and king of games: chess. I never succedded in being a good player, or even an average one. Maybe I should learn more about chess and forget the rest of games for it is the real universal game. Maybe this may sound heretic in this forum.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Oh ho! Popular topic :)

Started ASLing at the tender age of 13, so I've been going for over half my life now. Big sabbatical between 16 and 24, though, and I've only been playing real opponents for three years now.

Don't really play PC or console games - computer won't run much more than Civ III.

Will play pretty much any game under the sun. Euros, RPGs, even GW now and then. But not chess. Always strikes me as a memory game.

St Just

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First "serious" wargame: Stalingrad (AH), in 1978. Started SL in 1983, played through the GI Level, then switched to ASL when it came out.
Favorite other wargame: War and Peace. Sentimental Favorite: Battle of the Bulge '81 (this would be the game I would use to introduce someone to wargaming). Honorable mention: Panzergruppe Guderian.
Have any wargames been invented since 1990? Who cares!

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There ARE good games being produced and since 1990 actually.

They have not gotten a lot of press perhaps.

Columbia Games has produced I think some games that would have been known as inductry classics if they had appeared 20 years earlier. But the shadow of the machine has maybe stolen some of their potential away.

Victory : The Blocks of War is perhaps one sterling example of a wargame that can get past perhaps are one biggest hurdle in wargaming, complexity issue. It is also able to accomodate 6 players in one game.

It has a fog of war element as well which makes it unique.

The Panzer Grenadier game from Avalanche Press also I think suffers only from having been made recently and not the 80's.

When I started wargaming, you either played board games or you didn't. Eventually we had rolegames stealing away some of our potential audience. Today it is a major division of effort with the computer.

A lot of people that will play rolegames of computer versions of course would never have ended up playing conventional board games in the first place.
A lot of people claim to be hybrid players, when 30 years ago odds are they would have not had enough interest to get them into wargaming at all. That is not negative or positive though, just an observation.

I pick up a wargame at the local EB and immediately I can pick it apart without having played it. You can react to that as if I was arrogant if you must, it was not my intent to boast. I am just basically an old wargamer used to learning all my wargames only after digesting lengthy rules manuals.
Way to many years of mastering arcane notions such as ZOC, supply lines, command radius, movement ranges, stacking, replacement steps, odds ratios etc. All of what a good wargame now routinely hides inside of the program, was and still is something I routinely easily "see" quite readily.

I suppose, that explains why I don't see ASL as being that hard to play.

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
LestheSarge9-1 said:
When I started wargaming, you either played board games or you didn't. Eventually we had rolegames stealing away some of our potential audience. Today it is a major division of effort with the computer.

A lot of people that will play rolegames of computer versions of course would never have ended up playing conventional board games in the first place.
This could open an interesting new thread: computer games vs boardgames.

The problem about computer games is that they grow out of fashion. Maybe you will teach your grandson how to play ASL but at that time for sure your favorite computer game won't run anymore in the new operating system of your future computer... even if you keep the game CD.

On the other hand, boardgames are more durable... people have been playing chess, draughts, backgammon or dominoes for centuries. They are not wargames but for sure they do are boardgames... yes, I think that this should be a good start for a new thread with more oppinions.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Board vs computer hmm well I have been there on numerous websites, not sure anyone reeeeeeeeeally wants me to go and do it again heheh.

I will let someone else take the blame for starting that thread heheh.

Suffice it to say, both sides have a lot of pluses and minuses (as i have observed on those threads). It depends how much the pluses and minuses count to the indivuidual in the end.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's nice to see so many ASL newbies as well as old timers out there.

It shows that despite the challenges in obtaining ASL introductory material (at this time), there are still folks that are prepared to overcome them, and get into the hobby.

It also shows the excellent staying power of it as well.

Last edited: