Graveyared Road Hexside

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Is there some restriction on having to be able to enter a hex to setup there (provided otherwise legal to setup)? I mean if infantry were on an Island (like say the Japanese on Gavutuu-Tanambogo), that is clearly legal.

Why couldn't a HT setup behind that one-hex circular wall (Board 12?). Probably not the best spot to setup in most situations, but hey.
"A2.9 SETUP LIMITATIONS: A unit/weapon may not set up overstacked or in a hex it could not enter during the normal course of play, but vehicles can set up free of Bog/Immobilization in hexes whose entry might cause Bog. See D4.221 for the possibility of vehicles setting up in HD status. Infantry may always set up in Crest status (B20.9). No enemy stack (i.e., all units/SW/Guns/entrenchment-counters in a given Location) may be inspected prior to the start of play (see also 12.12 & 12.3). Up to 10% (FRU) of the squads that set up on-board, and up to 10% (FRU) of the squads that enter in a given turn, may be freely Deployed (without leader/TC) prior to setup, if the nationality is capable of Deployment."

A HT could set up behind that one-hex circular wall (Board 10). But a HT is a Heavy Tank in ASL lingo and as such could move there during the normal course of the game. ;)

You probably mean a ht, i.e. Half-Track. A ht cannot set up there because ht's cannot enter that place since they are unable to cross walls.

There are some other specialties.
Factories have vehicular sized entrance. It is possible to set up any vehicle despite being not fully-tracked in a Factory hex with a vehicular sized entry (B23.742).

Another interesting case is the large size Gun, which normally may NOT set up within a building. So can a German large 88L AA Gun set up in a non-fortified Factory? Or perhaps in a non-fortified Factory hex with a vehicular sized entry?

I *think* the answer is 'no' - it has been discussed before but I cannot remember the details and rather have JR or Klas explain it. At least I am pretty sure that a non-vehicular sized Factory hex is N/A despite the reasoning that a vehicle with a Gun in tow might enter a factory through a vehicular sized entry. Once in there and unhooked, such a gun could theoretically be pushed within the factory. I seem to recall that this was ruled out by the general limitation of setting or moving certain types of Guns in/into buildings:

"B23.423 GUNS: No weapon depicted on a 5/8" counter may occupy an upper level of a building [EXC: Mortars (23.85); Fortified Building (23.93)]. A non-vehicular weapon on a 5/8" counter may be set up or pushed into a building/rubble only if it is either a small target (C2.271) or an AT/INF Gun that is not a large target. Mortar fire, and MG/Gun attacks vs Aerial targets, are not allowed from a non-rooftop building Location."

von Marwitz