Have you fired your Petard lately?

G

Have you fired your Petard lately? I have read a lot of British unit histories lately and it appears that the AVRE and Petard use were very common. It seems this is somewhat underrepresented in ASL. But I cannot remember the last time I actually fired a 290mm gun. In fact I cannot remember ever securing a target hit with one. With the omnipresent German PF threat, the AVRE seems to rarely get into action effectively.

Do you have an AVRE story to share with us?

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Couldn't resist...

Furthermore has anyone been hoisted by their own petard?

Seriously, I've never even heard of this armament. Is it found inherent to the AVRE for reducing fortifications? 290mm you say? I'd use it!

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
And me...

Never used the AVRE in ASL. Your point about their prevalence in unit histories is good, though. It also seems to me that in every NWE action post-Normandy, either the AVRE or the Croc (or both) turned up to lend a hand.

All we need now is a scenario pitting AVREs against Sturmtigers!

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Flaming AVREs

Just played half of Goch Ya (HS22) at our monthly Twin Cities ASL Club gathering with the wily JB playing the Brits. His OB had 2 x AVREs and 2 x Churchills. I flamed both AVREs with PFs in the same turn with some very cooperative dice rolls -- THs of 4. Rolled a 3 both times. The AVREs never got a shot off. Doing so is a tough proposition for the Brits since the have to enter PF range to have a decent TH. This has been a tight scenario so far. Look for an AAR once we finish after the new year.

G

Re: Flaming AVREs

houlie63 said:
Just played half of Goch Ya (HS22) at our monthly Twin Cities ASL Club gathering with the wily JB playing the Brits. His OB had 2 x AVREs and 2 x Churchills. I flamed both AVREs with PFs in the same turn with some very cooperative dice rolls -- THs of 4. Rolled a 3 both times. The AVREs never got a shot off. Doing so is a tough proposition for the Brits since the have to enter PF range to have a decent TH. This has been a tight scenario so far. Look for an AAR once we finish after the new year.
This is very common since the AVRE range is right within the PF kill zone. Is the PF threat too strong in ASL? I'm not sure. While I agree the PF was common, the AVRE was employed effectively. The qustion then becomes, how was the AVRE so successful in the face of the PF threat. I think the answer is that the PF is somewhat overstated in ASL. However, the PF rules are not going to change so we need some AVRE tactics discussion here so we can figure out a way to employ this vehicle effectivelyin ASL.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no doubt to me that the PF threat in ASL, esp. with its guaranteed hit = kill, is way too strong.