half life 2

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think valve really hurt themselves by releasing this game so late. Before Far Cry and Doom 3 those graphics would have been awesome, now they are just decent. But I think that a lot of the people that buy the game will be buying it for the mods (I am doing that), and other features of the game...physics :drool:...

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Counterstrike: Source (basically counterstrike 2) beta was released today to cybercafe subscribers. Cybercafe is a system set up by valve to help the internet cafe's and such get their valve software and mods updated easily. I don't really care about the whole cybercafe thing, I'm just excited that some piece of Half-Life 2 is finally in the publics hands (and isn't a leaked, illegal, alpha version).

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess this means I need to send my voucher in for HL2 free...

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to new information, Half-Life 2 will be pre-loading on Steam beginning August 17th. If this is true, then we can probably see a shipping date confirmed within a month.

Getting close, oh boy.

MomoJak00

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by gobeavs
I think they may look better, but the physics engine in HL2 will rock!
One Word: MANIPULATOR!

Using crates, desks, gastanks, and enemy grenades as projectiles?
YES'M!

I'd pay fitty bucks for that nyday! But i get HL2 for free because i bought an ati video card!

CANNI GETTA BOYAH!

After being slightly disapointed by doom 3 i'm rooting for HL2.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by MomoJak00
One Word: MANIPULATOR!

Using crates, desks, gastanks, and enemy grenades as projectiles?
YES'M!

I'd pay fitty bucks for that nyday! But i get HL2 for free because i bought an ati video card!

CANNI GETTA BOYAH!

After being slightly disapointed by doom 3 i'm rooting for HL2.
I get HL2 for free too, if I ever send in the voucher.

But wait, manipulator? What's that?

I thought they used the havoc engine.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is the havok engine. No idea what manipulator is about...

With the voucher I think you get in on the CS source beta also, and IIRC that should be within the next week or two.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is the havok engine. No idea what manipulator is about...

With the voucher I think you get in on the CS source beta also, and IIRC that should be within the next week or two.
Yeah which is why I need to get off my ass and make all the photocopying I need to do to send it in... :mad:

And yeah, havok, I forgot it was with a k. :)

MomoJak00

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Overseer
I get HL2 for free too, if I ever send in the voucher.

But wait, manipulator? What's that?

I thought they used the havoc engine.
The manipulator is a gun that allows you to pick up anything that is not screwed, nailed, or otherwise secured and use it as a projectile.

Posibilities include:
~ Dead Enemy Bodies
~ Radiators
~ Thrown Enemy Grenades
~ Propagn tanks
~ Crates
~ Anything your sick mind can think of!

Jorath13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Overseer
Dude, it's not hard to know what's going on. I mean the in game plot was decent, but the overall plot was pretty simple: ALIENS ARE COMING TO KILL US!!!!!!!
Yes, but there were undercurrents in the game. Remember when you're blasting along and you see scientists running ahead of you so you start to follow and then you see a couple guys in military garb and MGs drop in and start to mow down the scientists? I sat there flabbergasted for a full minute and nearly got shot dead myself for my troubles. It was then that I realized I wasn't playing a Doom/Quake clone (run, shoot, strafe, shoot) but a truly thought out game.

While the plot can be generalized, you never knew what the sinister man in black wanted until the near end.

Of course, if I've got 1 bitch it's that whole entire Xen world experience...sheesh I hated that part. Somewhat interesting at points, but I never understood why I was there.

Jorath13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Another screenshot

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
Those aliens aren't that good looking Jim...

Dr. S.
Bear in mind that any Doom3 screenie doesn't look that good either...it's while the game is in motion that you are mesmerized. I've seen early movies of the HL2 game (before the code was stolen) and I've got to say I was very, very excited.

Jorath13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think valve really hurt themselves by releasing this game so late. Before Far Cry and Doom 3 those graphics would have been awesome, now they are just decent. *snip*
They're not releasing it late. It was finished last year at this time but some moronic pirate scum had to steal the code and compromise Valve's product. They had to go back and make changes to the final game. I think you'll see the graphics will beat out Far Cry but not Doom3 imho.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jorath13
They're not releasing it late. It was finished last year at this time but some moronic pirate scum had to steal the code and compromise Valve's product. They had to go back and make changes to the final game. I think you'll see the graphics will beat out Far Cry but not Doom3 imho.
Thats what they want you to think.....
Don't worry I'm not some nut, its just why would they delay the game because someone stole some code? If it was finished they would have pushed it out earlier so people would get it from them, not the thiefs. Also, I don't think it would take a year to make whatever changes to the final game had to be made.

Someone was lying about release dates I think. Either that or something else happened.

MomoJak00

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thats what they want you to think.....
Don't worry I'm not some nut, its just why would they delay the game because someone stole some code? If it was finished they would have pushed it out earlier so people would get it from them, not the thiefs. Also, I don't think it would take a year to make whatever changes to the final game had to be made.

Someone was lying about release dates I think. Either that or something else happened.
Check Planet Half-life's cartoons on the subject of the delay.

It's Gabe Newell's evil plan, MAN! The G-Man's comin' to get us, MAN!

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jorath13
It wasn't done. It was still pretty far from completion. The code that was leaked was enough to hack together an alpha basically. I didn't see id Software crying all that much when their alpha got leaked.

Valve, in my opinion, acts irresponsibly in a number of ways.