How do I take down Tobruk in DAKII?

swell

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
anyone have any suggestions on how to take a heavily defended Tobruk in DAK. Its early in the war (dec 40’) I am the brits and have just launched Operation Compass and have pushed the Italians back to Tobruk. I’m pretty sure he has loaded the city with arty and the hedgehogs surrounding the city are level 1. I was thinking off trying to stay out of range of the arty and try to DG some of his units with air but I am still going to get pounded, I guess I just have to hope he rolls low on those barrages and use reserves to attack with. :confused:

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think you're right: you are going to get pounded.
Try: move your own arty up and use it after the air goes in, you might get lucky.
If he fires at the arty units he'll use up supply as well and MIGHT not fire at the inf that are moving up too.
If its not too big of a deal( like you need the port) why not just let it sit on the vine? He can't have that much supply in there.
I can't remember: do you also have naval support?
Also, thinking about it, what if its a bluff?? Early war, may be units in there he can't afford to lose ?? Since I play a mean Russian, I'd go for it myself ;)

Last edited:

ermj1986

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think a good strategy is to get combat units adjacent to the port in order to shut down its trace supply ability (DAK rule 3.7). Attrition will help to reduce the units in addition to barrage.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It is actually very easy to take Tobruk. You just need to accumulate 6 to 8 SPs. That is the hard part.

A couple of things to consider:
Defensive artillery fires first in the sequence - thus you dont have to declare your attack until after reaction phase barrage.

Use reserves and/or leaders. The first attack in regular combat can take 2 or three steps out of a outer hex. Reserves can be released to kill the last steps needed to secure the hex or to push adjacent to Tobruk.

Manipulate a double turn. You can do this 2x in a row.

I believe that OCS makes it far too easy to crack a heavily fortified position by using the above.

David

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
The difference in quality between your units & the Italians will make a huge difference to any post barrage combat, in your favour.